Hot Weather Camping........ | SouthernPaddler.com

Hot Weather Camping........

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Hot Weather Camping........

Just wondering if anyone has tried this for hot weather camping , you know ....with the heat we have down here in the southern U.S.A. furnace.

On a couple of trips I have taken a salad with me and even when with a buddy , the same thing but augmented it with fresh fish.

The salad is a mix of the greens , carrots , celery , radishes , onions and anything else I can get my hands on. It is zip locked in a bag and keep in the cooler. In the cooler is also the salad dressing ( store or home made ) , hard cooked eggs and some lunching meat ( What ever you like ) to have over the salad , if the meat is not there then a couple cans of Tuna are in the food box to have over the salad.

OR..............For my solo trips , At times
This will disgust all of you but when I skip the meat is is some 1/4 inch pieces of firm Tofu ( 100% protein with no fat ) that has been soaking / marinating in the salad dressing , needless to say that is in the cooler. It and the rest of the dressing not absorbed is use for the salad dressing. Or you can drain it and just use the little chunks of the seasoned Tofu as the dressing.

Back to the normal one to be shared..........
To keep the salad a little crunchy ( more chewing required ) some ( Raw ) almonds , walnuts , pea nuts , pecans and even Raisins or diced up Prunes. I like to have a good amount of them , they make a good snack when in camp , sort of like a trail mix. If you don't sprinkle some of them over the salad. :D

When all of the above items are mixed up , a hard cooked egg is sliced and tossed in there ( with a chunk of cheese if it is with me and it normally is ) and it makes a complete meal that is not only delicious but cold and it cools you down before hitting the sack.

If you use the prunes , they are sweet like the raisins but the prunes will make you look for a comfort area in the morning. :lol:

I found that when I am on a river trip I get really hungry for some veggies. Steaks and taters is good , really good , and can't be beat but then when I get back to civilization I find a good salad bar. That is the reason I like this for myself when out on a river , especially since the ones I paddle are far from any restaurants or civilization. :D

Chuck.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
chuch that sounds good for a change i love salads had one tonight. :wink: :) i havent really thought of taking one paddling with a t-bone. the trail mix it probally wouldn,t make it to camp i would it it before i got there? :(

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Something green and crunchy is especially good after a few days out. I travel without a cooler, simpler that way.

For salad, I carry a head of cabbage, a few carrots, a couple of onions, and some hard cheese (cheddar, asiago, etc. wrapped in cheese cloth - dip cloth into WHITE vinegar, and squeeze it out). I shave off a few thin slices of cabbage, slice & dice some carrot and onion onto it. Dressing is either a foil envelope of slaw dressing, or EVOO (extra virgin olive oil), lemon juice (concentrated stuff), salt, pepper, and grated cheese. Dry, parmesan cheese is good too.

Maybe wrap veggies in a wet cloth to help cool them.

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Between keyboard and chair
Summer's the time for fresh fruits and vegetables, that's for sure.

Try freezing seedless grapes or blueberries on a wax-paper covered cookie sheet. You can also use peaches, cantaloupe, or pineapple chunks on toothpicks. They're a little messier.

Throw 'em in the cooler to munch on instead of gorp. Cools ya down, doesn't make you as thirsty.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Oranges travel well, better than apples, fer instance. Mom used to hang a mesh bag of them over the side of the boat when we fished and I was a little shaver. They'd satisfy both my hunger and thirst.

Dad, on the other hand, didn't like a trail of peels floating away from us. "The submarines will track us and send in a torpedo", he'd chastise me.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
graybeard said:
Summer's the time for fresh fruits and vegetables, that's for sure.

Try freezing seedless grapes or blueberries on a wax-paper covered cookie sheet. You can also use peaches, cantaloupe, or pineapple chunks on toothpicks. They're a little messier.

Throw 'em in the cooler to munch on instead of gorp. Cools ya down, doesn't make you as thirsty.

When I was working Range & Water I would be out on the water all day long and sometimes into the night. During the summer months I had a cooler with me , frozen water jugs in there for cold water as they melted. For snacks , Frozen Grapes ( any variety ). The following was not frozen but ice cold ..... apples , oranges , carrot sticks , celery , bananas and a couple of hard boiled eggs. Not all of them at one time , a variety or assortment. ( Usually depended on what was in the veggie bin at the house.)

On a trip into the Everglades with Mac , I surprised him with supper one night. We were camping in the middle of nowhere well away from any form of civilization when I fixed up a tossed salad with all sorts of goodies in it , even some sharp cheddar cheese and hard boiled eggs with a dressing for the salad. We had that and it was really good , then some fresh fried fish and beans on the side. It was a nice treat and sure surprised Mac. :lol: There weren't any leftovers.

Chuck.