Hatches | SouthernPaddler.com

Hatches

JEM

I've seen that before. Pretty slick. Rare-earth type magnets are VERY strong. We have some at my day job. They are the size of dimes and will leave a nice blood blister if you get your skin pinched between 2 of them trying to come together.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Mike. thanks for sharing the link mate.

Personally, I don't like the concept. I am a low teck man and have no faith in anything that is not strapped or screwed shut on anything as critical as a hatch on a kayak.

They might well work, but I have no intention of finding out for myself. My experience is that if something like this will fail, it will allways fail at the worst possible time. The hatches I use, work - allways and I am very happy with that. :D

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Like Matt said those mags can be skin pinchers. Also heard that they are prone to rust if not totally encapsulated by epoxy, since the are iron based (I believe, could be wrong).

I like the good old-fashioned click of a mechanical fastener to convince me that my hatch lids will still be on my boat after cruising down the highway. Also, moving water can be a pretty strong force at trying to pry the hatch lid up.

To me, mags always seemed to be like relying on gravity to hold a hatch lid on. Others swear by them. Did see a site once where somebody mounted two into the shaft of a wooden paddle and then two in the boat's hull, to make a paddle keeper. (but I would still prefer the bungee paddle leash).

DM

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
If I were to have a hatch, these would provide the "elastic" portion of a security system. IE: they work to hold it tightly. I would also have an absolute system (strap with a positive, over-center locking device) to prevent the hatch form traveling far, should the magnet somehow fail.

Being even more anal retentive than Hairy Mick. I refuse to have anything with any moving parts on my boats. And, I refuse to construct a waterproof hull, and then cut holes in it. Why create a leak where none existed? Hull integrity is too important to intentionally compromise it.

"Moving parts don't", but "leak-proof tanks do".

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
:lol:
Bet a compass would really be accurate mounted on the front deck with
those magnets near and don't you know all your electronics would love to be stored in under those and passed over them when you take them in and out of the hatches
Ron

Manjimike

Jun 18, 2007
Manjimup, West Australia
tx river rat said:
:lol:
Bet a compass would really be accurate mounted on the front deck with
those magnets near and don't you know all your electronics would love to be stored in under those and passed over them when you take them in and out of the hatches
Ron

Good point Tx r r :oops:

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
I've messed with these magnets before. I used them to make electric brushless motors for R/C aircraft. They are impressive little buggers.

Much more intense than your "average' magnet! You don't want them anywhere near your credit cards, your computer hard drive, and mine came with a warning about keeping them away from a pacemaker.

Now, I don't personally own one of those, but if you do. . .

I much prefer the low-tech solution over a high-tech one, whenever I have a choice. Low-tech tends to be both simpler and less prone to failure.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
FlaMike said:
Much more intense than your "average' magnet! You don't want them anywhere near your credit cards, your computer hard drive, and mine came with a warning about keeping them away from a pacemaker.

YEP... A magnet is what they use to shut off my defibrillator when I have any surgery. The one they used was called a Pacemaker magnet.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
If you have a credit card - it ain't magnets that you want to keep away from them. Worry first about WIVES!

Damage from magnets is easy to fix with a phone call. Damage to credit cards from wives can be irreparable.

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
speaking of pacemakers....

can anyone here tell me about 'em? What I might expect and such, and how long to recover after... talked to the doc the other day and he said if my heart rate (35) doesn't come up with this new meds, we gotta start plannin' on one.... Ain't really enthused about it.... I wanna get where I kin get back to w**k..... I'm not taken by this influx of unproductive free time.... The missus even got No. 1 son mowing the yard to keep me from doin' it. The battleaxe even put a diff'rent lock on th' shop!