Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
March 5, 2007

A death averted
Passer-by uses gun to halt attack

By Nicklaus Lovelady
[email protected]
Brian Albert Broom/The Clarion-Ledger

Police place Henry Watson, 42, of Jackson into a cruiser Sunday afternoon after he allegedly attacked his wife, Gracie Watson, reportedly stabbing her then pouring gas on her and trying to set her on fire outside Family Dollar at the intersection of Hanging Moss Road and Nakoma Drive.

As customers watched in horror Sunday afternoon, a man stabbed a woman and attempted to set her on fire in the parking lot of a Jackson store, witnesses said.

The attack was stopped by a passer-by, who held the man at gunpoint until police arrived, witnesses said.

The suspect, Henry Watson, 42, was arrested and is expected to face aggravated assault charges, Jackson Police Department Cmdr. Lee Vance said. Watson's wife, Gracie Watson, 42, was transported to the University of Mississippi Medical center, where she was listed in good condition.

"It wasn't five minutes from when she had left my line when I heard a scream outside," said Theresa Stuckey, a cashier at the Family Dollar at 516 Nakoma Drive in Jackson. "I looked out, and (the attacker) was on top of her stabbing her, and stabbing her and stabbing her.

"She was screaming, 'Help, he's trying to kill me!' She was rolling on the ground, trying to get out of the way, but he kept stabbing her. He stabbed her about 20 times in the neck, back and arms."

As the attack continued, people were yelling at the man to stop and honking their horns, Stuckey said. She said she called 911.

"He was just standing over her hacking away," said Dolly Baker, who had just left the Save-A-Lot store next door when she saw the attack.

Baker said she watched the man pour gasoline on the victim then try to strike a match.

"He was literally trying to kill that lady in broad daylight," she said.

Baker said a passer-by stopped the attack.

"He told the man, 'Stop, or I'm going to shoot. And if you run, I'm going to kill you,' " Baker said.

The man held Watson at bay until police arrived at the scene.

"Right now, all we know is that (Watson) attacked his wife. For what reason, we don't know," Jackson Police Department Sgt. Eric Smith said.

Police said they are looking for the passer-by who stopped the attack and would like to talk to him but don't know who he is or where he went.

The incident occurred about 3:50 p.m.

Smith said he did not know exactly how many times Gracie Watson was stabbed but said it was more than 10 times.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
bear man hear yo ugo trying t oget my blood preasure up again. don,t think i could have watched believe i would ahve grabbed me a good broom handle or something. (catfish)

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend catfish,

Thanks fer givin' a $hit. [That iz nicer with a dollar sign.] :wink:

respectfully,
bearridge

ps Time passes with no thanks ta what this fella done 'er how the bystanders acted jest like Prissy in "Gone with the Wind". Gotta go....Jerry Lee iz on the public tv with Keith Richards.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

Nobody in the national media saw fit ta tell this tale. The local tv folks did....but they took the gun out. Caint have a tale bout a evil gun doin' good.....even if yer dumb enuff ta think a gun iz good 'er evil. :cry: :?

http://www.wlbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=6181422&nav=2CSf

When my Uncle J.W. wuz old 'n slow, he kilt a convict. This fella broke outta the Parchman Farm 'n knocked out a fella that worked fer my uncle. J.W. blew out hiz candle with a shotgun. It wuz the highpoint in hiz life....the only thing he ever done that made me proud.

regards
bearridge

War hath no fury like a noncombatant. C.E. Montague