Queensland, Australia
Just finished her today 8)

bbd79f27.jpg

92c0a5cd.jpg

af66595d.jpg

8ab5efca.jpg

179aba4a.jpg

4f8e8ef8.jpg

Taken her for a lil walk in the morning.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Talented Friend Mick,

Even Aussies dont drink three beers at once....do they? :lol: Now...time fer some vacationizin'.....with pichurs. Did the fire put a hurt on the Mary River?

regards
bearridge

I believe that all government is evil, and that trying to improve it is largely a waste of time.  H.L. Mencken

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks guys, just a quick reply. Heading down to Burrum Heads this morning. The day has dawned fine and clear with no wind and a heavy fog. Fog here in the morning preceeds light winds and a beautiful day on the water 8)

Bear, all the rivers round here are in mild flood. No fire damage here mate, wet season. It has rained every day since before Christmas. My yard is waterlogged and impossible to mow today otherwise mz Robin would have had me doing that.

I think this design will make a very good cross-over boat. More capable than a purely recreational kayak with styling approaching that of a smallish sea kayak and similar qualities.

I liked the original Okwata Matt designed and bought the plans some time ago. I have been studying and comparing the drawings of both boats and am confident that this one will prove superior in every way.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Matt recieves requests for longer and shorter versions of this boat. I really like the false rocker in the bottom that has been achieved by very clever design work. The keel line has minimal rocker to facilitate straight tracking and the extent of the tortured ply bottom panel in the ends achieve very fine entry but at the same time will allow the bow to pierce the water like a spear and the stern will realease with minimal drag.

My biggest problem will be keeping mz Robin out of this boat. She has been known to steal MY boats before. :D

shawnkfl

Feb 15, 2009
Largo, Florida
you don't want to be seen in that thing! tell you what, send her over to me and i'll tell everyone i built it. i can take the abuse folks will sure spill :mrgreen:

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
This one's a winner too, Mick. Great lines and great craftsmanship. I have a feeling this one will give the Laker and maybe even the Southwind :shock: a run for it's money.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks guys,

I am working up a review at the moment and will post it directly.

Mick,

Is that the natural color, or did you stain it? What kind of wood is it?

G'day Mike, It was sole to me as Gaboon, BS1088 marine ply. I have been told it is identical to what you call Okoume (SP) and comes from Africa.

Not stained mate, that is the natural colour after epoxy. I really like it but the mob I was getting it from have sold out to a Malaysian concern and they no longer stock this ply. I got their last sheets and some were damaged and scratched in places but it is only cosmetic.

The BS1088 ply we can get now is something they are calling Pacific maple. It is heavier than the gaboon and has a tighter more cnsistent grain appearence. I don't like it much and much prefer the more open wavey woodgrain look of Gaboon.

eff1da28.jpg

Where was I? :lol: oh yeah,

I freaking love this boat,

I have owned a few very good kayaks in my time and this one seems to combine the very best of all of them into one boat.

I fish from all of my kayaks end canoes and rigged Okwata similarly. When I first started fishing from a kayak, I used one of these,

http://www.natureline.com.au/osprey.htm

a smallish sea kayak - very fast and a hoot to paddle but I got wet more times than not just getting into it. Steep to bank - forget about it LOL

Then I moved to one of these, (modified with a bigger cockpit

http://www.natureline.com.au/wanderer.htm.

Very fast, more stable but with a maximum recommended weight on board of 120 kilograms, i was at the upper end of the limit.

IMG_0014Small.jpg

Definately a flat water boat. I still have this one and just can't bring myself to part with it.

Later, I got one of these,

http://www.natureline.com.au/Mermaid1.htm

These are an outstanding expedition sea kayak, immensely stable, reasonably fast and an iconic Australian boat. Many here prefer them to big name boats like the Mirage in that they have better load capacity and are a more sea worthy boat. Trouble with them is that for normal day to day paddling, they are as big as many tandems, and do not maneuvre very well in tight spots.

BigWoody25-01-05006Small.jpg

Mermaid in flight.

BigWoody25-01-05014Small.jpg

All of the above boats are designed and made by a local bloke, Kerry Richards who is sort of like an Aussie Matt Langenfield except he only sells built boats.

I posted the above to give an idea of what I have to compare Okwata to.

Speed, Okwata is just about as fast as either my Osprey or wanderer.
That is to say, very fast indeed.

Stability, Allways a complex thing LOL but Okwata is way more stable than Osprey or Wanderer, in fact, she felt more like a mermaid, which is very good. :D

Maneuverability, Not quite as good as my Laker but way better than any of my natureline boats. also very good.

Tracking, superb. This boat needs no rudder.

Comfort, I built into this one a laker style seat and padded it with 1" high density foam. The boat fits me like a glove. My knees tuck in nicely under the side decks and there is plenty of room for my US size 13 feet. I am 6' and 200 pounds. I am confident I could stay comfortably seated in this boat and paddling for many hours at a stretch.

Storage, She is a 15 foot, recreational, touring kayak. that just happens to be very much like a smallish sea kayak. :D For such a boat, the room in the front hatch is huge. rear hatch is also very good

As I get time, I will work up a proper review but the short version is thas is yet another stroke of brilliance from Matt. I bloody love this boat so much, that I paddled myself to exhaustion today and still wanted to keep going in her. I would have no hesitation in recommending Okwata to anybody looking for an exceptionally good, all round kayak. One they can take in skinny water easily but also one just as capable for several days paddling and camping or even for the occasional sprint across the bay or lake.

She will leave many store bought kayaks in her wake while at the same time, be stable, predictable and safe enough to let less experienced paddlers have a go.

As much as I love my Southwind, Sasquatch and Laker, i have a new favourite boat - Okwata. :D

b051f0ab.jpg

f22fb92f.jpg

d74f7f01.jpg

b366c10a.jpg

e6cbc1cd.jpg

:D :D :p

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick ....

Your last picture has in it what we call Mullet. They are a vegetarian fish and have a gizzard in it like a chicken or turkey. The Mullet is just as good eating as either of those birds and exceptional fine eating if smoked , most are deep fat fried.
I'm wondering ... what did you catch them with on a hook and line , if they are the same fish.

mullstri.jpg

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
hairymick said:
The BS1088 ply we can get now is something they are calling Pacific maple.
Yep.....that iz what the High Sheriff uses too. BS wood. He haz the whole line of BS products. In fact, he iz the spokesman fer BS products. :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick...

Besides having such a great boat to use is such a nice area , there there is the other pleasure , pulling in for a shore break and using one of the stoves for a pot of hot beverage.

Especially when you forget to take a cup with you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

( Borrowed the pictures from Matt s Web Site and review of the boat)
43e60c2d.jpg

40399824.jpg

Chuck.
PS. Folks Geezers forget things all the time but not the ones that matter , like the milk/cream to put in his coffee. :p

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Chuck,

They are indeed mullet mate and allmost impossible to catch on a hook and line as you say. :D

With all the fresh in the friver at the moment, there a millions of them that have moved down to the river mouth. While I was paddling around,I I saw my mate Donger, a commercial fisherman, heading back with a heavily laden boat and knew that he had been getting stuck into them that morning with his gill nets. :D

I love fresh mullet, either hot smoked (we call it kippered) or simply coated in flour and shallow fried so I called in at his house and bought these ones off him. They are also superb, just thrown onto the barbeque plate.

Nothing of mullet gets wasted at my place, The gut is superb bait for our bream and grunter, the backbones get cooked on the barbeque plate and the heads get used in my crab pots. - bargain :D

A lot of Australians view them as a trash fish, in part because they are so cheap to buy and so plentiful. Most of our mullet are exported to the Asian market. Those of us who know better, are in seventh heaven, in that we get some of the best fish available very cheap , anytime we want it. 8)

Re the trangia, I just love it to bits mate. I used to allways just take a thermos of coffee with me and after a few hours the coffee gets that "stale brewed taste. With the trangia, I can make fresh coffee in very quick time and have it the way I like it, fresh, hot and strong and instant. :p and lots of it.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick...

The salt water Mullet , if you can get some ( the guys around here use cast nets or gill nets ) are some sort of good chow when cleaned out / scaled and especially done on a grill over an open smokey fire. That way they are the best of both worlds , almost fried or smoked. Just down right delicious.

If not that way then in a frying pan but the ones done on a smokey grill are something that will make your bottom lip beat your nose bloody till it gets some of those Mullet. Yep , they are that dam good and with a cold beverage , all the better.

Now if you every try some that way and then the next time you are cooking/smoking them thinking about how good they will be and salivating on your pants it is not my fault. :wink: Just make sure to wash your slacks or legs if you have shorts on after the meal.

They are even better with Hush Puppies or Corn Fritters on the side but out camping some Grits are just as good if not better. If they are not available the just the Mullet will do a great job for a meal.

Trash fish .... Please forgive me on that thought , they have made a lot of good meals for all of the folks living over here since time started and were one of the main items in the diets of the Indians , Crackers and so of us modern folks.

Fresh water ones :evil: , I would rather eat toilet paper ( New not used) or cotton , they are disgusting.

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Chuck,

You are preaching to the choir mate. LOL, I love mullet. I had a feed of fish in my cooler but just had to wrap my laughing gear around these beauties.

Only those who have not eaten fresh mullet taken from salt water would call them trash fish. This is the case here.

There is an element of snobbery in the Australian psych that implies that these magnificent table fish are in some way inferior because they are so cheap to buy.

Yeah, I can and do get them in the cast net from time to time and could have easily yesterday but I was having too much fun paddling my boat to be bothered. I knew my mate had a boat load of them (probably about 700 kilograms) and for a couple of bucks and a beer, I could get all I wanted. 8) Actually, he wanted to give them to me.

Like your mullet, ours can live in both fresh and salt water and the ones taken from the fresh have a weedy taste that leave little to desire.

The mullet in the piccie are what we call bull head mullet and if given a chancve, will grow to about 10 pounds weight. These guys were only about 2 pounds each in I like them better at that size.

We are blessed here with a smaller species we call a flicker mullet or fan tail. Not commercially viable to fish for and they only grow to about 10 inches or so but there a millions of them here all year. superb bait for the larger predators and even better on the grille than their bigger cousins.

Absolute suckers for a cast net 8)