George L. Smith State Park | SouthernPaddler.com

George L. Smith State Park

Nockatee

Nov 21, 2008
Tryon, NC
After the initial trials with my punt, a plan was hatched to take a trek on Ebeneezer Creek near Savannah.
After the rain the last two weeks, the creeks and rivers were flowing too hard for a trip that would be more testing of the boat's handling.
One of the fellows said the Ogeechee river was almost up to the roadbed at the Oliver Landing!

So, an alternate trek was planned and we met at George L. Smith State park near Metter, GA.
The park is off the beaten path and doesn't appear to be over used. The centerpiece of the park is a 450+ acre lake that is formed by a mill dam and fed by two streams. It has good access to the lake which has several trails that wind through stands of cypress and tupelo. The coffee colored water moves gently in most places, but has enough flow in some areas to make you work for your fun. It also looks like it harbors plenty of fish. :wink:
There are some nice looking campsites. Some are by water's edge. There is a larger primitive group camp area with it's own landing area as well as a few nicely appointed cabins. Hiking trails, boat rentals, good day use facilities make for a nice place to visit.
The mill house has exhibits about the history of timber and turpentine industry in the area.

So here we go!
Starting out by the mill house...this is the most open area of the lake.

Trying the pole and a new paddle. The water was much deeper in this lake than expected and I didn't get to pole the boat as much as I thought I would.

I got Dave aboard as crew and we headed off on the trails following Will in his kayak. They wind through paths among the stands of cypress and tupelo trees and by mixing the different paths you can make a full day of exploring. Once deeper in the trails, most traces of civilization disappear. The punt maneuvered through the tight spaces with ease.
Most of the wildlife we saw were birds. Hawks, Green Heron, Duck, songbirds.
Will pointed out one of these little fellows right above my head......

A Prothonotary Warbler! A new one for my list. He wasn't a bit shy. Will said they hang out where there aren't many people, so they aren't as wary.

Moving along the trails we noticed "Galls" on many of the trees. this one was interesting and had ferns growing on it.

Lots of old "woodpecker condos" stood in the water. I even saw an old tree stump with those unmistakable upside down chevrons where the tree had been cut for rosin collection. Saw one beaver lodge and a few turtles sunning themselves. Only one small watersnake was seen.

After awhile, we looked for a place to relax and have some lunch.
With the punt we just ran the bow up on the bank and climbed out...dry feet. :D

Will had to take care to find a spot he could pull up parallel to the bank.

Even though he got his feet wet (he had on neoprene booties) he got the cool points for cooking lunch . He pulls out his "PENNY STOVE" and has a hot lunch of chicken and rice while Dave and I ate our cold grub.

Dave was in such a state of repose, we thought he was going to mutiny and refuse to be a galley slave no more. :lol:

After lunch, we wound our way back towards the mill on the red trail. Note, you need to keep a keen eye on the markers. If you get off track, you can get off into some places it takes some work to get out of.....don't ask me how I know. :roll: Regulations call for boats off the lake at dusk. Believe me, I would not want to be back in there trying to find my way in the dark.

It was a most enjoyable day out with perfect weather and temps. The punt performed to my expectations and is in it's element in this kind of water. Will clocked Dave and I for speed with his GPS and we were able to get the boat moving along nearly 4mph w/o too much fuss. I made about 3.5mph solo, but as Bear said...I would need to swing the paddle like John Henry hammering to keep it up. Give me gently flowing current, and I will be happy to ease right along.

This park is worth a trip for a day or staying over. We talked about how nice it would have been to have been able to pull up to a camp on the edge of the lake with a mess of brim and have a fish fry right there. Some day soon!

Nockatee

http://www.gastateparks.org/info/georgels/

savannahkelly

Dec 7, 2008
If you like a well kept camping area that rarely has a full campground except for the busiest of holiday weekends, this is a place you want to spend a weekend at. About 6 or 7 years ago, my 2 sons and I had a boys only weekend where we took our pop-up camper and rented a jon boat to have access to the lake. Fish weren't biting that well for us as i remember, but my sons were of the age they enjoyed all the bugs and critters we could find as we explored the lake. Except for the rain we got at night, it was a very enjoyable weekend for us. When we talked to the rangers there they said the fishing is usually pretty good there.

Nockatee

Nov 21, 2008
Tryon, NC
seedtick said:
did you try poling while standing on the back deck

Seedtick, I did not stand on the rear deck.
I did sit on it while paddling and even with Dave up front, the boat sat a bit high in the bow.
If she were wider, that might not happen. Of course that would be at the price of nimbleness and ease in paddling.
Nock

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
That is some pretty water. I'm with Chuck - there just HAS to be fish in there. You've got me thinking about taking a long weekend sometime.

gbinga

Nockatee

Nov 21, 2008
Tryon, NC
oldsparkey said:
The water with all those Cypress Trees standing in it sure looked like good Bream Country. A fly rod or an ultralight would provide a good fish fry. :D

Chuck.

I have an old rod called a "Bream Buster" that has to be 0ver 40 years old.
Thinking I'm going to have to dust it off and get my license. :wink:
When I was younger and living in Gainesville, FL, I terrorized the bream and perch population in the area using that rod. :twisted:
Funny how history repeats itself. I recently read an excerpt from "Travels" by William Bartram. He described two men in a dugout fishing with a "Long pole with a fly made of feathers and horse hair. One would paddle the boat along the shore while the other jigged the lure at the water's surface ". That almost describes how we fished as kids. Simple, but soooo much fun!
Nock