Grandma Helen's Peanut Squares | SouthernPaddler.com

Grandma Helen's Peanut Squares

JEM

These are an awesome desert and a little messy to make. But they won't last long in the serving dish. Making them brings back great members of Grandma Helen's baking.

- yellow cake mix
- large jar of lightly salted, roasted peanuts
- one can of cream cheese flavored frosting

Crush the peanuts into very small bits. I use a blender on "chop". Don't go too much in the blender otherwise you'll start making your own peanut butter and that won't work well for this recipe. A large zip lock and a rolling pin work well. Put crushed peanuts into a shallow dish.

Make the yellow cake according to instructions. Let cool and cut into even squares.

Spread the frosting on 6 sides of the squares and then dip into the crushed peanuts. I've found thinner the frosting just a tad with a few drop of water helps this process.

They are the ideal combination of salty and sweet.

Alternative:

Make the yellow cake and let cool.

Mix the crush peanuts into the can of frosting in a large bowl. Heat the frosting/peanut mix for about 40 seconds in the nuke-o-wave. This will make is soft and spreadable. Spread on like "normal" frosting. You can try and just sprinkle the nuts on the frosting, but I've found you don't get the same amount of nuts and that "balanced" taste.