Hesitation, Should I build wooden or Buy Plastic? | SouthernPaddler.com

Hesitation, Should I build wooden or Buy Plastic?

jghall

Jul 31, 2008
Conyers, GA
Hello guys... I have a question, I have been lurking around this board for years and have posted a few questions along the way... I have always wanted to build a wooden boat, and it looks like the time has finally come (kids getting raised, finances in great shape etc)... I have several in mind, but right now I have a question about building a boat for a particular purpose... I am an avid trout fisherman living in the metro Atlanta area so I am very close to many miles of GA, NC and TN mountain trout streams most are small mountain stream that are not navigable... However there are several larger rivers in the North Georgia/Western North Carolina Mountains that I love to trout fish (Toccoa, Hiawassee, Valley etc)... My question is this, these are large rivers and are much better fished when floated, they do have some stretches of class 1, with numerous rocks, log jams and shoal areas... Would I be crazy to build say a Jem Trapper 15-38 or TV 15-32 to fish these rivers??? Would they be durable enough to handle the conditions that would be encountered on the relatively swift moving shallow rivers??? I currently use an inflatable and it is due for replacement, and have thought about a drift boat but do not want that much weight because it needs to be carried on the roof of my Jeep or the pop up and I would also like something that paddles well so I can use it on the lakes and ponds near my house when not trout fishing... Would it be possible to beef the bottom of say the TV (at the expense of weight of course)up to handle these rivers??? I have thought about something like the Au-sable river boats used on the Au-sable river in Michigan http://www.woodwatercraft.com/troutsman.html but I have found no plans for this type craft and I do not believe it would paddle well due to its wide beam and flat bottom... So that's where my hesitation is in building a boat for this particular purpose, I LOVE wood but am I stuck with plastic or aluminum for this particular boat??? By the way, I am a fairly skilled hobby furniture maker, so I already have all the tools and the space... Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Jeff

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I'm a quiet ( Florida ) stream or river paddler but have been in two rivers that were just the opposite.

Ron (tx river rat ) runs his TV down the Brazos River and it has rocks in it , some small rapids and long stretches of very shallow water with nothing but rocks for a river bottom. One area you have to walk the boat a good 1/4 mile.
I have been down it with him and even paddled the Buffalo River ( flood stage ) in Arkansas when it was a panic ride threw the rapids and around ( sometimes over or into ) rocks. Both times in a canoe of wood and glass.

Both times the canoe and I survived without any damage but if I was going to do it all the time , my choice would be a plastic boat , that are way more forgiving and less nerve racking when it comes to bumping something solid. Definitely would stay away from the aluminum , it likes to stick to rocks. Or at lease one Grumman ( a couple of the guys had ) on a trip wanted to.

You could do both , a wood one for the more open areas of the rivers and when fishing the rapids the plastic. As far as beefing up the bottom of the boat , that would be your call on how much you beef it up. It is your boat and made the way you want it. Some graphite and epoxy mix on the bottom would also help.

With any luck someone on here that paddles that type of water all the time will answer your question.

Chuck.

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
I also live in the northern part of Atlanta metro area. I have canoed the Toccoa, the upper Etowah, upper "hooch", Amicalola Creek, Chestatee, Chattoga, etc. Chuck is right a plastic boat would be much more forgiving. Yes, a TV or Trapper could make it if you didn't make any mistakes, but walking out could be a real pain if you did make a mistake. You can still find old Bluehole canoes on Craig's list pretty regularly and one of them can handle almost anything these rivers can throw at them. You could still make a TV or Trapper or Sasquatch for the ponds and lakes.

Jimmy

jghall

Jul 31, 2008
Conyers, GA
Thanks for the replies... I had my hesitations about a wooden boat on these rivers, thats why I asked... I still plan to build a wooden boat for my local lakes, ponds but a plastic boat may be my best bet for sure...

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
jghall said:
Thanks for the replies... I had my hesitations about a wooden boat on these rivers, thats why I asked... I still plan to build a wooden boat for my local lakes, ponds but a plastic boat may be my best bet for sure...

You want a light weight boat to use on the lakes and rivers ....... The 14 x 30 Sasquatch that Matt designed is one great canoe.

I made one from the kit he offered when it 1st came out........
14x30%20052.jpg

Made it as a solo and the completed weight of it is a real heavy 30 pounds which I can toss it on the top of my Jeep Wrangler and take it anywhere.

It is the same canoe I used on the Brazos with the guys.
Ron's Trip Report..........
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6244

In fact it just hangs around next to the stripper pirogue looking for someplace to go.
hanging%20around.jpg

Chuck......

jghall

Jul 31, 2008
Conyers, GA
Thanks for the idea... Awesome looking boat, I have been a member here for a loooong time so I am familiar with your boat... I may need something a little larger as my wife and daughter will be with me the majority of the time...

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Friend Hall, Au Sable River boats are drastically different than a canoe. They drag a chain, are propelled by downstream current, and are steered with the pole you see the operator digging in, in the picture. Most of them are long, 18' and over, and heavy, requiring a trailer. Reading your description of the rivers you fish, they may not be a good choice. For one thing, you have to decide if you are going to fish, or operate the boat. Operating is pretty much a full time job for even experienced guides on the Au Sable.

I did see an Au Sable boat made of thin plywood last year. First one I've ever seen that wasn't made of planks. Even this weighed about 80 pounds.

Jimmy Wingo, who posted above, has pictures of a gaggle of us on the Au Sable last May. They may provide some insight for you. Additionally, he travels waters in your area. You might post a Private Message to him on here and connect to get more of his input? He's a pretty knowledgeable paddler and camper. His dog, Tippy, is nice too. (His horse, however, tells tall tales even that I can't match.)

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I run some rough rivers here in TX ,The Brazos has a little bit of everything. The Llano is ten times worse. I run them fine
Now a statement on boats,( this is just my opion) The woods hold up great here,but glass inside and out then they are tougher than boot leather. Another thing I like is the ability to repair them,I have seen a lot of plastic boats with holes in the hulls ,plastic bottoms worn out running the same water I run.
If built right wood is tough.
Ron