I did Learn Something , Some Cool Camping while on the road | SouthernPaddler.com

I did Learn Something , Some Cool Camping while on the road

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
After this last trip and the heat while traveling threw the states going north and using motels for some cool comfort at night , I did learn something , Yep you can teach an old dog new tricks. Believe it or not.

The kids (Mary an Neil ) have an apartment up there in never , never land where it never gets hot , just cold.
The weather is warming up so they got a portable ac unit to use in the apartment and this has put me on a quest to locate one to use when out camping in the little pop up.

The camper is designed to take a 5,000 window unit but the little portable ones are self contained and are from 15,000 to 7,500 BTU units. Just find the right one , set it on the floor of the camper and plug it in , cool air while camping on the road.

I have located several ones , now all I need to do is to decide on which one to get , there are even some that are a reverse cycle for heat.

Does not matter , I am looking for the cold air but if the need would come up then the heat would be nice. Take out on the road , pull into a camping area , plug it in and then have a comfortable night in the camper. Very Happy There is nothing nicer then a bed you are use to when on the road and if it is camping then all the better , especially if you can have it nice and cool. This could open up a lot of summer camping for me down here in the land of heat and humidity during our 10 months of that pleasure.

I don't care how hot it gets during the day as long as I have a cool or cold place to sleep during the night and I think I have located the answer to that problem.

There are a lot of portable ac units out there on the market , deciding on which one is the problem. I will find one for me to use and enjoy , then it will be camping all year long , forget the motels.

Old folks do need there comfort and familure sleeping areas such as there home or there bed on wheels away from the normal home. :lol:

A good portable unit will run from $300.00 to $450.00 not the the $1,000 or more a RV place wants you to spend for a ac unit permentley attached in your camper , plus these can be removed and used in the house , a boat , motel room or anywhere you want cool air. Even a family size tent.

Chuck.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Chuck
I bought a window unit at wally world 5000 btu for my cab over camper
and I even took it one step father bought a 3000 watt inverter .
I can run the ac 9 hours on batteries, I carry two extra in truck that way where ever I am even camping in a walmart parking lot to get some sleep I can still have ac
Ron
Glad u had good trip

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
One of my trips out west , while I was going down the road I noticed a pickup with a camper on it parked on the side of the road.
Behind the truck was this small Colman generator just running away and belching blue smoke. It was chained to the back bumper of the truck with a chain that anyone could use to drag 18 wheelers out of ditches with.

The camper was closed up and he had a small ac unit mounted in the camper. You can bet he was in there getting a few ZZZZZ 's and nice an cool.

His out fit needed washing and a paint job but as I drove past where he was I did notice a stainless steel exhaust system and some really good tires on the truck. I figured he did not care about the looks of his outfit and the important stuff was well maintained.

Traveling around like that it is best to have a ragged looking outfit for anyone to look at but everything inside and the running gear well maintained.

The further I traveled then more I liked the way he did things , I was in a Dodge Dakota with a fiberglass camping shell on the back. Not a lot of comfort but a good place to get some sleep without using the tent.

A Ford F-150 with a shell would of been better. In the Smokies one guy pulled in there with that set up and it was nice , he had a real sleeping area in the back of his truck. A cot hinged to one side , it would drop down for sleeping and a fan , plus a roof vent. :D Dang , if he did not catch most of the trout during the day when all of us were fishing. :evil:

Chuck.

CamperDave

Nov 12, 2005
Southwestern PA
A/C in camper

Hey Chuck...
I was sorry to hear about your trials and tribulations on your way up NORTH....if it wasn't for bad luck, you would have had NONE at all :( ...anyway, I have this pop-up for the past 15 years and due to my heart problems, I can't take the heat too well....I've been talking about getting a new pop=up or at least an A/C - heater installed in it....but don't have the money....seems theres always something more important to get....a/c will have to wait...but when I read your last post, I can't believe I didn't think of it sooner...just get a unit that you can place on the floor...etc...someplace inside that pop-up and I'll have cold air when I need it...and if I"m lucky enough to find something that also provides heat, I'm there!!!!!!!! :wink: .....thanks for suggesting it...on another note, sorry I didn't get to meet you like I thought we would on the Miji trip...great companionship but the weather didn't cooperate at all...as Kayak Jack said, "the weather is the weather"....guess I'll have to travel with oleyaker down into your neck of the woods to meet and paddle with you...he's going with Swampy and friends this coming friday on a day trip someplace in Georgia....ok Chuck...I'll talk to you soon...camperdave

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
That is why I like to camp when the weather turns cooler and if I can make the weather in the camper cooler then I can camp more.
Some of them were reverse cycle , just need to do some digging around on the web to find the right one. Down here all we need is the cool , we have plenty of heat.

Your right , if it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck , guess that is why when something normal happens I think it is good luck. Just something a person who was born under the sign of the Buzzard learns to live with. :lol:

As John Depa like to tell me ... "Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the Bear gets you " , Boy has that Bear been winning lately.

Chuck.