Help with varnish | SouthernPaddler.com

Help with varnish

kee41

Jul 25, 2005
Mary Esther Florida
I posted this on the wrong section, so I will try again. my varnish is peeling off and can't figure out why. I sanded it lightly prior to putting it on and after just four months its coming off everywhere. Any suggestions?

Kelvin

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Flagship is peeling?

The only thing that would do it is having some oil under it. Spray from a container that blew over on it or even fingerprints if you had some on your hands.

I have had Min Wax :twisted: peel all the time but ......NEVER WITH..... Z Spar Captains varnish or the Z Spar Flagship.

DON'T use MIN WAX , it does not last and is not worth the effort to put it on because you will just be taking it off.... I have NEVER had it hold up for me.
I cut corners on the canoe by using Min Wax and guess what ... I have to sand the whole boat and revarnish it but this time with Z Spar.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I'm with Chuckie on this - both parts.

("There now, Jack, that wasn't so bad, was it! You can agree with Chuckie now and then without damaging your reputation for honesty, integrity, and savior faire."
"Well, maybe once in a while ... but it still hurts!")

My guess is, that it's the stuff underneath the Z-Spar that is pealing. Or, as Chuck suggests, surface preparation left something on that is killing adhesion of Z-Spar.

Pirogue

Reply to the wrong message

I had the same problem with my pirogue. Did you get the amine blush off?

Mine took extremely long to dry and eventually started to peel.

Before I finished my canoe, I gave it a good washing with warm water. That helped.

kee41

Jul 25, 2005
Mary Esther Florida
Well, I will try your suggestions. I'll wipe her down good, give her a good sanding and apply another coat of Flagship Z Spar Varnish. At $32 per quart, I hope this is not a regular thing. I do have to mention that I have used this boat quite a bit this summer so I probably shouldn't complain too much.

Kelvin