Hippy Rice | SouthernPaddler.com

Hippy Rice

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Here is a recipe I have made since the 60's brown rice diet craze...turn off the lights, put on the Ravi Shankar Sitar music....light the Patchouli incense,light some candles and sit cross-legged when you eat it. The background on this recipe. We had a student teacher in our science class that was a self proclaimed hippy. We went on this early Spring Break backpacking trip. This is all she ate..and we loved it cooked over an open fire.
Hippy Rice
Cooked Whole Grain Round Brown Rice
1-can of drained green beans
1-can of drained whole kernel corn
chopped onion
chopped garlic
salt and pepper to taste.
Cook the rice
Saut'e the onion and garlic in olive oil/butter
Add this and all other ingredients to the rice
Salt and pepper to taste.

Eat and think of more simple :?: and tranquil :?:
times.
Kahuna
50 years old and just getting better
:roll:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I'm guessing that you may have been sweeter on this hippie than you profess. Anytheway, here is how to do it a lot simpler.

Just throw all ingredients into the pot and cook the rice. All other stuff cooks right along with it - one pot rice gloppy.

To make it even more simple, do this in a plastic bag and one of Mz Jean's steamer apparatuses (apparatii?). the BakePacker will steam this nicely, and leave no cooking-type dishes to wash.

You won't believe it until you try it.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
To make it even more simple, do this in a plastic bag and one of Mz Jean's steamer apparatuses (apparatii?). the BakePacker will steam this nicely, and leave no cooking-type dishes to wash.

You won't believe it until you try it.

Yep ,I will believe it. Just put the uncooked food in the bag then in the Backpacker , put it on the stove and get up a head of steam then let it cook for 20 minutes ... now take off the lid , pull out your supper open the bag and enjoy.
When you are done throw out the bag , lick your spoon or fork and you have had supper , washed the dishes and then ready to enjoy the fun times.

If you want to you can wash the bag for reuse but a 100 of them at Wally World is only a couple of bucks.

We have had chocolate cake baked on the river bank , (Swampy did one for my birthday a couple of years ago and it sure vanished) My favorite is the cornbread in the morning but anything you cook at home can be cooked in the backpacker out on a river bank.

Beanie Wieners now days are just a snack when camping since you can have all sorts of delicious foods, breads, cakes, pastas, anything you want.
Take a look at what can be cooked in the Backpacker ... Ms Jeans web site. http://www.adventurefoods.com/ Don't forget Ms. Jean gives southernpaddler members a discount on anything she has on her web site. Because she is a member on here with us.

Combine a BackPacker with a Hennessey Hammock and you do have some camping comfort ... both inside and outside of you, Now throw in a boat you have made ... It does not get any better then this.
Don't take my word for it ask the Geezers Paddling Clud.....We might be almost old but not over the hill and we sure ain't stupid. :D
You could say we just have a lot of river miles under the boats and camping time on us. :wink:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
... Don't take my word for it ask the Geezers Paddling Clud.....We might be almost old but not over the hill and we sure ain't stupid. :D
PSSsst - over here. Actually, one of us IS over the hill. But Chuckie made me promise to not tell who. So, I won't.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kahuna

Did up the rice last night to have as a side dish with some steaks off the grill.... I sauteed the Onion & Garlic in Butter with Salt & Pepper and added some more Butter & Salt & Peper to the rice.... It is quite good but it does need the Onion & Garlic to give it some flavor.

By the way I used the Lundberg Wild Blend http://www.lundberg.com/products/product_home.shtml which has several different blends of Wild & Premium Brown Rice with it and a 8oz can of String (Green) Beans and the same with the whole kernel Corn but plenty of Onion and Garlic.
Made plenty for two adults and one hungry pup who thinks he is a person , anyway at meal time he thinks that way.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Before anyone says anything about giving a dog people food let me tell you a little story.

A while back before we had pups we had a different dog and he had a touchy stomach, it would get on the Fritz at times and one time he actually had a splinter of a pork rib bone puncture it..... I took him to an old time Vet and the Vet suggested two things ........ Surgery or this.

Take some cooked rice, oatmeal and cottage cheese ........use equal thirds, mix together and fed it to him for a couple of days and see if he is better......
He got better and got where that mix was a treat for him. Sure beat him having some surgery. :D

By the way it is a little bland without any spices but it ain't that bad, quite filling..... Yep I tried it. Had everything in it that I like ... Rice, Oatmeal and Cottage Cheese.

Now all you can say my cooking is for the dog's ........ Dam I hate saying that or telling you.

Time for me to locate a fire hydrant ... I really have to go, what is that out there..... a cat ? .... growllllll , arf , arf ,arf.

Chuck. (Pant , Pant , Pant , Pant ,Pant the cat got away)

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

Sounds like Baldor musta put a pod on the Master of Flow Bizness. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

regards,
bearridge
bodine national space administration

The two most abundant things in the universe are hydrogren and stupidity. Harlan Ellison

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
... Made plenty for two adults and one hungry pup who thinks he is a person , anyway at meal time he thinks that way.
"One ringey dingy, two ringey dingey. (snort) Hello? is this SPCA? I wanna report (snort) a cracker down in Florida. He's feeding people food to his poor, emaciated dog. An that's the truuuth!"

"Whaaaat? Does the dog EAT it? Of COURSE he eats it. Poor animal, he's starved! Go get this guy and truss him up!"

"Whaaaat? Does the dog ENJOY it? I never really psychoanalyzed a dog; I don't know. Tell me - will you guys go arrest this cracker?"

"You WILL??!! Great! (snort)"

... and so it goes.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Chuckus Arrestus - I'm shocked! You didn't care for my Lilly Tomlin look-alike simulation? I like your food - except gree-itz or tofu - which isn't food anyway. I was just talking w/ Old Yaker on the landline. He cooks gritz with Dago red wine in them!

Aye God - corn bread and beans fer super. Something different for breakfast - beans n cornbread. Smoked turkey summer sausage for trimmings. JARVIS good eatin'!!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack
Not sure about Lilly Tomlin (laugh in) but I do know Dixie Lilly Grits....... here is a sure fire recipie from the Mount Dora Historic Inn , Bed & Breckfast in beautiful Mount Dora , Florida.

Mount Dora Historic Inn
Bed and Breakfast
Specialty Recipe

Lindsay's Cheese Grits

4 cups water 1 cup Dixie Lily Regular Grits (can use yellow or half yellow/half white, do not use instant)
3/4 teaspoons salt dash fresh ground pepper
1/2 cup milk (as it came from the cow)
1 stick butter
8 ounces cheddar cheese
2 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1/8 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
2 ounces peach schnapps
Bring water to boil in microwave. Add grits and cook for 10 minutes on 50% power (stir to the bottom at least twice or grits will be lumpy). Add butter, garlic, and cheese and fold in until dissolved. When temperature on grits gets below 135 degrees, add milk and eggs. Fold into grits. Place into ramekins or casserole dish. Cook at once or freeze. Drink peach schnapps.

Cook at 350 degrees for 50 minutes (70 minutes if frozen) or until top browns. Serve at once. Do not admit they are grits until after everyone tastes them.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Sounds mighty tasty, Chuck. Jimmie called me and wants to know if I thought that recipe would be OK if he added tofu and some Dago red? I told him sure, go ahead and add tofu to the gritz. No sense ruining TWO dishes.

Then drink the Dago red.