Historical Pirogue Propulsion? | SouthernPaddler.com

Historical Pirogue Propulsion?

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
I was wondering if anyone (Keith, maybe?) has any insight on just how the traditional Pirogue in the deep South was generally propelled?

I've heard that they were more often moved along by push pole than by other means. I'm guessing that the kayak paddle was not an option until very recently. Perhaps a canoe-type paddle?

It isn't just idle curiosity that leads me to ask about this, well, not entirely anyway. I'd also like to know for a very practical reason.

I was out today in the Ozello Keys area, kind of a "scouting" mission of sorts. Very interesting place! Mostly hard bottom, quite a few oyster beds, turtle grass most everywhere, some spartina grass on the banks, but lots of mangroves, as well.

Most of where I went was deep enough to paddle with the kayak paddle, but from time to time, I did drift across some real skinny water, about 3 to 6 inches deep. I found that sitting in the seat, sight fishing really suffers from the lack of height. Standing and casting in my Pirogue is not a problem, it's an Uncle John design, stretched out to 30 inches across the bottom, and 15' 10" long. (36 1/2" across the gunnels.)

With very limited experience on my part, I have to say that poling the Pirogue must be something of an art! I thought using a push pole in my 12' aluminium boat with a transom stern was a little "squirrely" at first, but in just the space of day, it became quite easy. I'm not so sure the Pirogue will turn out to be quite that easy.

The squared off stern made it easy to place the pole on the bottom, in line with the center line of the boat. But the pointy end of the Pirogue makes that a little difficult. Still, it must be do-able, if what I've been told about traditional Pirogues is true. . .

I talked with a local fly fishing guide about this, he was of the opinion that maybe a longer pole than I had, mine being only 10 feet, would help plant the pole more in-line with the boat's center line, and he also felt that it should have something of a paddle on one end, kind of a short blade, with a concave tip, rather than the usual convex one, for when using the paddle end as a push pole "foot."

From what he said, it sounds like that paddle-tipped pole could also be used to steer the boat in a drift, and to paddle the boat while standing. A point on the other end would be useful for poling across oyster beds and for use while "staking out."

Don't know how such a pole would fit into the historical view, but it does sound worth trying, don't you think?

Any ideas on this subject, any thoughts or experiences :?:

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

islandpiper

FlaMike.......I'll be surprised if Keith/Seedtick don't suggest some things. They have a nice selection of push poles, paddles, oars, sticks, fans and motors, all related to making pirogues go forward. There are another 10-12 tools for making them go backward. Sometimes Keith tows another pirogue just to carry all the tools and parts he uses to move around on the water. He built a 30-foot pirogue a while back , had a 9 1/2 beam that would hold all of it........found out a lot of his favorite places were about 7 1/2 feet wide. Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Piper

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Mike
I have used a pole called a ducks foot it flares out when you push on it and folds as you pull it to you so it doest stick in mud but gets a good wide footing on the bottom when you push could sharpen the other end
for a stake in shallow water
we had a gaff we slid on ours with a simple pin to gaff 100 lb gator gar
Ron

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Push poles are used in shallow open water. In deep water you paddle. Anything longer than about 10' is a cumbersome push pole. In amongst trees and low hanging branches, trying to manage a push pole is more trouble than it's worth. Out in the open, in shallow water where you can really put your weight behind the pole, you can fly.

Learning how to use one is like learning to ride a bike. You'll probably fall a few times

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
I appreciate the replies and now I think I know what I want to do next.

For just cruising about, I like using the kayak paddle. The seat is very comfortable, I can park my backside in it all day, no problem. Not very traditional I'm sure, but it works just great. :D

Most of the time, I'm not going to be in places with a lot of overhanging trees, I'm using the boat to fish a large estuary system where the water goes from 5 or 6 feet deep, to 3 or 4 inches, very quickly. There's a number of little channels that go back into a combination of spartina grass and mangroves, sometimes 15 feet wide, sometimes just a little wider than the boat. Frequently, these little canals will open up into a large, shallow bay with some "potholes" or deep spots that fish will hold up in at low tide.

When going through this area, I need to be standing in order to see the fish. To that end, I'm going to build a push pole as describe in my first post, probably have to laminate it out of wood, with a short paddle on one end, with a slightly concave tip, and a point on the other end.

Yesterday, I took along the PVC pole I'd used before on that 12 ft. aluminum boat. It worked OK, but it's a little too flexible for my taste and just doesn't look right on the Pirogue.

When I came to a deeper section, I remained standing and used it as a paddle. Not very efficient, seeing that it only had a "T" fitting on the end, not a paddle blade. But it showed me that "stand-up paddling" is a useful method for me.

Don't want to carry a kayak paddle for sitting down cruising, a regular canoe paddle for tight spots, and a long shaft paddle for standing up, and a push pole, too.

I think for fishing the Ozello Keys, I'll keep the kayak paddle and bring the push pole, too. When I do start exploring the swamps and rivers down here, I'll likely leave the push pole behind in favor of the canoe paddle.

One very non-traditional addition I'll make today, is some brackets that "plug in" to the space between the inner and outer rails, like my cup holders, only these will have the "hanger" outside of the boat.

With these, I can lay the kayak paddle or push pole down very quietly out side the boat. When you lay a long paddle down inside the boat on one side and a push pole on the other, it doesn't leave very much space in between. With them both in hangers outside, there'll be plenty of room for the "fly fishing dance" that occurs when hooking-up with "the big one." :D

I know this would NOT be a good idea in any kind of "tight spot" such as a swamp where a lot of you paddle. But keep in mind that where I'm using the boat, there's no danger of a branch or vine hanging up on the pole or paddle and snatching it out of the holder.

Thanks for letting me "think out loud." I've found that when I take the time to post what I'm thinking, I often answer my own questions, since posting requires me to better organize my thoughts.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Why not just use a closet rod at the length you want and then attach a wider area at the end of it to work as a semi paddle when in the deeper water. Sort of like one of the coffee spoons that Mac Donald's gives you. All shaft and very little at the end.

The wider width at the end should not dig into the bottom as bad as a round item (the end of the pole with nothing on it) The end of the pole or paddle could be a wood flour , epoxy mix glassed over for additional protection to it. You are not pushing the Queen Mary , just a light weight boat with very few fish in the cooler.:roll: NO , The Sardines you have along with you for a snack do not count as the catch of the day. :lol:

Something easy to repair ( when needed ) at your home between use. Then have the other end sharp or semi sharp to drive in the bottom as a pole to hold you.

A safety line attached to the pole and to the boat would secure it or if not then a paddle to paddle over and retrieve it later.

Chuck.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
What you described does sound a lot like what I had in mind. Not all that much of a paddle blade, not much is needed. I figured the slightly concave tip would be a little better than the usual convex or rounded tip, when it comes to dealing with softer bottoms, and provide a better purchase on rock or hard bottoms.

An epoxy/wood-flower edge, for certain.

Building up the pole rather than a store-bought closet dowel keeps me from making a road-trip to the "Depot Store." Besides, gives me something to do and help use up the left-overs cluttering up the garage.

Think I'll drop off-line and get started! I plan on heading back to Ozello tomorrow. Need to recover from the first tip yesterday, and take all the pictures I didn't take.

NO , The Sardines you have along with you for a snack do not count as the catch of the day.
Actually, the "catch of the day" yesterday was a sea turtle! About a foot across, he put up a pretty good fight. I got my fly back and he got his freedom. Next time, I'll pack the camera where I can get to it faster.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
FlaMike said:
NO , The Sardines you have along with you for a snack do not count as the catch of the day.
Actually, the "catch of the day" yesterday was a sea turtle! About a foot across, he put up a pretty good fight. I got my fly back and he got his freedom. Next time, I'll pack the camera where I can get to it faster.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

If the fly's you are tying are something a Turtle wants to eat ... NO , I will not even go there , no way Hosea , I would never do that , Not in a million years , There is your fishing reputation to keep , I have my honor to think about , never in your or Kayak Jacks life time. OK , Your life time but anything might go or happen in that Old Goats time span.

A Turtle and even a little bitty ( baby) one :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mick ... Help this pore Florida salt water fisher (turtle catching ) man , he needs some fishing instructions really quick. "O"ooop's Ya might or could be slow on the answer since the bigger turtles are some good chow if he could get one and land it. My bet is that the Turtle would win and all of us would have to go the Taco Bell for supper. :evil:

Not getting off the subject but that is what the wife and I had last night , I managed to get several handfuls of there packets of the Hot Sauce and WOW the FIRE ones are darn good....... The mild and hot are not that bad. The FIRE ones will light you up , Umm Umm Good.
Anyway I have them in storage ( packed up) for the upcoming trip.

Which reminds me , Chinese tomorrow so I can get more of the YI PIN (warm ) Mustard , some soy and some Duck sauce in those nice little packs for the trip.

Got to watch us ole farts , we are sneaky , we are geezer trained. Stocking up now and will collect more on the trip up to Yankee Land. Look out fast food joints. :lol:

Ya never know when someone will catch a turtle or the turtle will catch them so it is best to be prepared for either. The southern Paddlers delights , Bologna sandwiches or Vienna Sausages taste good with those condiments. :oops:

Chuckles
PS. Sorry about hijacking your thread and doing all this damage to it but it is a quiet day and I am BORED. Please forgive me but someone else might pick up on the fact that fast food joints offer more for a paddler then just starch , fat and more fat , sugar and starches in there diet while being there pigging out.
It could be considered as larceny of there condiments but since we paid for the pleasure of having that ability , I think of it as advertising for them while camping. :roll:

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Oh, I landed that sea turtle all right, got my fly back, too! ( My favorite Lefty's Deceiver.)

My fishing reputation? :roll:

Why sir! I ask you, how many fishermen do you know that have taken both the crafty Bluegill and a Blue Crab within five minutes of each other, using the same fly? (That little cap spider is good!) :mrgreen:

Truthfully though, fly fishing is something I did only a little of, quite a few years ago. Most of my life, I've done quite well with spinning gear. Since I "discovered" fly fishing, I've absolutely lost interest in all other forms.

I took it back up after a recent trip to Key Largo. Seems like I'm always starting over with one thing or another! Freshwater fly fishing is how I once took quite a few bass, now it's bluegills and the occasional crab. My most memorable catch in saltwater was a very nice Sea Trout, caught on a Lefty's Deceiver that I tied myself. Now, it's sea turtles? Oh well. . .

I'll get to where I'm going, even though I seem to be taking the longer path. It's the journey that I really enjoy. 8)

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
FlaMike said:
It's the journey that I really enjoy. 8)

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

And what a journey it is.
All of us should have the ability or pleasure and minor heart aches of enjoying it in the boats we make.

They just make it a lot more enjoyable. From the conception of the craft , the building ,the mistakes and corrections that have to be done , the anticipation of using it , the completion of it and then finally the use of it. :D

Any Tom , Dick or Harry can go out and buy a boat but that is why all of you are here , to show that you can have one your way (customized and made by you ) for a lot less.
I could be wrong but I don't think so , Way to many happy paddlers on the water with the boats they made.:D

It's not Jack with his BS or me throwing a fit when he does that ( it just keeps things interesting , someone has to an I'm use to him cussing at me since the last paddling trip we were on :lol: , looking forward to this new one :oops:) , it is all of you with Jack , myself an everyone else in a combined effort searching for the truth and best way to make the boat , then with you finally deciding on what to do along with the little help you get from us , for what it is worth to make it the way you want it.
That is a long winded way of saying , all of us have fun but the decision boils down to you and what you want.

We throw the spice in the stew but you cook it the way you like it.:lol:

Chuck
PS ... Everyone ... If I am not back on this computer at the end of September after the trip into Yankee land with Jack and the Yankee misfits .... Call anyone to come and get me , even my ... SHUTTER... Wife.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
...it is all of you with Jack , myself an everyone else in a combined effort searching for the truth and best way to make the boat...
And we find that there are a whole slew (slough?) of truths out there.

Whilst we're waxing a bit philosophical, let's recognize that there are not only a lot of ways to build a good wooden boat, there are lots of ways to build a good Life for ourselves. And, fortunately, we live in some countries where we are free to pursue those ways.

God bless America (insert name of your country here)! FREEDOM is doing what you like.

Reactions: FrankAS