Hairies Second Paddle | SouthernPaddler.com

Hairies Second Paddle

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi guys,

Been playing with paddles again.

I am trying to work out an easy way to make nice looking paddles withour having to use a heap of expensive machinery. (getting closer)

I made this one using a variety of hardwood and softwood, laminated together and onto a shaft made from laminated 8mm strips of meranti.

I am pretty pleased with the result. :D

length OA - 53&1/2 inches

Blade 21 inches

blade Width 6&1/2 inches

Weight 1 pound 12 ounces

IMG_0687Small.jpg

IMG_0689Small.jpg

To give a better idea, here are my three wooden paddles.

left, Store bought Upper Canadian Canoe Paddle Company job,
Nice paddle but not enough power in the blade. only varnished - no epoxy. Weight 1 pound 7 ounces

Middle my first attempt. All hoop pine

Right, This one.

IMG_0699Small.jpg

Timber sequence from the OS to the centre shaft.

Hoop, Cedar, Tasmanian Oak,Cedar, tasmanian Oak, Hoop, Meranti

IMG_0704Small.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Oh yeah,

This pig was my first foray into single blades.

length 48 inches,

aluminium shaft and plastic blade and T piece handle pop riveted onto the shaft. Weight 1 pound 7 ounces.

About all it is good for is smacking jet skiers up the side of the head with. :lol:
IMG_0696Small.jpg

IMG_0697Small.jpg

ya can see by the dust on it how lince it has been wet.
IMG_0698Small.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick

I see that you are doing like I did with the left over wood from one of the boats , making a paddle to go with it.

Great way to have a total customized outfit and for almost nothing but a little work. This is some of the fun of making your own boat , it doe not have to stop with just the boat.

Chuck.

arrondo

Sep 28, 2006
Seattle, Washington
Nice work, mate!

I'd still take that aluminum paddle on trips with you, though. Those jet-skier noggins can get pretty thick. No sense bustin' up your fine craftsmanship on 'em. :wink:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Aaron,

Ya take a Ruger SP 101 fer jet skiers. :lol:

regards
bearridge

The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable. H. L. Mencken

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
G'day Mick,

Are you every going to want to use a shop bought paddle again? That new ones a beaut.

I have just made one for my little boy (6yrs).
He doesn't know it yet but when Dad finishes the boat (last breast hook being epoxied tonight) he is going to be presented with this:
paddle1.jpg

I have kept the blade relatively small so that it is fun but not too tiring. It also has an epoxy tip so that it should stand a few scrapes!

Of course I will have to make a matching one for myself as I can't be seen with a plastic fly swat if he's got a nice wooden paddle.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi guys,

Thanks very much for all the kind words of encouragement. :D I am pretty pleased with them. The proof will be in the paddling though.

I have seen commercially made, laminated blade paddles for sale (outrigger paddles) here with price tags well in excess of AUD $400.00. They are eagerly sought after even at that price.

When I get my clamping jigs properly set up, I reckon I can turn one out in about 8 hours. There is an opportunity here, I think.

Steve mate, I will never use an aluminium haft, plastic blade thing again (to padle with). I love you lettle fellers paddle mate. Beautiful work. It seems to me you are an accomplished woodworker in your own right.

I have been intimidated by the thought of building a paddle for years. No more. :D

Ron,

Mate, yeah I have thought of doing a kayak paddle, but likewise, have been way too intimidated. I like to use a Euro style kayak paddle. by that, I mean, Feathered, asymetrical and curved blades.

I am currently using a carbon/kevlar shaft with some high teck plastic like stuff for blades. Beautiful thing to use, very light and strong and is capable of generating enormous power, relative to the surface area of the blades. it cost me about AUD $350.00 new.

My plan is to try to duplicate the thing in timber, probably in Aussie Western Red Cedar and Tassie Oak laminates. Cedar for lightness and Tassie oak for strength. Both these woods are very expensive and can be difficult to source here. Even so, I reckon I can make something up for less than about $50.00 and a few hours of fun. :D

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Hi Mick,
I think it will be a while before my son builds his own paddle (although he made an excellent bird nestbox today). I have some offcuts of mahogany that I have been saving for a rainy day and I am going to lay these up as laminations in a couple of paddles. As luck would have it I broke the blade on my bandsaw this morning :( Anyway I need to concentrate on the pirogue at the moment.

Like yourself I have looked at some of the prices quoted and thought "I could do that!" Your boats always look beautiful and you have plenty of workshop space there.

Why not make a few, trying different combinations of wood and then offer some to the sort of folk who will pay good money for a custom hand made paddle? I would highly recommend this book:

(Copy and Paste)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canoe-Paddles-C ... 58/ref=sr_
1_18/026-8411655-4369237?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176585260&sr=1-18

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
stevesteve said:
I think it will be a while before my son builds his own paddle (although he made an excellent bird nestbox today).
Friend double steve,

Fer what kinda bird?

regards
bearridge
bodine ornithologikle society

Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. Unknown

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Hi Bearridge,
Bluetits, coaltits and the like - small birds. The entry hole is about an inch across. They're good little critters to have in the garden as they eat pest species so no need to spray the fruit.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
What nice little birds! It appears to be breeding season 'n both lay a heap a eggs. Do you have many different species in yer garden? neighborhood? Miz Bear 'n me made our place inta a bird haven. We got big hawks (red tailed) down ta micro birds like the Ruby Crowned Kinglet.

We have had coyotes, racoons, possum, armadillos, red foxes 'n rabbits too.

regards
bearridge

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. Mark Twain

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
We have a few species, mostly small birds but there are a couple of large wood pigeons - which my son thinks would be good in a pie. There is a woodpecker nearby but he just laughs at me while hiding next door!
The only raptor is a Sparrow Hawk which cruises past every now and then (apart from the owls but I only get to hear them).