Jan 24, 2004
Indiana
Bloodvein Trip 2004
By Hoz Joven

July 12-23, 2004
220 kilometers from Artery Lake to Bloodvein Village on Lake Winnipeg
Access: Wamair bush flight from Matheson Island
Egress: Free Government ferry from Bloodvein Village

Sunday, July 11. Partly cloudy, low 70’s. Worth Donaldson and I arrive at Matheson Island around 3pm after driving from Indianapolis, Indiana. We meet the other trip participants on the local beach, where we plan to camp the night. Jim Shaw and Larry Allsop from North Vernon, Indiana and Dan Benthal and Ken Cole from Chicago, Ill. All have varying experience on prior wilderness trips but we have not traveled together as a group.

The rest of the day we arrange our packs, explore the island, check in with Wamair and pay our flight costs. There is some initial confusion between our quoted rate and what the fellow figures at the Wamair office. His price is higher. The owner, William (Willie) Mowat comes in from a flight and straightens everything out by explaining the web site has the old prices and since we established our quote per those he intends to honor the lower of the two, a lucky break for us. Later we try our luck at the Island Delight Restaurant. Cheeseburgers, Poutine and the friendly waitress has been to Indiana! We spend a few minutes browsing their book shelves and I see a pictorial history of Matheson Island. In it we discover the Mowat family goes back several generations on the island.

Monday, July 12. Overcast, mid 50’s. Paddle distance 16K 7am morning flight to Artery Lake. Three planes, 4 canoes nested one single. (Dan and Ken are in a tandem, all others paddle solo canoes.) It is interesting to see how the three pilots tie our canoes onto their floats. All seem to have a slightly different procedure and we wonder which is the safest.

We are surprised upon landing at Artery Lake by Claire Quenzence, Assistant Park Superintendent of Woodland Caribou Provincial Park. Wamair has not purchased permits to land in the park and are issued tickets. I had arranged via the internet for our group to stay one night in the park before heading down the Bloodvein River and it seems Claire took advantage of knowing when our group would be coming in to bust Wamair. There are some tense moments between she and our pilots. I notice Claire is wearing an official looking uniform and has handcuffs on her belt. Ummmm, what a way to start a trip!

The pilots unload our canoes and gear and grudgingly accept the tickets. Claire motors off in an outboard to “check on some campers and clear a trail or twoâ€Â

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
NICE REPORT, HOZ! Really good job of writing up what sounds like a memorable trip. Also, what a thrill to meet up with Wapoose.

Our upcoming trip to Lake Mijinemungshing would be boring to you. Base camp operation with day trips, maybe an overnighter to another site. Ho hum. Lotsa campfire time. Scotch and popcorn.

hoz

Jan 24, 2004
Indiana
I remember you guys were heading up to GitchieGoomie sometime this summer. So it's coming soon? That drive (between Wawa and the Soo is so beautiful, it is a favorite of mine.

Be sure to visit the pictographs on Lake Superior, and Paddle Old Woman Bay, it's where Bill Masons ashes were scattered.

A

Anonymous

Friend Hoz,

Mitey fine tale tellin'. Rite off I seen it wuz a long tale, so I had ta save it fer later. Next thing my computin' machine started actin' like it the devil herownself had jumped inside. Had ta call the computer priest ta come run her off.

I went next door cuz my partner (frum the Philipines too) wuz off fightin' agin fraud. Hiz computin' machine wuz workin' jest fine. Aint no way I'd paddle az hard az ya'll, but the rapids sounded fine. I been down a few ass backwards myownself.

respectfully,

bearridge
paddlin' geezer emeritus

A man who wouldnt cheat for a poke dont want one bad enough.
Gus McCrae

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
hoz said:
I remember you guys were heading up to GitchieGoomie sometime this summer. So it's coming soon? That drive (between Wawa and the Soo is so beautiful, it is a favorite of mine.

Be sure to visit the pictographs on Lake Superior, and Paddle Old Woman Bay, it's where Bill Masons ashes were scattered.
Hi, Hoz. Yeah, we're leaving at 06:00 Saturday morning - 1 day and a wake up!

I've seen the pictographs, and tried to emulate them on my kayak Misty (Short for "Quiet - as mist upon the water"). We'll likely not paddle Old Woman Bay, but go straight ot Miji. Turn off is about 25 miles south of Wawa.

Lots of cairns up there, ehh?

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Hoz excellent report! I was with ya all the way! lol The rains seemed to not interfere with your mood or paddling....

How did the hennessy hammock do? Any problems with it? What could/would ya change?
swampy

hoz

Jan 24, 2004
Indiana
I didn't use a Hammock. Worth seemed to get a good nights sleep in his. One camp he pulled a tree down as he was getting in. He started choosing bigger trees after that.

Take downs were quick with the snakeskins. Worth was ready to leave "on time" every morning. He usually is the last one loaded up.

hoz

Jan 24, 2004
Indiana
there were a few cool nights and he admitted to being chilled. He had a down bag and a Z pad. No cocoons, Garlington insulators or pods.

Worth said the system worked well BUT, he probably will go back to tents on future long distance Canadian canoe trips. He said all in all he has had fewer problems sleeping on the ground.

I will see if he will elaborate.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Thanks Hoz.
I do miss the enclosed tent when the gear is inside and the night is locked outside.

Yet the hammock is more comfortable sleeping in.

Freezing is the lowest temp that I have experinced and that was in Georgia at the St Mary's... and Chuck was in his truck bed....

I got up cold.... but I've done the same in a tent a couple of months from that trip and ice was on the tent walls and top.... cold is cold....

swampy

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Hoz

That would be a good trip for goofing off if a person was not in a rush and could just fish along taking life easy. You know one of those trips when you have all the time in the world and use it.

Chuck.
PS. If you ever camp with swampy look out he likes it cold (under 32 degrees) and rainey , the more the better. It sure makes the ice in the cooler last a long time. :wink:

hoz

Jan 24, 2004
Indiana
I agree

I run my trips on a loose schedule. Anyone can hurry out, it takes an artist to loaf themselves down the river.

But there is ALWAYS one or two who seem start the trip behind and are in a hurry to get out. The wind layover in Bloodvein Village gave a couple of the crew the fits.

What fishing I got to do was very productive. I usually keep a lure in the water unless running rapids. Then I try to cast a few at the bottom. Usually pull a couple nice size pickeral out of the tailwaters of rapids and falls.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Hoz , what is the "way" you do your pickeral in camp?

The best fish I have ever eaten was pickeral from Lake St Clair back in the 50s.... I forget the name of the state park located there.

swampy

hoz

Jan 24, 2004
Indiana
I don't like carrying frying pan, oil, breading.

I simply filet, put em on a stick w/salt and lemon pepper and bake., Indian style.

I make a mean fish chowder with Bear Mountain Potato soup too.