Got to thinking | SouthernPaddler.com

Got to thinking

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
:shock:
I know thats hard to believe.
Most of my boats are a pretty good size open cockpit, sealed bulkheads for storage.
The design of the hull may be different but the storage and cockpit layout are pretty well standard.
I had a friend ask me why I didnt build a Sit On Top. That started the wheels rolling, The design I use lets me have plenty of secure storage more than a sot,flotation equal to the sot,seating heigth is about the same but I really have more bend in my knees than a sot
If I take on water I can just keep paddling with the cockpit full if I need to ,now the sot has the scuppers ,they dont need to bail . the most water I have taken on since paddling a sponge will handle easily,my boats has less wind signature. and last but not least I have a slick bottom with nothing to catch rocks and steel in the water.
Rentry from deep water all depends on the width of the hull. I am also lighter and an easier build.
Nope I will stay with my boats.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Only fault I can see with a SOT is the fact that you can't put a lot of gear in it. There is no way one would take the camping gear that I take and I don't take a ton of it.
They would be a wet and cold boat to paddle in the winter which makes me think they are more of a warm weather boat. As far as fishing , Yes darn good for that.
They would be nice because of the self draining factor and the easy in and out of them which brings me back to fishing , either fish off of them or step off and wade fish then hop back on in deeper water.

Looks to me like it is more of a fishing , short trip or day boat boat then a touring type of boat.

Chuck.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I'm inclined to agree with all of the above. After making a few day trips in my kayak as well as several fishing trips and a two day camping trip, I can't see any other style of boat being able to handle as much as a kayak with an open cockpit. A decked canoe would be just about as versatile. A SOT would probably be better at surf/flats fishing where waves would drain off and you could hop out to fish a bit easier.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
9 inches ! Man, I can't comfortably get away with that much seat height in either of my boats. That's just about gunwhale height in my pirogue.

Joey

being the owner of 2 SOT fishing yaks I can easily say they are incredible yaks for fishing. You also may be underestimating their value as a camping boat too. Allot of them have incredible amounts of available storage both above and below deck.
Downfalls??? yes you are completely exposed to the elements but you pretty much are in an open cockpit style sit in yak too. They are not as fast as the typical SIt in yak
The one thing I love about the SOT for fishing is I can turn completely side on in the boat and access gear behind me, I can also easily get to the bow by just getting on my knees. I often spend quite some time sitting side saddle while fishing.
here's a pic of one of my SOTs. (Native Magic 12) This one in particular would not make a good camping boat but is a stellar fisher
http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt23 ... MG0882.jpg

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Belly
I am no knocking a SOT at all. I have buddies I paddle with that love theres, I can access the front hatch from the cockpit, not the back one because of the 52 quart cooler mounted there
I dont usually but I can side saddle if I want. And storage room I can put ten days worth of camping gear,food ,water, and a cooler that will hold ice for at least 5 days all below decks are completely inclosed. I handle the wind much better that way and it does blow in my country
The only thing I usually have above deck is a pop up tent that is just to big to put below.
The fact I have a lot more bend in my knees really helps me to
Ron