Gear and boat report for Brazos trip | SouthernPaddler.com

Gear and boat report for Brazos trip

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Gear and boat report for Brazos trip

The first thing I have to say is the canoe of Chucks and Darells perow,Bear Bell canoe all did a great job.
This trip reminded me why I build the boats I build and use the paddles I use. My closed decks and low profile made it a lot easier on me than the other guys, the second thing was the paddles, in shallow water I could still get a bite with my double when they couldn't with there canoe paddles, also it was much easier for me to paddle straight into the wind than it was for them,I was sitting lower and the double paddle with a low stroke didn't catch much wind. The bottom on the T-V still floated as shallow as any even with a heavy load.
I had just bought the little pop up tent from Academy a couple weeks before , Less than a minute to put it up and the same for taking it down and it handled the wind well,not bad for 49.00 bucks, the only change I will make is to pick up some cabiners to attach the rain fly ,there set up is not good enough. I had room for my army cott cooler and dry bags inside.
The cooler is an esental item as far as I am concernered ,lets me eat good fast and hot food, Chuck had the pleasure of his first marqireta on the rocks plenty of Ice for adult refreshments.
The little grill works well and I do most of my cooing on it ,but I am still in love with my little single burner propane stove,
frito pie on the sandbar it worked really well, coffe in the morning , and the morning after the storm just shake the water out of it and fix coffee. PLus Chuck and I were getting a little chiled wet before day light the morning of the storm we set it inside the tent for a few minutes and took the chill out of us.
The folding chair kayak seat is great.
I guess my whole point on this little ramble is you build and choose boats for your local and water conditions the same

for camping gear. If I had been in Chucks backyard are bears there equipment would have been better suited than mine

Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Different parts of this country require different ways of camping and paddling ... both gear and boats. About the only thing that stays a constant is the cooking and cooling of the food. Also might want to toss in the Margareta on the rocks , that would be good anywhere.
Some of the swamps around here a hammock is the only way to go because the ground is spongy and wet with trees all over ( sometimes to many to hang a hammock in) while you have gravel bars which are solid and dry and no trees. It just depends on where you are.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
If the Hennessy were more adaptable to being used as a tent, it would be an all around, hands down winner. It sparkles with trees; doesn't without them.

Rather than one guy having several types of stoves with him, I think it's handier if several guys have their own kinds of stove (wood, alcohol, propane, gasoline, etc) and we use whatever is handiest at the time.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
My reason for liking the propane
clean no leaking fluid are anything to spill
same fuel for my lantern
No soot on pots and pans
I normally make coffe on a stove maybe cook a little on it ,my other stove is my grill and 90 percent of my cooking is over an open fire,so I have the best of both worlds
I tried another little item out on this trip,I was in Wally World and found a head light like I wanted on sale for 9 bucks ,usualy 25 bucks. It worked well
There will be one thing I change about my camping after this trip and the trip with Jack, one more thing will be added for me to have handy at night,flashlight,pop gun,and a knife. If Jack and I had been in the tents when the rise came that might have saved you being able to cut your way out of the tent will rolling down the river,the same with Chuck if he had rolled far a few more yards he could have wound up in the river. Yep a knife handy at night from now on.
Ron.

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
My little Pirogue is a great little boat. it has always done what I have asked of it, but it IS NOT made for long distance paddles in current and rapids. I'll be glad to finish the stripper up. The only other piece of gear I really used on this trip is my tarp and I would not have took a $1,000 for Weds. night. :lol: It WILL be with me on all trips from now on. It's a blanket,sunshade,wind break, and a pretty good storm cellar.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

My problem paddlin' agin a strong wind iz bein' tall. Rocker aint nuthin' compared ta bein' a tall fella. It had me flyin' downriver even faster when it come a 50 mph tailwind. That kinda headwind sends me back up river even in my Bell Merlin II which iz the lowest boat I ever paddled. Considerin' the freak storm that hit us, I dont fault any gear that failed. Ronnie's dome tent wuz a better choice, but he had a full cooler, heavy cot 'n other gear inside hiz tent. Ronnie aint a little fella. [chuckle]

If all this had come down on us the first nite, it woulda been extra tuff, but if I had kept my shoes inside my tent, I coulda put some duct tape on my tent pole 'n made it anuther nite....az long az anuther 90 mph wind didnt stop by fer a visit. The natural concrete on the Brazos tore the hell out of the bottom of my Bell Merlin II. If I paddle it agin, I will use my whitewater boat 'er mebbe the Merrimac. [chuckle]

regards
bearridge

At the end of a century that has seen the evils of communism, Nazism and other modern tyrannies, the impulse to centralize power remains amazingly persistent. Joseph Sobran

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Bear we could have whittled a piece of wood to fit the stakes and drove it in both pieces then some duck tape and camped another week.
Ron

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Ronnie,

I reckon a duct tape splint woulda done the job, but yer idea 'n mine together would likely have stood up ta a 60 mph wind.

In time I mite have figgered out a way ta save my poles, but I aint sho bout the Buffalo next week. I aim ta take my hammock, but I never used one on the Buffalo. Rite now it iz near bout freezin' over there. I wanted some store bought Eureka poles in case I felt the need ta take that tent instead of the hammock. I had some cheap tents. None of 'em ever held up like a Eureka Timberline.

Wonder how come Darrell didnt post the windspeed on hiz last trip? Now ya'll know what happens when ya camp/paddle with the High Sheriff. I reckon Darrell felt safe takin' them kids out since Chuck wuz on hiz way back ta the Sunshine State. [chuckle]

regards
bearridge

ps Yer boat wuz the hands down winner....if all ya had ta do wuz slap some paint on the bottom. I figger Darrell had the hard paddle, but then Darrell dont seem ta run outta git up 'n go. [grin]

Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save.  Will Rogers

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ha Ha Ha ... I should not say this but it must be because I still have some of that Texas mud on the Jeep. It was windy yesterday and today the temp has dropped , the wind has come up and it is really windy and cold outside. The wife accused me of dragging the weather back from Texas with me.
According to the weather folks we will be breaking the records for chilly weather today and tomorrow. When I arrived home Sunday it was almost 90 outside , sunny and HOT.

Chuck.