Hairy's Wadefish (Kadaitchi) | SouthernPaddler.com

Hairy's Wadefish (Kadaitchi)

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi guys,

Matt of Jemwatercraft has very kindly been working to design a sit on Top kayak for me based on his Wadefish design but specific to my whims and needs. I call her Kadaitchi after a Northern Australian Aboriginal Spirit renound for its speed, stealth and utter ruthlessness in pursuit of its prey. What I was hoping to achieve was a very good fishing platform on an effecient hull capable of geniune rough water and surf work.

There are reefs several miles off-shore to the south east of where I launch and the prevailing winds here are from the South East with afternoon sea breezes averiging 15 knots from the East-North East. this creates conditions with up to 3 or 4 feet of wind chop in the afternoon.

To this end, I wanted a hull that performed well, paddling out in the morning calm but also capable of surfing the chops on the way back in the afternoon. In short, I want a manouverable boat capable of quick accelleration to catch these waves and plane down their faces. I guess I was after a good fishing machine that was fun to paddle and capable of play when I felt so inclined.

I think Matt has really stepped up to the mark with this one and I am convinced that this is the way of the future for fishing sit On Top Kayaks. There are a few "superyaks" being built in fibreglass for off shore fishing in South Africa that I believe are leading the world in fishing kayak design. These have inspired some of my ideas for this one. A couple are my own and I am hoping, are more appropriate for where I fish, and time will tell if they will work or not. I reckon that this boats open water performance will be on a par with these 'superyaks" :D :D

Guys, I am very excited about this boat and Matt has told me that the plans and directions etc. are allmost complete and will be posted shortly. (thanks again mate) My shed is cleaned up and ready to go. tools are sharpened and honed, Epoxy, glass and ply are in stock. As soon as the plans get here, construction will begin.

will post much more shortly. :D :D :D

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
About 15 feet by 26 inches. Should weigh in at around 48 pounds bare. Mate, Matt has been a true gentleman to deal with throughout the process, absolutely professional and nothing has been too much trouble. He is a credit to the industry and I can't recommend his services highly enough.

These will definately not be the last plans I buy from him.

I don't know if it would be appropriate to post a concept drawing here or not at this stage, but as soon as Matt gives the go ahead I will do so.

This Boat when fitted out, will have many of the deck features of the Kaskazi Dorado "superyak" which can be viewed here http://www.kayak.co.za/kaskazi/dorado.htm plus the raised bow profile similar to the Viking Predator that can be viewed here http://www.vikingkayak.com.au/predator_kayak.htm

This will be mounted on a hull similar to a conventional planing sea kayak hull.

Both are, in my opinion, magnificent designs in fishing kayaks but the dorado costs around AUD$3,000 to import into Aust. The locally made predator is much cheaper at around AUD $2,000 fitted out but is made of plastic. Neither are exactly what I want.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi guys,

I finally got time to make a start on my boat. I gotta tell you,, The more she starts to take shape, the more impressed I am with her.

I plan to take this one real slow and make the hull as fair and sweet as I can.

Swamprat, Thanks mate :D I think this is going to be a real slippery little beast.

I think Matt will be a little mad at me because I am not sticking to his build instructions. I am using a strong back to help me manage with the panels and to keep everything in line and true. It works for me and I want to stick to what I know. Anyway, I got the bottom panels and the first side panel on on one side today. I hope to get a little more done tomorrow.

Here are a couple of piccies.

This one shows the generous flare in the bow starting to take shape. Should provide good lift in surf.
Kadaitchi015Medium.jpg

This one is the sern starting to take shape. lovely fine exit. Should help with tracking.
Kadaitchi016Medium.jpg

This is just a side view. should be very good secondary stability.
Kadaitchi014Medium.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Islandpiper,

thanks for the reply. :D

yeah mate, Spacers is what they are. They are used to creat a small gap between the panels that is filled with woodflour mixed with epoxy. Acts like a very good glue.

Full details are in Matt's website. Works a treat. :D

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hull panels 1,2&3 are all stitched up and true. Hopefully tomorrow, i will be able to stitch and tru the final hull panel, then tis on to the wood flour :D

A couple of piccies.

Kadaitchi28Medium.jpg

Kadaitchi18Small.jpg

Kadaitchi25Medium.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Jack,

Yeah mate, it has a bit, but I want to get the bulk of the work done, while it is still relatively cool. Lovely winters day today, Min 62 degrees - Max 75 degrees, no wind or rain- just perfect. Tomorrow looks like much the same so I should be able to get a fair bit more done.

I have heard reports that the fish are bighting well, out in the bay at the moment but I really want to finish this one soon.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I wish we had your weather here, today. Going to 92 w/ 75% humidity then too. Keep up the good work on those boats, then do the good work on the fishies.

There's a steam engine show I'm going too. May have to crawl into a steam boiler to cool off today. I love to watch those old chuffers work. Over 50 years ago, Dad introduced me to them and I've liked them ever since.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Jack,

Is 92 normal summer temp for over there?

We get about 7 months of those sorts of temps with similar humidity. I hate bloody summers here. Your winters are much colder than ours, just surprised at the summer temps.

I love steam trains too. There is a restored one at Gympie, about 60 miles south from here that does monthly excursions for the tourists along our Mary River Valley to a small country town (Imbil) for the day and back. A lovely scenic day trip on a beautifuly restored train.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Summer WX here in the Great Lakes basin of the Canadian Shield country varies in the 70's - 90's. Humidity varies from 35%-98%. My preference is high sixties for temperature, and 40% humidity. Weather man doesn't seem to listen to me very well, though.

Bullhead

Mar 27, 2005
Indiana
I know what you are talking about Jack, Indiana swampland here with 95 degrees today and humidity so bad that this morning is was almost foggy but more of a swamp mist.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
It's neat to start with a few, large pieces of plywood; cut them into a buncha smaller - odd looking - pieces; and then assemble that pile into a single piece that is a graceful boat. I particularly like it when the first set or two of panels along the keel line begin to arch into the stem ends. All of a sudden - it's a boat!

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
hi Bullhead,

yeah mate cast from scrap lead into ingots. Easier storage, i make my own sinkers.

quick update,

hull is sort of complete as is cockpit & supports, Started fitting foredeck and hatch. bloody trying to think about two boats at the sme time is confusing the hell out of my old addled brain..

couple of piccies.

Kadaitchi95Medium.jpg

Kadaitchi100Medium.jpg

Kadaitchi102Medium.jpg