Hairie's Sasquatch (16.5) | SouthernPaddler.com

Hairie's Sasquatch (16.5)

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Guys.

Been makin a prototype Sasquatch 16.5 from the fine stable of Jem Watercraft. Apart from the seats and some coats of varnish, she is pretty much done for now.

Just thought I would like to share some piccies here. I am real pleased with the way she has turned out.

003640x480-10.jpg

006640x480-7.jpg

011640x480-3.jpg

013640x480.jpg

014640x480.jpg

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Yes another cooler canoeist! Boat looks great am waitng for the first wetting as always.
Paul

PS cool paddle too

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

Yer beginnin' ta be a bit of a show off. :wink: Dang good on ya mate....some serius fair dinkum. :mrgreen:

respectfully
bearridge

The news and truth are not the same thing. Walter Lippmann

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Mick,

You will come to love this boat of the North American eastern woodlands. I was the workhorse of the American Indians in the Canadian Shield country where water ways connected to both other water ways, and land bound destinations.

It will not take the heavy water that a South or North Wind will, but it is very useful for two people traveling about the outback waterways for a week or two.

I see that you put in extra work and have overcome the handicap of close weave fiber glass. Looks much nicer than the interior of my canoe. Good work.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks guys,

I really like the lines this one has taken.

Will be doing some paddling and camping with her this week end. There is a bass kayak fishing thing being organised by the Queensland contingent of our Aust Kayak Fishing Forum her at lake Lenthall and it will be a good opportunity to put her through her paces and hopefully "blood" her.

Re the skinny, she is 16.5 feet long (closer to 16'4") X 33" beam. I haven't weighed her yet, but just lifting her, she is very close to South Wind weight at 44 pounds. I am real happy with that.

I built this one primarily as a quiet river, tripping, solo canoe but she has the capacity to carry two easily for shorter trips.

re the paddle, Thanks fellers, I knocked it up a few months ago while in between boats. Might be a bit wide in the blade for this boat.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
h

oldsparkey said:
Mick

She is going to be a head turner on or off the water. I bet she will paddle just as good as she leeks , like a dream. :D

Chuck.

Chuck,

I cannot believe that you would desparage the fine work our friend from down under does by saying that his boat would "leek". additionally the word if you are not talking about a type of food is spelled LEAK. :wink:

I meown self do not believe for a minute that the fine boat Mick has put together will "leek" or even leak. :p

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Sorry about that .. Had onions on my mind , meant to say LOOKS..... At lease I did not mistype it as leaks which could be misunderstood as not being an onion depending on your geographical location. :oops:

" Leeks
With a more delicate and sweeter flavor than onions, leeks add a subtle touch to recipes without overpowering the other flavors that are present. Although leeks are available throughout the year they are in season from the fall through the early part of spring when they are at their best.

Leeks are related to onions, shallots and scallions to which they bear a resemblance. They look like large scallions having a very small bulb and a long white cylindrical stalk of superimposed layers that flows into green, tightly wrapped, flat leaves. "

Chuck.
PS. If I don't make at least three mistakes a day I'm not doing anything.