Getting ready to start | SouthernPaddler.com

Getting ready to start

Jul 6, 2007
Niagara Peninsula
Hello, I got my plans for the Freedom last week, today I finished my last project now I can clean the shop and start building the boat.
When I started to shop for supplies I found that epoxy is much more expensive here in the great white (hot) north.Buying from Raka would save me almost $200. but I would still have to pay for shipping into Niagara and then I would have to cross the border and pick it up.
I found a supplier in Tonawanda that has roughly the same price as Raka. Their website is http://shrinkster.com/rem
Have any of you guys heard about this place? Is there a difference in quality of resin and hardener that I have to be careful you?
Just looking for some comments
Thanks
Martin

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Martin,

I don't know anything about your brands of resin but here is what I have learnt.

I have tried several brands that are available here. some of them pretty cheap and some not so cheap, with varying degrees of success and quality of finish. This was directly proportioned to the price I paid for the epoxy.

The cheap stuff seemed to work OK but ammine blush was terrible. International HT9000 epoxy that is supposed to be good fared little better than the cheap and nasty stuff.

Then I discovered the joys of using West Systems Epoxy with special finish hardener. It is a little dearer than the rest, but the quality of finish is way superior to anything else I have tried. - and NO BLOODY AMMINE BLUSH!!!. It is truly beautiful stuff to use and I wouldn't use anything else.

A lot of work will go into building your boat. It is heartbreaking to see all your lovely work get that bloody stinking milky film all over it the first time you put it in the water.

If Matt Recommends Raka, that would be good enough for me. Raka is unavailable here so I make do with the best that I can get here.

I can buy the International rubbish locally at pretty competitive prices and do use it for my glueing and wood-flour but when the finish is important, Only the best I can get will do. I also need to pay for freight to get my resin of choice here. For me, it is well worth the extra.

Jul 6, 2007
Niagara Peninsula
Getting started

Thanks for the response, I will take pictures, I am building a 15 footer.
I took another look at some suppliers and it appears that canadian customers pay $30. more per gallon of epoxy than US. customers even though it is shipped from the same warehouse ( in Canada).
There is a big difference in plywood costs also.
Maybe I will take a road trip and see if I can save some money.
cheers
Martin

JAYCEESFOLLY

Jul 8, 2007
Upstate New York
Martin:

I am new to this forum, so I can't help you with your epoxy question, but I do live within 2 hours of you. I am in Rochester. You can have it sent to me and pick it up here. That will save you some money.

JC

Jul 6, 2007
Niagara Peninsula
J.C. thanks for your offer.
I have to take my daughter to the Toronto Airport tomorrow then I will stop in to the supplyer, I will take a wad of U.S. currency with me.If they let me buy from their US price list I will get my stuff there, if not I will get it at ClarkCraft in Tonawanda.
I cut my first panels tonight but now I have to do my Opa duties, 3 Grandkids going with us to the trailer up north for a week.
Going to be lots of fun.
Cheers
Martin