Heater Meals | SouthernPaddler.com

Heater Meals

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
While shopping at the grocery store this morning , I was after a turkey breast to do for supper tonight , with the fixings. I notice on an end cap something called Heater Meals http://heatermeals.com/cart/index.php well the Mushroom Gravy , Mashed Potatoes and Beef caught my eye.

This appears to be a civilian version of the MRE's and I have noticed some of the guys on the river trips using them , Van always has several heater meals with him. Bear always has an MRE or three with him.

You don't need anything else with them they even furnish the water pack to activate the heating unit included in the box. I got the regular Heater Meal and not the Heater meal plus which has snacks , fruit , bread sticks and even a drink with it. Checking there web site I noticed they even have the breakfasts meals.
The regular meal has a two year shelf life , they do make one with an extended shelf life like an MRE has.

What peaked my interest is the way the guy's would heat the meals and how simple it was to do. Lets say it is a rainy night in Georgia when you pull into a camp site , get the hammock and rain fly up so there is a spot out of the rain to duck under. Break one of these out and have a hot meal without the camp stove , fire or anything else that might cook the hammock along with your meal. A hot meal on a rainy night sure is nice. :D
Or if you are traveling and get to a campground and don't want to fuss with cooking something , heat one of these up and break a coke out of the cooler.

Chuck.
I'm curious to see if they taste better then an MRE which I bet they do. :lol: Since they are for civilian use.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I've used them before; haven't seen any in 5-6 years. I thought they'd gone out of business. I guess they just went South to easier pickings.

Servings are on the light side. About 3-4 of them before you even have to burp. By that time, you're $11-14 dollars into a dinner.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Truthful Jack,

I dont know bout store bought, but MREs fer soldiers these days aint nuthin' like they wuz even a few years back. They got a heap a vegetarian meals, Hindu meals, Kosher meals, Mexican meals, Moslem meals, etc. They cut back on redneck meals.....no chicken 'n dumplings, Frito pie 'er Spam on a shingle. One of 'em had a quiche. One had strawberry/banana nut bread.....'n a heap a sugar free drink mixes 'n fancy coffee. I bet a soldier outside the wire in Waziristan iz mitey glad ta git a hot gourmet meal in a bag. [wink]

regards
bearridge

ps I reckon before long they will all be organic. [sigh]

I won't take my religion from any man who never works except with his mouth.  Carl Sandburg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
I've used them before; haven't seen any in 5-6 years. I thought they'd gone out of business. I guess they just went South to easier pickings.

Servings are on the light side. About 3-4 of them before you even have to burp. By that time, you're $11-14 dollars into a dinner.

3/4 of a pound ( 12 oz) of chow in the normal pack and you are low on the price , there at the store they are $5.00 a shot. Figure a burger king whopper and small onion rings will run over $6.00 ( that includes all the grease you want) :lol: Plus you can't get that where I go camping , these seam like a good back up chow item. A couple of them in the food box would be nice. They are less then any MRE's around here the military surplus folks sell.
The MRE 's have a 8 oz Entree or 1/2 pound. :wink:

Jack ... I agree with you about the light side ....It ain't no Jimmy Buffet line with a lot of chow to chose from and with a ice cold Tequila Margarita at the end but it is a whole lot better then nothing. Want one of them Margaritas to sip on , ya have to camp with txriverrat. He even brings the ice for them. :D

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
They may have changed some since I saw them; had some room to change. Good to carry as a back up. I carried an MRE for back up fro a few years, then ate it.

I have a couple of the Veggie ones I like to use for door stops here at the homestead or ballast in the canoe , some day they will be consumed.