Hunting | SouthernPaddler.com

Hunting

mithudi

Mar 25, 2010
I have never bought a knife before however I have come to the stage where it would be a really good idea for me to get one, due to hiking in the wilderness, camping and other outdoor activities.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
If you are new to knives, you will receive a lot of advice, some of it may be confusing to you. Many new buyers make a mistake of buying too large a knife, or getting a fighting knife instead of one designed for outdoor uses. IE: A long, double edged dagger is clumsy to use for cleaning fish, peeling potatoes, splitting small firewood, and other general camp chores. A large Bowie knife is also clumsy for these type tasks.

Many users prefer a blade no longer than 4" to 5", with a drop point. A handle that fits your hand, will not slip when wet, and is comfortable is a good start. $30-50 should be more than adequate for a starter knife.

Other outdoorsmen may advise differently. Knives are extremely personal items, and often stay with us for years and years; some get lost quickly. Come to think of it, knives are a lot like women. (Maybe you should forget everything I advised.)

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
One knife is like one boat not enough. :D
Like Jack said knives are very personal and you need to think about what you will use it for,a good pocket knife will do 90% of what you need.
Ron
PS As usual I disagree with Jack on the Bowie being hard to handle. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Ronnie and I make it a practice to disagree. That's why we get along so well together. :wink: We have different experience bases and skill sets, coming from different locales.

Between us, we have a corner on brains and good looks. (Now, if we could just find that corner, .....)