Glen-L Pirogue Opinions | SouthernPaddler.com

Glen-L Pirogue Opinions

AdamH

Nov 11, 2008
Shreveport, La
Back in 2000, I bought a set of pirogue plans from Glen-L for a 13' boat that I have never built. I was digging around in the shop and found the full scale plans and it got me to thinking about this boat vs. a UJ pirogue. Both boats seem like they could be "customized" easily, but the Glen-L boat has a more graceful bow, but being 100% stitch-and-glue, it looks more time consuming to build. (I like the JEM boats, but I already have spent the $60 on the full scale Glen-L plans.)

Any opinions either way?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
If you get to be like us , you will build more then one boat .... So go for it.
The best boat to build is the one that is pleasing to your eye, after all you will be the one using it.

As far as customising it , all of us do that as we build , some minor things and some with major things but after all they are our boats , built by us for and the way we want them. Just don't change the hull design or anything major , that has been worked out by the designer. It is what we add to them that makes them ours.

They sure are not an off the shelf boat in any fashion or form. :D Just take your time and understand the process about three steps ahead of where you are. Don't Rush It.

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'ay Adam,

Welcome aboard mate.

I don't know the pirogue you are talking about but being a pirogue, it will be a fine boat.

Go with your heart re which one you build. the methodologies are a little different but one is about as easy as the other. It sort of balances out in the long run.

If you have the plans for one of them, build it first. You will learn heaps and you will have a fine boat to use while you ponder what to build next. :D

AdamH

Nov 11, 2008
Shreveport, La
Good points all. Y'all are right, I have wanted to build the Glen-L boat for eight years (well, I did buy the plans in 2000) so I guess that is as good a sign as any what I should do. Lowes has the plywood in stock this afternoon at a little less than $11 a sheet. Now I have to convince the BOSS to let me build it on the back patio, as the garage is fits two cars and I know she doesn't want my ugly Jeep parked on the street for a few weeks!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
There are two types of wood boat builders .. Those who build one and say to heck with it and those who say ... What one do I want next.

Just thought I would give you a heads up on that before you start or the boss lets you start. :lol:

Chuck.