Honeyville Dehydrated Foods | SouthernPaddler.com

Honeyville Dehydrated Foods

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I haven't tried any of there products ...but my order is going to be shipped in a day.

They have a wide selection of freeze dried foods , Survival packs of dried foods and all sorts of good things to mix and match for camping food. Meats , Fruits , Vegetables , TVP , Grains , Organics , Meals. :D
Most of the instructions say a 1/2 cup of this to a cup of boiling water and let it sit for 5 to 7 minutes and then enjoy it.
Honeyville.

http://shop.honeyville.com/

I know I will have to keep this a secret from Jack when I do this so he will not eat everything when it is cooked but What Has to be Has to be........ I want to take the plain dehydrated TVP ( Tofu ) , add some Beef Base to it to make it a Hamburger substitute and try it in some Freezer Bag recipes for camping.
The unflavored TVP will take any flavor it is marinated with or added to , just add the Beef Base to it and then the hot water to reconstitute the TVP and you have a beef flavored item.
( Actually it is cheaper to purchase theirs then to get the TVP from the store , and dehydrate it ).

Before you ask..........
BEEF BASE.......

0009830800203_300X300.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
This is one I want to try from the Freezer bag Cooking web site............http://www.trailcooking.com/trail-cooki ... oking-101/

Herb Beef with Mushroom Gravy ... http://www.trailcooking.com/fbc/herb-be ... oom-gravy/
Prep time 20 mins
Total time 20 mins

Description Meaty and full of mushrooms the sauce is perfect for topping nearly any carb.
Author: Perry Perkins
Recipe type: Dinner
Cuisine: Freezer Bag Cooking
Serves: 1
Ingredients

1 c cooked and dehydrated hamburger (see notes)
1⁄4 c crumbled dried mushrooms
1 t low sodium beef bouillon ( I will use the Beef Base )***
1 t dried garlic
1⁄2 t dried thyme
1⁄2 t cornstarch
1⁄8 t dried rosemary, crumbled ***
1⁄8 t ground black pepper
1 T olive oil (1 packet) ***
3⁄4 c water

Instructions

At home pack all the dry ingredients in a quart freezer bag. Put the olive oil with the bag.
FBC method:
Add the oil and ¾ cup near boiling water. Stir, seal tightly and put in a cozy for 15 minutes.
Serve over instant rice, pasta, couscous or mashed potatoes.

Notes
Optional: add ¼ cup white wine.
Substitute freeze dried hamburger or 'beef' TVP for the dehydrated hamburger.
*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
1...I will kill two birds with one stone by using the Beef Base to season the TVP as a substitute for the Hamburger.
2...I get the single serving bags of Olive Oil from the Deli section in the grocery store , they have them in a wicker basket over the sandwich counter and it is help yourself when you get a sandwich.
3...As far as the Rosemary , I have two large bushes of it in the back yard that I am always taking some off of to cook with.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
I've been using the "Better Than Bullion" for several years. What I found when looking to avoid making my own stocks, which I have done, most products contain far too much salt. Even the "low-Sodium" versions.

If mixed "by the label," they aren't bad at all. The problem comes when you use them to make a reduction. I like reductions to make thicker sauces, as it concentrates the flavor. If you try to thicken a stock with a thickener, such as flour (in a roux, or arrow root, or corn starch, it will get thicker, but you won't have that intense flavor.

The Better Than Bullion seemed to work much better for making reduction sauces than any of the canned or powdered stocks.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
If you want to thicken some stock a little trick to do is to add some instant potato flakes to it. Very little at 1st and then judge it from there on how you want it to turn out.
You can also add some salt and pepper as you go along , a little garlic powder will pick the flavor up as you add stuff to the stock.
I like to reduce the stock by simmering it till it gets to where I want it.
At times I do add a couple of Bullion cubes to pick things up.

For gravy I use Milk and Flour with Salt and Pepper whisked into the flour and milk mix. That is added to the drippings from the meat and stirred into it till it gets to the thickness I want.
The thing to look out for is the amount of flour you use , to much and the gravy will taste like flour. ( You can always add more to thicken it if the 1st batch does not do it )

Making a soup and the soup is to salty , peel a potato and add it to the soup , the potato will absorb some of the salt for you. Take it out when the soup tastes right to you.