gettin' there | SouthernPaddler.com

gettin' there

Scooter

Just a few progress pics made last weekend. Cut my own stem pieces, so guess I need to round them before glassing the bottom. Might get sidetracked sanding inside so it'll be ready for a coat of epoxy too.

Getting sidetracked is ok. Keep telling myself it's the process I enjoy as much as anything. Heck I'd build it even if I never intended to put it on the water.

Ooohh....wait a sec...started cutting out sides for the folding chair Sunday evening. Yeah, sidetracked happens. :D :roll:
frontonhorses.JPG

end.JPG

sunnyunder.JPG

broadside.JPG

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Scooter,

Nice Job mate. :D

What is the little box thingamy on the stem?

Oh yeah, Love the scenery where the piccie was taken. Apart from the deciduouis trees, could well be in my little town.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend scooter,

I fergot which river ya aim ta wet yer paddle in.

a curious
bearridge

I hate political correctness because it's founded on the idea that by means of language you can escape truth -- that if you simply give a different name to something you've somehow changed it. It is a very childlike idea. P. J. O'Rourke

Scooter

It's a piece of 2x4 glued to the front that needs to be shaped into a non-box. :lol:

Gotta luv the sunshine. 8) First really nice weather we've had. Glad to see spring approaching. Guess you guys down under are headin' into winter. Fall is a good season too.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Well, I'll be danged. Scooter, we drive the Old Copper Road at least 4 times a year. Are ya north frum Ducktown? I drove thru it the year the big flood come 'n they tole folks in the Ducktown area ta head fer higher ground. It wuz before the Olympic whitewater paddlin'. The haystacks on the upper Ocoee near bout took my breath away.

Miz Bear, me, Swamprat, mebbe Swampy, hiz boy, Miz Jean, Sam, the High Sheriff 'n a few more on this cockeyed forum may be up that way in early May. Nobody will be puttin' a homemade boat on the Tuckaseegee 'er the Nantahala, but that dont keep us frum eatin' good 'n tellin' some tall tales.

If ya wanna come over 'n join us fer some high life, let me know.

regards
bearridge

ps Caney Fork haz some whitewater, rite?

Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

Wimperdink

Feb 21, 2007
East TN in the Smokies
funny they just mentioned on the news we are in a mediocre drought. As for that lake and the one i'm on, they are hydro electric dammed lakes. They make electicity in the winter therefore the low water... leave them up for recreation during the summer.

Scooter

Steve you were my inspiration with the stem blocks. 8)

Dunno if Caney fork has whitewater, expect it does somewhere. I'm about 3 hours from the Ocoee. I more or less stumbled across the lake several years ago when I saw a sign for Edgar Evins State Park and followed the road. It's a neat place.

My pics were made in fall of '05. Can't be a drought...every time I wanna do something outside it rains!! :x

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Scooter said:
My pics were made in fall of '05. Can't be a drought...every time I wanna do something outside it rains!! :x

Scooter...

Welcome to the club. All I have to do is think about camping or paddling and it rains. I could be in the middle of the Arizona desert and break out a tent which would cause flash floods all around me.

I have better luck down here in the land of heat and humidity , commonly called Florida ... I have managed to camp in three hurricanes , even one time in the smokies , the dang thing tracked me down up there.

Tried out the new camper , left the house , nice weather , sunny and clear , got to where I wanted to camp , turned on to the road in there ..... rain...... set the camper up ... rain.... rained all that day , that night , in the morning just when I was going to pack up and go home the rain stopped.

Beautiful weather all the way home. :lol:

Chuck.

VTFogg

Jan 14, 2007
Rutland, Vermont
Lookin good Scooter. Question though - What is that green stuff on the ground? It looks a little familiar, but I just can't seem to recall. My ground is covered with white stuff. Hmmmmm. Maybe I'll ask Jack if he can remember what it is. - VTFogg