How (Not To) to cook a Turkey or the southernpaddler way. | SouthernPaddler.com

How (Not To) to cook a Turkey or the southernpaddler way.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Here is a turkey recipe that also includes the use of popcorn as a stuffing -- imagine that. When I found this recipe, I thought it was perfect for people like me, who just are not sure how to tell when poultry is thoroughly cooked, but not dried out. Give this a try.

8 - 15 lb. turkey
1 cup melted butter
1 cup stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is Good.)
1 cup uncooked popcorn (ORVILLE REDENBACHER'S LOW FAT)
Salt/pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Brush turkey well with melted butter, salt, and pepper.
1...Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn.
2...Place turkey in baking pan.
3...Be sure the neck end is toward the back of the oven.
4...This is very important.

Listen for the popping sounds.
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
When the turkey's butt blows the oven door open. Or if the bird flies across the room, ( you put it in the oven wrong ) it's done.

Happy Thanksgiving! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.
PS. Someone I call a friend sent this to me. Folks living on the west side of the Mississippi River just don't think like normal folks. :roll:

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Re: How (Not To) to cook a Turkey or the southernpaddler way

Kayak Jack said:
oldsparkey said:
... Folks living on the west side of the Mississippi River just don't think like normal folks. :roll:
How the heck would we differentiate?

And besides we can't tell the difference between normal folks and Southern paddler members either.

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Chuck I trier this recipe and this is what Val and I had to eat for turkey day.
100_1239.jpg

Thing came out o the oven at such a speed It hit the guy next door and we just said we are havin somthing else this year. Had to go with Lobster and steak on the fire. Turned out OK the maters and taters were from the guys garden. he was sleepin.
Happy Thanksgiving
Joe

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Joe...

When the Turkey ricoshades around the room it is best to have a Florida Thanksgiving like you did.

Your Surf an Turf sure looks good and I will bet it was. As I said in one post the wife is at her brothers for this long weekend so guess what ........ It is going to be shrimp for me tomorrow night. The non cooked shrimp and not that stuff they sell in the markets called fish food or is that sushi ?

Mine will be done in Lemon juice...

I take what every amount of shrimp I want ( Or Lobster) and clean them , then put them in a glass bowl and cover them with fresh squeezed Lemon juice ( The tree out back has a lot of lemons on it ). Cover them and in the frig. Make sure the juice covers them and cove it with plastic wrap , not the tin stuff.... NO METAL AT ALL.

I put them in and they sit there 24 hours , the acid in the juice cook's them and when the 24 hours are over ... supper time.

I guess a person could use Orange or Grapefruit 's to do the same thing , they would just give the shrimps ( Lobster ) a different flavor. Some crackers and melted butter ( Like in your picture ) to dip them in ...... A little piece of heaven on this earth.

Same thing as if you were using the juice to poach them in the pan ( A lot quicker ) but it takes a longer time for the juice to do it for you. Either way it is some good eating.

By the way , the canned or bottled juices will not do it for you ... has to fresh citrus right from the tree and in the original wrapper :roll: , the good stuff right from the tree.

I'm lucky , the lemon tree has a lot of them , the Navel Oranges are full of juice and the Ruby Red Grapefruit the same , it has been a good year. The Tangelos ... a Tangerine and orange combination the wife like to snack on so they are the forbidden fruit. Now she did put some sections and juice from them in with the Cranberries along with some walnuts for last nights Thanksgiving meal.... Some sort of good but that is just Florida living. :D

Chuck.