Hairies Marinated Fish | SouthernPaddler.com

Hairies Marinated Fish

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Guys,

This is the way I cook my fish when camping. Quick, simple & good. :D

Fillet & skin the fish or your choice. remove all the bones & bloodline.

Cut into pieces and then marinate in a mixture of half Soy Sauce and half Worstestershire Sauce for about half an hour.

Lightly coat the pieces in plain flour and then shallow fry or cook on the barbeque till golden brown.

Catfish and other second grade table fish are especially good done like this.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
hairymick said:
Catfish and other second grade table fish are especially good done like this.

CATFISH is a second grade table fish.... Mick , if you were ever to say that here in the deep south of the states you would find yourself up a flag pole, flapping in the breeze. That is like saying your sister is ugly , Ya Mom does not wear combat boots , 4 wheel drive trucks stink , The guy with the biggest tires on his truck does NOT have the right of way , deer hunters are not right in the head , Pork BBQ'S are for Yankees , Grits are for patching cracks , Sweet tea ... YUCK ...give me the unsweet ....:lol:

Or you might be strapped to the hood of a 4 wheel truck and used as a mud shield in the mud races. Something nasty would surly happen to you if nothing more then tied off behind a boat and used as gator bait , What we call water skiers.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Chuck, the good fish you marinate in tasty liquids. Others you simply urinate on.

I marinate tofu because it has no taste and needs something to give it some zip, otherwise it is like my wife's cooking :evil:
Now you know why I do 99.99% of the cooking around here.

No Sir ... None of that Chocolate Mouse, Butterscotch Armadillo, Vanilla Possum, Raspberry Coon, Lick-o-rish loon, Cherry Moose or any of the rest for me.

Now I have been known to poach (as in cooking) some fish fillets in orange juice or grapefruit juice or lemon juice...... Shrimp and also Lobster in place of the fish.

The rest of the foods on this planet ...... I enjoy for there flavor, just the way they were meant to be. The last thing I would want to eat is a cafe' latte flavored steak or an almond, garlic, pepper, advocate, grape, seisme seed, soy, chocolate, scotch, rum, pineapple, peach flavored chicken.

Give me the real stuff the way it was meant to be, none of that marinade thingey stuff with my good food. The different food groups have different flavors for a reason ..... to be enjoyed for that flavor , with some Cajun seasoning.
It is the natural order of life or we would of never had Cayenne Pepper. :oops:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Chuckie - you're as crazy as a $hit house mouse! And that's the GOOD part of you.

I concur with Hairy Mick on marinating. And 50:50 say & worcestershire is a good start. Only thing I'd add is garlic. Of course, I add garlic to Cheerios.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Chuckie - you're as crazy as a $hit house mouse! And that's the GOOD part of you.

We mice's has more fun then anyone. "O" when you can check out the book "Under the Grandstand Seats " by Semore Butts. There is a sequel to it by his cousin ..... "100 yards to the Outhouse" by Bettie Don'tmake it. :lol:

Chuckles

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I miss Johnny. I kin recall a time when I could stay awake that late.
069.gif

regards
bearridge

You can pick out actors by the glazed look that comes into their eyes when the conversation wanders away from themselves. Michael Wilding

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Interesting thread. Usually we start out talking about anything - and end up talking about food. This time, we started out talking about food (Mick's fish) and ended up talking about tofu and gritz (road aggregate). Complete reversal.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi guys,

I was being generous to catfish when I referred to them as second rate. :lol:

They are viewed with scorn and derision here and are mostly only used as crab trap bait. Perhaps your catties taste better than ours? :shock:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Mick, Makes no difference how fish tastes. No one tastes the fish anyway. Look at ANY recipe for fixing fish. Most of the space and most of the ingredients are about breading & oil. Those two things are what you taste.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
hairymick said:
Hi guys,

I was being generous to catfish when I referred to them as second rate. :lol:

They are viewed with scorn and derision here and are mostly only used as crab trap bait. Perhaps your catties taste better than ours? :shock:

Our Catfish over here and right out of the river (None of those pond raised things they call catfish) would make your bottom lip beat your nose bloody trying to get to them.

Yep, they are that good. It is like enjoying a slice of heaven and especially with some Grits, Hush Puppies or Corn Fritters and a tall, large, glass of Southern Tea.

It just does not get any better then that. Well It might get better ..... Camping on a river bank and cooking the same up for supper in some cast iron skillets , No way it could ever be better then this. No Sir ... No Way...........

Well, one thing might make it better ... Run a trot line for the cats and if you get a turtle then shuck him out and cook some turtle nuggets for snacks to have with the drinks before the main meal. It keeps the campers happy. :D

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

We gotta a heap a different catfish round here. Many row crop farmers jest give up 'n made these big ponds fer grain fed catfish. They pull 'em out with big nets when they are young 'n sell fillets. They have almost no taste....much better than the Blue Cat 'er Channel Cat.

I wouldnt eat no wild catfish round here. The best eatin' wild catfish we got iz the Yellow Cat. It iz different frum the rest cuz it dont eat dead stuff off the bottom. It only eats live food. It actually haz some taste....mitey good, but I tend ta agree with Jack that if ya fry 'em up, ya dont really like ta taste fish.

regards
bearridge
bodine hoop net association

ps Those are Yellow Cats in the pichur of me'n Lance 'n Cecil 'n Jeff 'n Brian. The one I wuz holdin' looks big but it didnt weigh more'n 40-50 pounds. We caught 'em all in one net.

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/116441 ... 3242dgFgWe

If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one? Abraham Lincoln