HHH, or Hennessy Hammock Heresy | SouthernPaddler.com

HHH, or Hennessy Hammock Heresy

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
First off, I truly love the Hennessy Hammock bottom entry. I know some really don't care for it, and some of those have actually tried it. But for me, it just makes sense. Easy to get in and out, and you leave the flying pest outside the hammock where they belong, not inside the bug net with YOU all night long.

But there are times when a side entry would be nice. And sometimes, the bug net isn't actually needed. Even in my part of Florida, what we call "could" is cold enough for the mosquito squadrons to be grounded. When that happens, the net isn't needed. But on the HH Expedition and other models, the netting is a permanent part of the hammock, not meant to be opened, or removed.

Well, until now, anyway.

My wife, Nanette (who still says her name is NOT Dementia,) was gracious enough to do a major overhaul of the hammock. I planned it out and got the materials, she did ALL the work. And a nice job of it, too! :D

This zipper mod is something that many have opted for, and there is now one outfit on the Internet that will do it for you. They have several versions of the modification, and the one I now have is the "biggie." It involves the installation of two side zippers, one with a single zipper pull on it, and the other side has three pulls. Why three?

It allows you to open the netting from either end, part way open, if you need to reach inside (or out,) to get something, or to adjust anything. And, you can unzip it all with way down to the foot end to completely open one side. Then you can zip the other side down to the foot, and roll the netting up, stuff it in the foot end, and have a completely open hammock, with no netting.

When it gets cold enough to loose the aerial assault squadrons, it's cold enough to need a pad in the hammock, along with a blanket and/or sleeping bag. Getting any or all of that situated inside the hammock when the bug netting can't be opened, using the bottom entry, can be a major undertaking.

Now, I think I have the best of both worlds! :D

Here is what that looks like. First, the head end:

hh01.jpg

On the side closest to the camera, only one of the three pulls is visible. The other two are down at the foot end. After the zipper has been installed, the first pull runs down to the foot, opening the zipper. Then you run the second one down, closing it. Now you can use that second one to open the zipper from the foot end, to gain access to that end of the hammock, leaving the rest of the zipper closed. You can also use the third zipper (still at the head end,) to open the zipper at the head end, to get to that end of the hammock, or to completely open that side for entry or exit into the hammock.

The netting is cut across at this end, to the other side. That side is the one that has a single pull on it. Right now, it is hiding under the black hood she installed. I will be putting a cord on each of the pulls, so they can be easily used from inside the hammock or outside, when they are hidden under the hoods at each end. The foot end of the netting is NOT cut across, so the netting is still attached at the foot end. The netting never is completely removed from the hammock. When not wanted, it is stuffed in a little bag fixed at the foot end of the hammock.

The foot end:

hh03.jpg

The covering hood, the black part, is part of the modification she did. The one on this end is larger than the head end, as this one has the netting storage bag under it. The one at the head end is to cover the part where the netting was cut across, and keeps the bugs from discovering that opening. (That opening is only about an inch across.) And that is NOT a tear in the netting! The bottom entry wasn't sealed completely when I took the picture. That's just the ground showing through the opening.

One tricky part was where the hammock curves out where the spreader lines attach:

hh02.jpg

And lastly, here is the hammock with the zipper opened completely down one side, with the netting flipped out of the way.

hh04.jpg

I'm really liking this modification! Hennessy does now offer a zipper version of the Expedition hammock, but it doesn't come with the bottom entry, too. One or the other. I think the one company that does the zipper mod on your bottom entry hammock charges about $80 or so, for the "full" mod, and less for the other variations. They will also permanently close the bottom entry for you, if you request it.

You can pay to have it done, or do it yourself for less than half the cost. Either way, I think this is a good thing to have. And it will get a full, field test, next week.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Fla Mike

That is one nice job your wife did on the hammock , I am sure you will enjoy it a lot more since it can be configured to fit the different seasons of the weather.
Tom ( Hennessy ) has new ones with the zippers and he advertises then as side entry hammocks.

As far as bottom entry...........Been there and did that for several years........ :D
Yep , I'm one that likes the side entry and that is the reason I like the Clark Tropical over the Hennessy Safari that I have. Plus the Clark has material in it that the bugs can not bite threw. Then when the bugs are not around the netting unzips on both sides and is folded up at one end of the hammock and out of the way giving a person a wide open hammock , with or without the rain fly overhead. Usually with for me since it tends to rain a lot when I go camping. :roll:

I have to say the Hennessy Safari Deluxe I have has had a lot of miles put on it and everyone was comfortable and enjoyable when sleeping in it. It is one of the older styles which is a bottom entry and quite large. I can fit my 6-1 frame in it and also have a large backpack in the hammock with me. Tom did not come out with the side entry hammocks for several years after I got mine from him.

I wanted a smaller hammock and side entry plus one where the screen can be moved out of the way which is the Clark Tropical. The Clark can be entered from either side and NO the backpack will not fit in it with me even thought I have a smaller and lighter ( 15 oz ) pack today.

Chuck.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
I found the web site of the company that does the zipper mods. They have several versions of it. Mine is their #4 mod, but with the 3 zipper pulls just on one side. Couldn't see needing that kind of access to put 3 pulls on both sides. I hear they do good work.

The web site has a lot of pics and videos on their work.

The site is: http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/

Right now, time is getting short. My check list has been completed. Nothing left but to pick up some edible provisions, pack, and go. Still have to work this weekend, get home Monday morning around 7:30 AM, then be ready to start driving at 3AM, Tues. morning. I'm actually feeling a little nervous! :D

I'm much rather leave right now!

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL