Gone..... | SouthernPaddler.com

Gone.....

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
This Geezer is headed out of town. Taking the Grand Kids camping on the beach in NC....actually rented a cabin. Still cooking over fires and roasting dogs and marshmellow's on a stick over a fire....not to mention pizza and berry mountain pies. Flying kites, maybe some fishing. We even have pirate treasures and pirate maps to see if they can find the loot buried in the sand. Pirate hats, eye patches and pirate parrot included. Anyway, if any of you back channel guys don't hear from me I'm not ignoring you. See ya Tuesday sometime.

Regards,
Scurvy Dog.
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Mr. Pirate, how did you get that hook on your arm?
Well mate....it was after the Gator bit my arm off! RRRR!
Well how did get the eye patch Mister Pirate?
Well Mate, it was the day after I got my hook and I got a bug in my eye.................
:cry:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Oldyaker is down in NC and Hurricane Ike is taking a run west in the Gulf of Mexico , over to Texas then circling up to Ohio and on out cutting a wide (Path) circle around North Carolina.

I wounder if there is a connection there for Ike to take such a wide detour around North Carolina. It could not be the fact that oldyaker is in NC ... Na ... that can't be it. :roll: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
BEARS BUDDY said:
Iz th' Sparkinator sayin' thet there's a high pressure hot air mass in NC now?

That might be part of it , I was thinking more of garlic and olive oil aromas escaping from his grill with a bunch of oysters/shrimp/kielbasa on it.
I forgot about all the hot air from the cook. I did notice a high pressure area leaving Pennsylvania and moving down to NC. on Wednesdays weather report. :lol:

Chuck.
PS. Personally I think it is the older kid using the younger kids as an excuse to get away for a while. Might say ..... Practicing for retirement. :D I sure wish the grand kids can make grand-paw behave. :roll:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
... Personally I think it is the older kid using the younger kids as an excuse to get away for a while. Might say ..... Practicing for retirement. :D I sure wish the grand kids can make grand-paw behave. :roll:
As the fella told Professor 'enry 'iggins, "By jove! 'e's got it" Oii think 'e's got it!"

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
RRRRRRRRR Ya bilge scum! :x Scurvy Dog just pulled the Jolly Roger in ta port not an hour ago. A fine time was had by all. My one year old Grandson is walking and he can say PaPa and RRRRRRR!!! No kidd'n........I put on me pirate hat so's we kin go treasure hunt'n on the outer banks! I went RRRRRR to him and he laughed and went RRRRRRRRRRR right back at me ! So now he RRRRRR's all the time.:lol: I won't mention what the other Lil pirate heard and learned from Scurvy Dog....
So the little pirate's and pirate princess went on a treasure hunt on the beach armed with a treasure map Scurvy Dog found blowing in the dunes. Scurvy Dog encountered a little problem......Scurvy Dog may have had one ale too many and blast if he didn't forget where he had buried the treasure earlier! :oops: :oops: :oops:
So.....In a way it was a real treasure hunt.......... With the help of Pirate
Princess Ally, we were able to recover the Treasure and I swear I never knew gold dubloons had chocolate in them I swear! :shock: So much fun was had, the kids wanted to go treasure hunt'n another night which we did with the full moon shin'n off a rolling sea....This time scurvy Dog waited until after the treasure recovery before he had one ale too many! :wink:

Scurvy Dog is dragg'n his arse now 'cause Lads.....young aspiring pirates can wear an old pirate right out! I have to rest up for next years pirate'n adventure!

Now no smart arse remarks from any of ye or you'll be gett'n the BLACK SPOT or walk'n the plank!!!! :twisted:

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
[quote="oldsparkey]
That might be part of it , I was thinking more of garlic and olive oil aromas escaping from his grill with a bunch of oysters/shrimp/kielbasa on it.

We have just finished up some mighty fine oysters on the open spit and crackling corn bread on the side with some sea mullets for the faint at heart, and Chocolate Chess pie for desert this past weekend. Living ain't easy here, but we manage the best that we can do these days! :wink:

We don't season ours with nuttin but a blend of hot sauce in vinegar, or we dip it in cocktail sauce made with raw horseradish to keep our palate cleansed.

DSC04521.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Oyster,

Ya got me droolin'. I like 'em raw best, but fried iz good long az they aint overcooked. Cooked on a spit looks mitey good too. How long do they stay on? That the sack they come in? Do ya cover 'em with it?

When I got a lap fulla oysters I like ta have two sauces in front of me. One bout half horseradish 'n half Miracle Whip 'n one with ketchup 'n Zatarains. Hard ta find store bought horseradish that haz any kick, but plantin' horseradish haz been on my "roundtoit" list fer a mitey long time. :?

Near bout fergot cracklin' bread.

thanks
bearridge

Clergyman, n. A man who undertakes the management of our spiritual affairs as a method of bettering his temporal ones. Ambrose Bierce

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
oldsparkey said:
People actually .... EAT ... Those things. :roll: I always thought they were used to make roads or shell mounds out of. :lol:

Chuckles.
Shorenuff, thats called Carolina Asphalt and also used by the local Pothole Patrol. :lol:

The burlap bag has many uses around these parts. :wink: :lol: But we use them to cover the oysters after wetting the bag down. We steam them for no more than about eight minutes, just so they weaken a bit and have an open seam type crack in the shells. We like to nudge the shells open and enjoy the oyster exploding between our gums :wink: or in some cases let our tooth pop them open against the gums. :p

But on the issue of the horsradish, its getting harder to get in the raw unless we either grow it or visit some of those supposed organic guys. Its really second to fresh garlic which we also grow and will never be without on almost all of our entrees. People that come to visit for dinners just have to get used to the smell although we think its like a clean house when we walk in and catch a whif of it.

Seetick, the old saying goes like, "We are Poor but Proud".

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
My Dad raized some horseradish. One year, long before Desert Storm, I dug up some root, cleaned it, put it in the blender 'n added some vinegar. Dont never lean over the blender ta look inside....it will hurt ya. I put a label on the jar.........."Sadaam's Delight". It wuz the Big Daddy Dip Dog Funky Monkey of horseradish....fer bout a week. Even in the icebox it went frum tiger ta pussy cat in a week. After that it iz like store bought horseradish....okay.

regards
bearridge

Communism is like prohibition, it's a good idea but it won't work.  Will Rogers

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
around my house growing up it was poor but well fed

when my older brother went to school, Dad was a farmer and lived off the land so to speak. So my brother would bring whatever was leftover for lunch - frog legs, crawfish bisque, turtle sauce piquante, etc. By the time I came along and went to school, Dad had a job that paid real money so he could afford to send me to school with a baloney sandwich like the rest of the kids

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
I do know what you mean about the two octanes of the new and the week old stuff. We grow a lot of goodies and have three seasons of gardening. We begin just after celebrating CHRISTmas with seeding inside. I rigged a plant ledge in my laaundry room with growing lights over them with adjustable chains to keep the plants from getting too lanky.

We normally place the early plants such as an assortment of lettuces, radishes, carrots, brocoli and several more in raised beds in a dedicated section I built all fenced in nicely keeping the big varmits out that I have rigged for protection around the side and use greenhouse plastic across the tops of them for early frost protection. These rigs also self water by condensation when the sun comes up during the day.

On occasions we do have to prop the lids open to let some of the dampness out so the plants will not get root rot.We also have a special section for an herb garden. This continues on with the summer gardening and then fall is mostly greens, beens and carrots and okra thats left over from the summer time.
Its also very nice to be able to supplement oour main courses with seafood, mostly all caught ourselves. My wife is the first one to yell at me if she has not been in the fishing skiff at least once a weekend when she is off from work. .

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Not too long ago we run anuther test here at the Southern Test Facility. I had these ole cayenne 'n jalapeno peppers that I had dried. They been in the cabinet 4-5 years, mebbe more. [Bout that time I found Zatarains in the 30 oz. jar which I keep in the ice box so it wont go mellow.] I asked the fellas on here how long a dried up pepper would be good. Like that time me 'n Alden tole the retarded guy we'd give him a quarter if he kin jump the sewage ditch, these all fellas wanted me ta give it a taste try. I sez "okay Bubba, hole my beer 'n watch this".

Those ole dried pepper still had some kick. No steam comin' outta my ears like Wiley Coyote, but enuff ta make Emeril go "bam". Seems ta me that most spices hold the heat purty good til ya grind 'em up. After ya grind 'em up ya oughta keep 'em in the ice box less ya like cayenne that taste like spicy paprika. I likely oughta start grindin' my black pepper like in them high dollar cafes where a fella in a apron comes by 'n wants ta sprinkle on yer plate......like at the circus.....a big show.

regards
bearridge
bodine culinary institute

ps Zatarains iz good on any kinda fish. Saves frum havin' ta add salt too. :wink: It even makes fish sticks fittin' ta eat. First rate on a tomato sammich too.

Her vocabulary was as bad as, like, whatever.  Unknown high school student