Hairie's New Camper | SouthernPaddler.com

Hairie's New Camper

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

As some here may have gathered, i have a new partner in crime :D , Miss Evie. She is a true country girl and loves all things outdoors and in the bush in general 8) 8) .
To this end, we have decided that we NEED a camper trailer, something small, light and quick to erect but comfortable enough for our needs, in other words, something basic and not too flash.

We found what we think is just what we need the other day. Here are the previous owner and me negotiating a fair price in true Aussie manner. :D

Camper017.jpg

with a beer in hand. 8)

We quickly towed the thing home and set it up to work out what else we need.

in its simplest form

Camper019.jpg

Camper022.jpg

All it is a 6' X 4' box trailer with a framed, bed base hinged on top and a trailer tent attached to that

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Sides and floor attach to the annex via velcro and the whole thing is bug screened 8)

Camper028.jpg

Camper031.jpg

Camper032.jpg

Add a tarp for shade or shelter from the rain and we are pretty much set :D

Camper026.jpg

Camper034.jpg

Expect many camping trip reports from here in the coming months. 8) 8)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick...

Those little tent campers are great gadgets and set up rather quick. All you need are the boats on the roof of the car and you have a complete package.

Not being in Australia but here in the states we have about the same type of thing but it opens differently. This little camper has been out of the country to Canada and in a few of the states. Georgia , Tennessee , Kentucky, Indiana , Ohio , Michigan ,Texas Alabama , Mississippi , Louisianan and the Carolina's with me from Florida.

eglades%20045.jpg

I hope you guy's have as much fun with yours , or even more fun. :D

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick....

I forgot to post this and it might be something you will run into.
What I enjoy the most is you are still camping and not in a self ( hard shelled ) contained motor home even if Florida thinks they are Recreational Vehicles. You can enjoy being out there away from home in comfort while actually camping under a soft top.

Back when I got it and went to register it the lady at the tax office asked me about it and I told her it was a camper , then she wanted to know what type , I said .... A tent on wheels.... Boy did I get a blank look from her which meant I had to do a lot of explaining. Found out that was normal reaction , especially pulling into a camp ground for a spot to set up when on the road. :lol:

They ask what you have and the normal response is ...A Camper. Then they want to put me with all the large motor homes till I explain what it is and eventually I end up in the tent area or next to it. So now when I say a camper then I followed up with a description of it and NO ...... I do not need power or water hook ups.... just a spot to set up camp for the night.

It does keep life interesting. :D

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Chuck,

Camper trailers are as popular as heck here. There are thousands of them about the place and usually they are bigger and flasher than ours, more like this one here :-

http://www.campertrailer.com.au/Light_O ... eluxe.html

A superb set up but can be a PITA to erect and pull down.

Your camper is, I think, similar to this one,

http://cubcampers.com.au/camper-trailer ... weekender/

A stroke of genius in their design and waaaaaay quicker and easier than ors to set up. Unfortunately, there are very few of them available second hand here and new ones are as expensive as heck. Those who have Cub Campers tend to keep them. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The cub is a close cousin to the one I have ...By Design ...... I can understand why they want to keep them. :D The Cub has a lot more with it , mine is just the camper with a tent top , everything else I have to furnish.
Compared to the Cub you could say mine is a bare bones variety...... A place out of the weather and a place to sleep..... The stove , potty , table , folding chair , mattress and all the rest I had to furnish. Even the tarp for outside enjoyment , did not get the awing that they have.

leesurelite excell model.... Been wanting a light weight camper for a really long time and after checking all of them out it was the one I decided on...Took me almost 20 years to decide. ... 255 pounds empty and will take 600 pounds loaded between the stuff you put inside and on the top of the travel rack. Back of the Jeep going down the road you would never know it is there.
A retirement present to myself...... :wink:

Same as yours on the set up , drop the jacks on the front and rear , then open it up and extend the cross bars to make the top sturdy and stretch everything out. I do like yours better because of the extra ground clearance and the go anywhere ability...Boy could I take it into some back woods off trail areas with the Gold Goat. :D
But they are not available over here , anyway back then.

http://www.leesurelite.com/

I like to keep things simple , the more gadgets the more problems ........... No matter what you have , all of them offer a lot of fun and relaxation. :D

dawallace45

Good one Mick ,
We are looking to get one our selves , on Monday the 26 th and 27 th we have to go down to Hervey Bay for a conference for Shirley and then on the 28 th we go on down to Brisbane because Shirley has to attend another conference , while down there we are going to take a look at the Making tracks camper trailers http://www.makingtrackscampertrailers.c ... amper.html and if they are suitable we will get one ,

We had one of the Aussie Swag campers about 20 years ago but didn't like it

Mick , if your going to be home some time on the 26 th to 27 th I could probably drop the bow into you , let me know

PS , you still haven't told us the story of the Beach house

David

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
[quote="hairymick

Nice set-up Mick. I don't plan on actually buying a camper, but I might just go out and do a little Aussie negotiating. :mrgreen:

Camper017.jpg