Help,I need paddling advice for the pirogue! | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Help,I need paddling advice for the pirogue!

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Hey Ct I just had to laugh alittle when I read your post. :) I don,t know if you read my post alittle while back where I went on a canoe trip with a friend. Well I have a old town guide 14.7. Where we went the river was very low alot of blow downs we had to go over & around. I was gone three days & didn,t turn over . I even stood up in it alot.

I know it isn,t like a piro but if it was going to roll it should have done it then!! I went tuesday on a trip with my dog was the first time of that . She would walk from one side to the other side & it would lean , but we was a long way from rolling.

Now on the piro side I do have a little Willy Harris plywood boat. Don,t know if Chuck or any one has ever heard of him. He used to build boats around the coast here . This boat is 9' in lenght . You sit in the middle solo. Me & My son has been in it before . Talk about center of gravity if you sneeze in this one it will wet you. I have paddled it several times & havent swamped yet. It didn,t take me long to get used to it. :wink: :lol: Hang in there I believe you will get used to it.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
You guy's are awsome! I can't wait to get back on the water now. Thanks for the encouragement. I hope to paddle with some of you someday and don't want to embarass myself. you gotta start somewhere. :oops:

Bye the way, Thanks for not ripping me a new one for being open about my lack of paddling skills. It meant alot!

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Mick"s early paddling skills, more time spent in the water than in the boat.
That sometimes still applies depending on how much beer is taken. :lol: (i take none off-shore but just love a coldie when sneaking round the skinny waters on a hot day. Oh yeah, my electronics are waterproof. :lol:

Nah, seriously, all paddlers have to learn sometime. Part of the joy of paddling is the sense of achievement in keeping the water under the boat as our good friend Bear is so fond of saying.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
There ain't no other kind. (Well, that really isn't true. There's also paddlers who can't read tidal charts.)

That's OK Jack , no one will hold it against you or oldyaker since you guy's are from a land locked area up north.

If you really want to learn how , I will be more then happy to teach you the fundamentals of reading those charts. There are two steps to the process.

1. 1st you need to get up and have the boats in the water before the tide starts to come in , ya know while it is still going out. :p

2. After step one is done then you can use the tide chart to light a campfire , one of the best uses for a chart.

Chuckles ya all.