Graphite and Epoxy Rubstrip Kit........... | SouthernPaddler.com

Graphite and Epoxy Rubstrip Kit...........

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Playing around on the CLC web site today ... they have something new for wood boat builders..... NEW.....:? For them :lol:

Rubstrip Kit [Shop Tip: Bow and Stern Rubstrips]

This is a retrofittable kit, to contain wear at the bow and stern on kayaks, made up out of several layers of super-tough Dynel fabric bedded in graphite-filled epoxy.
rubstripkit1.jpg

Works on wood epoxy boats and solid fiberglass boats (not shown). You may purchase:
the complete Rubstrip Kit ( $45.00 ) including Dynel strips, 24 oz epoxy kit, graphite powder, Fineline tape, latex gloves, and instructions.
the Rubstrip Kit without the epoxy. ($24.00)
four strips of 18" dynel cloth and instructions Same as included in the Rubstrip kit.
rubstripkit2.jpg

If you will notice there kit is nothing more then GRAPHITE FILLED EPOXY and it is only $45.00 for the kit to do TWO 18 inch strips of cloth or $24.00 without the epoxy :roll:

I can do the compleat bottom of several boats for that much and still have change left over to go out for supper by mixing my own. :D

From Raka ... 8 oz of graphite powder is $4.75 ( plenty for three boats )and I have the epoxy , fiberglass and the rest when building a boat. If not then the glass tape at 6oz to 9oz is $.50 a yard (36 inches). A persom can make there own tape out of strips of left over glass. :roll:

As far as there kit goes I would list it as a .... MAJOR RIP OFF ... unless you have more money the brains

The reason I am saying this is because of my work on the Freedom. :p

I went from the top of the bow and down back 36 inches with some 6.oz tape , which is on top of the 7.50 glass as a strip to take the abuse when paddling. It gives me 13.5oz glass and epoxy/graphite protection on each end. :D

My cost . $.50 per each end of the boat , then I put on three coats of the graphite mix over it and on the bottom of the boat. The flash on the camera picked up the seam but it is smoother then that when looking at it. Remember the height at the bow is only 13 inches so I have a lot more protection under it then above it.
freedom%20089.jpg

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Chuck, I just checked my pocket for money - just to test your theory. $0.37 and some lint. And I STILL have more money than brains! So there!

Epoxy all over the bottom of the boat is a real boat saver. It strains me to admit it, Chuck, but you are right.

(AARRGGHH!!) There, that's better.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Jack will be absent from the forum while recovering from agreeing with Chuck. The Doctor says an almost complete recovery is possible. :roll:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
"CLEAR!"

Medic enters, stage left, electrical paddles in hand. Calmly, he applies them to the magnificently masculine chest of (none other than - trumpets here, please) KAYAK JACK.

SLAMM!

With a lurch (Chuck's other nickname) the muscular body responds, recovering from the unaccustomed shock of agreeing with ... ... (that other guy).

He sits up and immediately asks, "Isn't this supposed to be the SERIOUS part of our forum?"

Gently, Bear's Buddy eases him back down to the gurney. "Easy there, Jack. The voices have advised me that you need to rest. The voices know best."

Jack replies, "Ahh, Kemo Sabe."

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack.. Don't mess around with those sissy paddles they use in the hospitals, go to your cardiologist and get an implanted defibrillator. They have the power to jump start you with a jolt unmatched with those toys the have in the ER.

Be a man, Get a charge out life, have a shocking personality, electrify yourself, jump start cruise ships and locomotives as a part time job. Be listed as a sub station by the local power company.
Go for the GUSTO like some of us have done. You to could radiate power
1245.gif

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Chuckie, I think they might have hooked that dynamo to your brain and gave you electroshock therapy. Or, maybe you've you been getting therapy from Bear's Buddy again?

He uses those speakers under our pillow, ya know, where the space voices come in while you're asleep. Does him wonders. Now, he's more normal than usual.