high dollar fishin' poles | SouthernPaddler.com

high dollar fishin' poles

Too Busy

Apr 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
There's a freindly competition going on right now over at SCkayakfishing.com to see who can catch the biggest fish on a kiddie pole. rules say it has to me an elcheapo marketed for kids and no modifications, braided line etc.

Fun stuff. Last winter one of the guys landed a 12+ pound redfish on a barbie rod.

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
Bearridge,
When I was about six, I found a nice straight willow, about an inch in diameter at the butt, and about seven feet tall. I cut it down, using a "Gentleman's fingernail knife"(Don't see those around any more.), carried it home, peeled it, and put it in the rafters of the chicken house.
I then started on my homemade reel. Which was basically a wooden thread spool(Don't see those around any more, either.) glued to a heavy copper wire with roofing tar. ( a common field expediant when one is six, and lives in the middle of nowhere.) This assembly was set in a frame of three wooden blocks, nailed together with shake nails( don't see them around any more.)
I loaded the reel with cotton string from the burlap bags(Don't see burlap bags much anymore.) Dad bought feed in. I think I tied three strings together. (The knots weren't a problem, because I hadn't figured out how to build a level wind for the reel at that time.)
The reel took most of the Summer to construct. When I finnished the reel, I retrieved the "rod" from the chicken house, and nailed the 'reel" to it with the shake nails, made guides from electric fence wire, stole a bobby pin from my Mother, for a hook(Don't see those around much anymore), bent into shape with pliers from the tractor's tool box, and sharpened on a rock. I tied on a twig for a bobber like my Grandad taught me, and a washer for a weight I was ready to go fishing!
I dug into the manure pile, and procured several "garden hackle", baited up, and was catching goldfish right and left, when my Father drove in from working in the field. And beat the doggie do-do out of me, for fishing in the stock tank, which he had stocked with goldfish to keep the water clean for the cattle.
But I learned my lesson; I fished from mid morning until just before noon, and then from just after noon until late afternoon. I never got caught again. And it was after all, catch and release.
The reel really sucked. I never actually used it, but I wish I had it now. It would be a relic from a kid with too much time on his hands.
A few years later, too much time on my hands would not be a problem!

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Jim,

Anuther fine tale that woke up some ole memories. I made a truck with wooden spools.....well, mebbe not a truck, but a cross tween a pickup 'n one of them rollin' machines that squashes asphalt flat. It worked good in the dirt. There must be 3-4 dozen croker sacks in the barn. I keep one by the door ta whack the surly skeeters that like ta hang out there suckin' the water off the oustide of the door.....works better'n my bandanas. I used ta git a chunk of tar at the lumber company.....black, unsweet chewin' gum. I broke off a small chunk of the cow's salt block ever now 'n then.

All our cow pie wars ended when someone chunked one that wuz too fresh. Then it wuz rasslin' time. Dang. I hijacked my own thread. :wink:

regards
bearridge

I jest want to see one more place that aint settled before I take up the rocking chair. Gus McCrae

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I set up a side trip with a friend of mine for some camping down at the Econ. He invited some Scouts to go along with us for the two nights of camping.

We hiked down to the river from my place and set up camp on it's banks and then decided to do some fishing. My friend and I had some high dollar outfits ( Pack rods and reels) and started fishing.

One of the kids who wanted to do some fishing did not have anything to use so we cut a green stick , about 7 feet long , shaved off the branches , attached a line and hook and even cut the bait so he could have some fun.

By now you have guessed who got all the blue gills , red breasts , catfish and even a nice bass for our supper. YEP... He was in the right spot and keeping it simple got all the fish for that meal. My friend and I got skunked that day and even the next day when fishing so we helped by baiting his hook and taking the fish off for him. :D

All I can say is ... It sure was worth it , all the smiles and a good meal to boot. It is one trip that I will remember for a long time , if not longer , that smart little ..... "O"oop's family forum Chuck. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
The petaphiles must be mite proud of the Master of Fishy Bizness. I never seen him hurt a fish, but he sho put a hurtin' on them shrimps 'n onions he fried in butter. In fact, he put a hurtin' on ever plate of vittles anyone ever set in front of him.....long az he wuz awake. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll:

regards
bearridge

The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been found. Calvin Trillin

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
The petaphiles must be mite proud of the Master of Fishy Bizness. I never seen him hurt a fish, but he sho put a hurtin' on them shrimps 'n onions he fried in butter. In fact, he put a hurtin' on ever plate of vittles anyone ever set in front of him.....long az he wuz awake. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll:

regards
bearridge

I was .... AWAKE :shock: Darn I thought it was a dream and that is why when breakfast came along I made it an endangered item. :lol:

Chuck.