Hairies Laker | SouthernPaddler.com

Hairies Laker

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

Been messing round with this little number for the last couple of months.
Finally finished her off today. 8)

2007-10--14002640x480.jpg

2007-10--14003640x480.jpg

2007-10--14008640x480.jpg

2007-10--14013640x480.jpg

Yet, another stroke of genius from Matt

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/StudyPlans ... yPlans.htm

Length - 13'
Beam - 26 1/2 "

Weight - 15.3ks - Loaded :D

2007-10--14019640x480.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Robin was feeling even better today and she was as keen as I was to try this little boat out. She seems to be making a remarkable recovery. :D :D

Robin took first paddle, :p

2007-10--14020640x480.jpg

2007-10--14030640x480.jpg

2007-10--14036640x480.jpg

Then it was my turn, :D :D :D

MAIDENVOYAGEOFTHELAKER093640x480.jpg

MAIDENVOYAGEOFTHELAKER096640x480.jpg

I will do a review tonight or in the morning, but this boat has well and truly exceeded my expectations. It is so good, that Robin has asked me to build her one. It was only ever intended to be a loaner boat for when somebody wanted to come paddling with us. It is way too good for just that. While the build on this boat is relatively simple and straight forward, I think the lines are functional and elegant and so very practical. I admit to falling in love with this boat while it was still in the concept stage and since paddling her, my feelings for her have been confirmed. I BLOODY LOVE THIS BOAT!! so much so, that I have decided to sell my very good, little TK1.

TOOGOOM005.jpg

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Mick,
Is this boat like the Freedom where you simply fall out if it turns over or is your legs under the deck? If a boat turns over I don't want to be trying to get out of it like a woman getting out of a girdle. 6' 5" and not real limber. Just falling out appeals to me.
Glad to see that Robin is already out and about.
Bob

JEM

I'll jump in, if I may:

Cockpit is 20" wide x 40" long. You should be able to sit in and bring both your knees toward your chest at the same time if needed. At 6'5, I don't know if you could comfortably paddle with your knees up. But it should not trap you in if you tip it.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

What a way ta start my day! Az much az I like yer new boat, seein' Robin paddlin' it iz more sweller. She dont really look tuff az nails. :wink:

regards
bearridge

There is no greater mistake than the hasty conclusion that opinions are worthless because they are badly argued.  Thomas H. Huxley

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
So very glad to see her out paddling about! :D

I've followed your build on the JEM Forum. You threads read like building tutorials. This one looks to be up to your usual high standard of work. You're building an impressive stable of boats!

I downloaded the "free plan" version of the Laker for study. But like you, I want to have a "loaner" boat on-hand. I'd thought maybe the Freedom 11 would be good for that, but seeing how your Laker turned out, I may have to go with the Laker, instead. Unless the Freedom 11 would be better for complete novice paddlers, that is.

You know I'm waiting for another design from Matt to be released, but that building disease is hitting me pretty hard right now and the temptation to build the Laker (or Freedom,) is getting pretty strong! :wink:

Can't wait to read your "full report" on how Laker handles out on the water. Hope you include some comments from Robin in that one.

Interesting to note that so far, no one has given you any grief over deciding to paint the hull on this one. Personally, I LIKE it. :D

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day and thanks guys,
This is a specal boat and it was a very special day for us :D

G'day Matt,

Thanks mate. :D

I bet you get a few offers to buy.

Like the South Wind, I don't think this one will EVER be for sale.

G'day Bob,

Is this boat like the Freedom where you simply fall out if it turns over or is your legs under the deck? If a boat turns over I don't want to be trying to get out of it like a woman getting out of a girdle. 6' 5" and not real limber. Just falling out appeals to me.
Glad to see that Robin is already out and about.
Bob

My cockpit is as per Matts plans, but it would not be a very big deal to modify it to suit your needs. As it is, You would need to be a very big man to get trapped in it.

I am 6 feet tall and 200 pounds and just can't imagine how I would or even could get trapped in it.

G'day my friends Bear and Baldy,

Thanks mates, it did my heart real good to see her on the water and enjoying herself again. :D

G'day Mike,

I've followed your build on the JEM Forum. You threads read like building tutorials.

Thanks mate.

I just hope the information I provide can be of some use to others. particularly those just starting out on their first build.

The guys here and on Matts site have been a HUGE help to me since I started out and I am only trying to share what information I have been able to learn.

Mate the free plans for the Laker are allmost the same boat and I would encourage you to build it. This boat is just WAY too good to be free IMHO.

I like both the Freedom models - a lot but haven't built either so I have no idea how they would compare. I think both would be very good boats.

Here is a very interesting thought - A Freedom or Laker style deck on a Okwater hull. Man, that one really has my blood pumping. :D :p :wink:

Can't wait to read your "full report" on how Laker handles out on the water. Hope you include some comments from Robin in that one.

Robins requirements for a kayak are pretty simple.

1. It needs to be easy to get in and out of.
2. It needs to be very comfortable to sit in
3. It MUST track straight with no weathercocking
4. It needs to be easy and fun to paddle with a good turn of speed.
5. It needs to be easily manouverable
6 It needs very good stability.
7 It needs a roomy cockpit so that she can have her camera and all the other stuff with her and be easy to access.

Laker is all of this and much, much more.

When I eventually got MY boat back, I asked her what she would change to suit her. her reply, 'Nothing. it is perfect the way it is."

After a little thought, she said, "A rudder would be nice but the boat really doesn't need it. I am just a lazy paddler"

2007-10--14037640x480.jpg

Manjimike

Jun 18, 2007
Manjimup, West Australia
nobucks said:
--

Very nice! Are there any laws in Oz about how many lines you can have in the water at one time?

Depends on which state you live in - West Australia allows only one line for fresh water fishing - that saves me from a lot of grief with double hookups :lol:

Cheers Mike

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Joel,

Generally, two lines in the water at any one time are fine. I normally troll two light lines from the front holders and use the back ones to hold a couple of heavier outfits just in case there are more solid fish about.

If I need to go heavier, the light lines go in the back holders and the others go in front.

The rear holders also serve a secondary purpose. I have often had problems in a serious hook up of the other line becoming entangled round the fittings at the rear of the boat. With this set up the rear rods should help to keep the line away from the back of my boat a bit.

I would never dream of using all four rods at the same time mate. I can get in enough strife with just two. :D

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Mick
What was the finished weight of the finishd Laker and what were the deminsions on the wood and weight of the glass. I am fixing to start the Laker.
Thanks mate
Ron

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Ron,

Finished weight is 15.3kgs or about 33 1/2 pounds - loaded with 5 rod holders deck bungee and back band.

Wood was 3mm or 1/8th ply and the glass matt was 85 gram per squars metre. I think that equates to about 2.5 oz. - inside and out. There are four coats of West Systems 105 epoxy resin and 207 hardener. Beautiful stuff to use. :p

Mate, the Laker is an outstanding little boat. Really low volume and sits nice and low in the water with very little wind signature. I just can't wait to get out in mine again. You will never regret building this one mate. It is going to be a classic. The missus and kids will love it and you will too.

Robin and I like this boat so much, I am building one for Robin. Next year, I will be building one with mini decks and set up like a little pirogue, just for the heck of it. Will be talking to Matt about that real soon too. I would be doing it now, only there are a couple of canoes I need to build first.

Man, I got it bad, I just realized what I just said. :lol: I have just finished this build, and I listed four boats that I will be starting in the very near future and that is not all of it. :oops: I just LOVE watching them take shape.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Mick
I know what u mean I havn't even water tested the Bumble Bee and I am already laying out the laker in my head.
You ask me why I liked the rectangle cockpit , You know how comfortable you are in the perow well you are the same in the rectangle cockpit.
Ron