Hurricane Season. | SouthernPaddler.com

Hurricane Season.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Well we are starting the 2020 Hurricane season ( June 1 , 2020 ) and already there have been 6 named depressions / storms.( a New Record ) So I'm getting a late start but a start anyway.
The Westinghouse iGe2500 Portable Inverter Generator 2200 Rated & 2500 Peak watts , gas powered , CARB Compliant arrived today , Thanks Amazon for the speedy delivery.
Now I need to get 2 , 5 gallon gas cans and one 2 1/2 gallon can to go with the one 5 gallon can I have for the mower. I can rotate the gas for the mower so I have a good gas stock on hand and have it fresh. After Hurricane season it can even be used in the car so nothing is wasted.
Then It's a 7.5 to 11 cubic foot apartment size Refrigerator. Either from Lowe's or Home Depot. I can run it with the power from the generator plus a fan if the power goes out for a few days or a few weeks. We can have cold beverages and food from the Frig plus some ice from the freezer and also keep some meat in there.
During June , July , August , October and September we limit the amount of meat in the kitchen frigs freezer just in case the power does go out for a while.
If the power stays up all the time then the little frig will be a good cold beverage source. Especially when out in the workshop or when working in the yard.

Last year we went 3 weeks without power and it was so much fun :mad: we decided we did not want to do that again. Cold beverages and a fan or fans will be nice to have.
I looked at a Generix to power all of the house but it's 7 gallons of Propane to run one hour. Propane is about $3.00 a gallon. 168 gallons for a 24 hour period ????

I found this on YouTube and I will not be using a heavy load like he is doing with his travel trailer so I'm thinking about 10 hours per tank full which is just over 1 gallon and a quarter.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Skipped the small refrigerator and got a 40 quart ice chest which does not use ice but 110 volt electricity instead. According to all the reports I have read on it , it does between 38 degrees and 40 degrees as a low temperature. Most reports have folks using it during the day and shutting it down at night for up to 10 hours without any adverse results. At $159.00 for this hurricane season it seamed like a good deal. only time will tell.
Right now it looks like it will be one very interesting hurricane season around here. Already , I'm looking forward to the end of the season on Nov 30. Then we can restock and fill the frig with everything but for Hurricane season we keep the frozen foods low ( Sorry Costco ).
I placed a order for more dehydrated foods and now have then on hand. Plus the ones left over from the last few years so we have a good choice now.
Right now they show Interest #9 becoming a Tropical storm and marching right up Florida from the keys to Georgia if it does not change direction before this weekend. July 30 , 31 and Aug 01.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Cat I hurrycane! It’s a cooling breeze for Chuckles! He’ll most likely set up his hammock between the trees in his yard and be gently rocked while sleeping through this hurrycane! The generator is to keep his “Buds” cold for breakfast! Chuckles the survivor!