How Much Epoxy and Fiberglass For a UJ Kit? | SouthernPaddler.com

How Much Epoxy and Fiberglass For a UJ Kit?

Slowly gathering steam on this project, and I'd like to order the epoxy & fiberglass so I can get the pieces joined together. Anyone have a recommendation on the quantity of epoxy and fiberglass cloth I should buy? The boat will be built as long as the pieces allow (something a little over 15 feet, I'd guess) and will probably be glassed inside and out.

While we're on the subject- do I need fiberglass tape, too? And what weight? From what I've read here, the tight-weave isn't something for a beginner to try, but should I get 6-ounce or 4-ounce cloth?

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Taw,

You will need twice the length of your boat in cloth. You can probably get away with 30 feet, but I would recommend a little more (just in case.)

Re the resin. If you are using 4oz cloth, you will probably use about 7 litres of resin. I am not sure what that translates into US gallons. US gallons and imperial Gallons are different. The heavier the cloth, the more resin you will need.

Again, I would recommend that you buy a little more than you think you will need.

Re the tape, Not necessary but can be handy to have some in stock anyway but you will have some off-cuts from your cloth to use.

Good luck with the build mate. Take your time, Don't be afraid to ask questions and please post plenty of piccies. :D Most importantly, enjoy your build. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Questions about the epoxy and cloth .... Call Larry at Raka and ask him. he owns the place. He has built a pirogue from Uncle John for his pleasure , explain what you are looking for , the temperature at your place while building it and go from there.

One thing . glassing it inside and out then do like Mick said , double the length of the boat you want to make and add three more feet. If you do not have glass for a previous build then get an extra chunk for the butt joints .... a yard would do it.

Chuck.