Houston, we have a problem! | SouthernPaddler.com

Houston, we have a problem!

VTFogg

Jan 14, 2007
Rutland, Vermont
Okay, now I'm worried. I saw Scooter's post about wavy bottom edge, and decided that mine was a different issue. Not a "wave", but rather the bottom pinches in at the butt joint which is where the center rib is attached. You can clearly see it here:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s283 ... -07001.jpg

I thought I could solve this when I flipped it over by pulling in the sides prior to attaching the bottom. I flipped it this morning to start on the bottom, and yikes, this looks bad! Any ideas to help me salvage it would be greatly appreciated guys.

VTFogg (one of those darn newbies) :(

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
For the fun of it .. try attaching ( temporarily with clamps ) a railing to the outside of the bottom part of the side boards and see if it fairs it out.

If it fairs out the sides then mark the form on the bottom and use some outside blocks to hold the sides in place as you attach the bottom.

OR.... Is it doing that because it is upside down on the table , with the ends pushing down on the table since there is about 2 inches of rocker in the boat and it is inverted. Your problem might be called gravity.
Do you still have this problem when it is sitting on the table the same way that it would be siting in the water if you are paddling it.

Chuck

islandpiper

hey FOGGY, iI have built three of these UJ's and this is what I do......use another strip of wood,use one each side, just like the gunwale/rub rail and with drywall scres fromthe inside, TEMORARILY screw them to the sides, about one inch from the future side/bottom joint. start in the center, work toward the eds, they will equalize everything. attach the bottom.......remove the strips and save them for the next boat.

Piper

VTFogg

Jan 14, 2007
Rutland, Vermont
Fixing the sides

I tried to fix this by clamping a rail at the bottom, but it didn't work with the thin (1/4") trim I had. So I took some scrap luan pieces approximately 10" square, drilled a hole in each corner and routed fishing line through and around to the other side. Then spun the line in the middle around a mixing stick to tighten it and pull the sides inward. It's working, and with a few more adjustments I think it will work. The method may look strange, but as long as it works.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s283 ... ine3-1.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s283 ... line-1.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s283 ... line-2.jpg

VTFogg

VTFogg

Jan 14, 2007
Rutland, Vermont
Hi Stevesteve, I still have to tweak it a bit. Looking at it, the left side is going to be fine, but the right side seems to be because the two pieces were not but jointed properly and now there is a permanent angle between the pieces. I'll work at it a bit more and then just live with it.

I haven't seen any recent pictures of your pirogue lately. How's it coming along?

VTFogg

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Hi VTFogg,
A bit slow over here at the moment. I have made the breasthooks (the triangles at the ends) and am now in the process of setting out the inner rails. Quite a job though. I may be making too much of it but having decided to go for ventilated rails using 2" blocks I am trying to decide whether to go for 2" or 4" gaps. The 4" gaps have it as far as the number of blocks go and I will then use a router to round off the edges.

It has started to snow again here so the workshop is a chilly place to be at the moment but I hope to make up the rails during the week. Oh and I need to order some more glass for the inside!

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
stevesteve said:
It has started to snow again here so the workshop is a chilly place to be at the moment .
Friend double steve,

Snow? Ya mean yer in the Yankee part of England? Dang. I reckon the fellas down in the Devonshire are wearin' Bermuda shorts....'n paddlin'?

So how soon do ya look fer the global warmin' ta set in? The bloomin' round here iz a first rate specktacle. Miz Bear 'n me finally cornered the market on Cedar Wax Wings. Planted over a hunerd eleagnus that make this fruit they love. Lord we love the birds, not jest fer the singin'.

Of course, we set our pirogue out on the back 40 'n watch the birds frum there whilst we sniff the epoxy glue....a Coleridge thing. :roll: :mrgreen: :roll: :lol: [That wuz jest in case anybody figgered the off topic cops oughta step up.]

regards
bearridge
bodine ornithologikle society

The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike Phil, this plan just might work. unknown high school student