Habanero Pepper Sauce | SouthernPaddler.com

Habanero Pepper Sauce

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I have made habanero pepper sauce and pickled bananna peppers, but not the roasted peppers and garlic....as yet any way. :wink:

Habanero Pepper Sauce
This spicy condiment measures a 9 out of 10 on the Scoville scale of chili pepper hotness. Watch out! If you like this a little milder, substitute jalapenos or red hot cherry peppers.

1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped carrots
12 habanero peppers, stems removed, finely chopped
1/2 cup distilled vinegar
1/4 cup lime juice
Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft; add carrots with a small amount of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until carrots are soft. Place mixture and raw chiles into a blender and puree until smooth. In a pot combine puree with vinegar and lime juice, then simmer for 5 minutes and seal in sterilized bottles. Makes about 1 cup.

PICKLED BANANA PEPPERS
These taste great on a sandwich or burger.

8 cups distilled white vinegar
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
3 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
6 bay leaves
1 1/2 pounds banana peppers
1 large onion, halved and cut into 1-inch slices
24 garlic cloves, peeledWith a sharp knife, make a slit in pepper from stem to tip, but do not cut all the way through.
In a nonreactive pot, combine the vinegar, peppercorns, salt, sugar, cayenne, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Add peppers, onion and garlic. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until vegetables wilt slightly. Remove from heat.

Using tongs, pack the peppers snugly into 6 hot sterilized quart-sized preserving jars. Evenly divide onion, bay leaves, and garlic among jars, tucking them in between peppers. Fill each jar with the hot vinegar mixture to 1/2 inch of top. With clean damp towel, wipe rim and fit with a hot lid. Tightly screw on metal ring. Process in a hot-water bath for 15 minutes.

Makes 6 quarts.

ROASTED PEPPERS WITH GARLIC AND THYME

We enjoyed these with roasted small potatoes. My husband said they would be good with sausages. They're also nice with good Italian tuna or served cold with goat cheese, especially sprinkled with balsamic vinegar. Red bell peppers, cut in strips, may be substituted with excellent results, or make them part of the mix.

1 pound sweet frying-type peppers (I used Cubanelle, Marconi, and sweet banana peppers)
1 medium sweet red or white onion, halved and thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
11/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh thyme
4 or 5 sage leaves (optional)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
Few grinds fresh black pepper
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Halve peppers lengthwise and remove seeds and stems. Cut into 2-inch pieces; leave smaller peppers whole. Put in 12-by-8-inch glass baking dish. Add onion, garlic, oil, thyme, sage, if using, salt, crushed red and black peppers. Toss to mix well.

Roast, stirring several times, until peppers are tender, about 25 minutes.

Makes 2 1/2 cups, enough for 4 side-dish servings.

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
Concerning the habanero sauce; Be sure to keep your head away from the blender, and you might consider doing the entire operation outside!
I speak from experience!
I sort of pickle habaneros, fataliis, and garlic in 10% agricultural vinegar and isopropyl alcohol for a few weeks, then blend the whole shebang to a puree, and stain the mess though a coffee filter, to dilute 100 parts water to one part pepper sauce, to us as a spray, to deter bugs in my gardens.
Once while I was spraying, a shift in the wind blew the mist back on me, just as I was taking a breath.
Great Gobs Of Gallopin' Goose Grease! It was like sucking on a jet engine!
In 15 minutes, I had the cleanest respiritory system on planet Earth, My nose was clear of any alien material(Other that the bleached out nasal hairs), My eyes were thoroughly washed, from within, I had a pounding headache (probably due to the near stroke), And I had soiled my under garments!
AND, the spray didn't bother the bugs all that much. It did, however, keep mammals out of the garden. (Including the neighbor's cat, which howled for a half hour after trying to take a dump in my bean patch).
I still make, and use, the the pepper/garlic/vinegar/alcohol solution, but I garon-dam-tee you, I pay very close attention to the wind!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
jimsong...

I know you are serious but I am sitting here laughing my arse off an tears rolling down my cheeks , as soon as I compose myself I will have to reread what you posted .... If I can. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.
PS. You should of seen Bears face when oldyaker subsisted a bottle of the Habanero for Bears Louisiana Hot Sauce on one camping trip. Now we know who makes the stuff. :p

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Mister High Sheriff,

[not so kind words deleted] :wink:

Miz Bear run a small shop 'n cut hair til I closed it down so she kin tend ta this place. One day this ole colored lady dropped by ta give her a few tomatoes frum her garden. They wuz mitey purty. Miz Bear asked if she sprayed poison on 'em. "No maam" she sez....."in the late evenin' I sprinkle some self risin' flour 'n bakin' powder mix on the garden....bugs eat it up, then when they take a sip of dew, they bust wide open."

regards
bearridge

Education is no substitute for intelligence. Frank Herbert

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
oldyaker said:
Place mixture and raw chiles into a blender and puree until smooth.

Buy a new blender too, nothing out of that blender will ever taste "right" after you have used it to puree a batch of habs. The oils from the peppers tend to get down into the soul of blenders, spice grinders & cutting boards. Better to have some things for "pepper use only".

DM
mike