How to Portagea Canoe | SouthernPaddler.com

How to Portagea Canoe

A

Anonymous

Portage

Since I haven't reached that point in my canoe build as yet. I may have to give that a bit of thought.

Perhaps an oval wood thawart rather than metal.

The more wisdom [rather than age] I get. The easier I wish to make things.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
The way I'm doing it on my canoe, is the same only a bit different. I normally sit in the center seat to paddle. The center, of course, is the balance point for portaging. So, my permanent thwarts will be tied in just fore and aft of my seating position.

The "thwart" that will be used for portaging is a nylon strap about 3" wide, sewn into a loop that is almost as wide as the beam of the boat at the center-point. It will be tied permanently on one end, and only temporarily for portaging at the other end. This nylon strap will be what rests on my back for portaging.

Tumpline will likely be two pieces of cord tied to the corners of a bandanna that has been folded into a triangle, then rolled. The bandanna will go over the front of my head. Stays put, soaks up sweat, cheap, can be used elsewhere if needed. The two cords will be tied to the portage thwart a few inches inboard of the gunnels.

A

Anonymous

Portage

If anyone trys this method, other that the original "link" man, a review of the method would be greatly appreciated.

Gator

Dec 15, 2006
East Lansing/Okemos Michigan
I agree with the purpose, idea, and use of a tumpline. The africans have carried many items this way for many years. However the best way i've found is to plan the trip without portages. Spend your time on the water, not trying to get to it.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Gator....

Your mentor ( Kayak "Yaker" Jack ) and I disagree on just about everything including portaging a boat......:lol:

I see that as you are getting older , your wisdom is also getting better. Boats are there to portage you , you are not there to portage them or as the ones of us here in the south like to say "Tote the boat" .

We "tote the boat from the vehicle to the water , providing we can not back the vehicle back enough to just launch it off the vehicle. This is hard to do at times when you have 48 inch monster mudder tires on your vehicle and the water is only 3 feet deep. :roll:

Yep ..... There is some hope for you. :D Us southerners will learn ya a thing or two no matter what Yaker Jack told ya about how to do things in the past. Besides ... who today still makes there boats out of critters hides or the bark off some tree. We make them from the whole tree.:D

Chuck.

Deer Slayer

Sep 4, 2006
This technique is also described by Thoreau, in his tome...."Maine North Woods", and was used by Indian Joe. Strange that not many canoest has picked up on this technique.

My only advice is if you're doing the Mud Pond Carry with this technique, consider a hiking stave for balance....