I don't know what the rich people were doing tonight but.... | SouthernPaddler.com

I don't know what the rich people were doing tonight but....

JEM

Re: I don't know what the rich people were doing tonight but

I did the pork in the crockpot as well. Unseasonably cool weather here... high of 70 and rainy this weekend. Little fall preview so I thought it would be a great time to try it. The pork slow cooked with the citrus juice and spices was just outstanding.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan

A layer of sliced onion,
Pork loin
One or two hands full of garlic
Concentrated orange juice ( the kind they freeze and sell, but not frozen here)
Cook 6-8 hours on LOW
Enjoy

JEM

Similar to what I used Jack, but I used fresh squeezed orange and lime along with some garlic and spices.

Next time I might add a little more lime or pineapple. I'll try and post the full recipe. Took me about 30 minutes to find everything, prep, drop in the crock pot, and clean up and wait for dinner.

The pickled onions gave a great balance on the carnitas taco. I might just have to reheat one for breakfast!

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!

JEM said:
..... I'll try and post the full recipe....

Please do - it sounds like something I'd like to try.

Mike

JEM

Mine is a combination of several different recipes I found. I tried to write it so you can do it in stages. I did mine in crock pot but you could do on stove top or dutch oven. I tired to time the meat reaching temperature about an hour before I was ready to eat. It's a little more involved that a typical crock pot recipe but it' great for game day!

Carnitas

Ingredients

Spices:
-1 tsp chili powder
-1 tsp cumin
-1 tsp paprika
-1/2 tsp ground coriander
-1/2 tsp (or more) cayenne pepper
-2 tbsp oregano (fresh chopped if you have it)
-1 cinnamon stick

Liquids:
-1-1/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
-Juice of 2 large organges
-Juice of 1 lime

Meat Prep:
-3-5 pounds pork shoulder or picnic roast, trimmed of excess fat and cut in half.
-3 tbsp of olive or peanut oil (just enough to coat bottom of pan)
-1 tbsp of kosher salt
-1 tbsp of ground black pepper (freshly ground is the most tastey)
-1 medium onion chopped
-4 gloves of garlic, minced and/or crushed

Eatin:
- Corn tortillas, avocado, cilantro, lime juice, pickled onions, cheese, any other taco topping you like.

Directions

1) Combine the spices in a small bowl, set aside.
2) Thoroughly wash the oranges and lime, slice, and squeeze the juices out into a bowl. Save the rinds (chop into 4 pieces each). Add the chicken broth to the bowl and set aside.
3) Chop onion and garlic and set aside.
4) Mix the salt and pepper and keep nearby.
5) Rinse the pork and pat dry. Cut in half and trim as much excess fat as you can.
6) Rub the salt and pepper into the pork. Rub generously and lovingly!
7) Heat oil with Med-High heat setting in cast iron or heavy bottom pan enough so that a sprinkle of water in the oil makes a “sizzling” sound. Not so hot the oil smokes.
8) Brown each half on all 6 sides. Just place in the pan and move as little as possible, 1-2 minutes per side. Once browned put meat in crock pot.
9) Turn heat on pan down to med-low and cook onions and garlic until onions start to soften.
10) Add juice to the pan to deglaze and gently scrape bottom of pan. Pour all that into the crock pot. Throw in the fruit rinds. Add spices to the pot.
11) Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours until 195 degree internal temp is reached. Remove from crock pot and let it rest for 30-40 minutes. Then pull meat apart and discard fat as you go.
12) Optional: put the juices into a pot and let it simmer and thicken. Skim off fat.
13) Just before serving, put meat into cake pan or foil lined cookie sheet and coat with 1 cup of juice. Set oven to broil and put into oven until meat start to brown.

Serve warm.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan

Sounds really good, Matt, thanks for sharing.

I've found that a pork loin, with something added to make it sweet (fresh or dried peaches, apricots, marmalades, brown sugar, etc.) , and something added to make it tart/zingy (packaged taco or enchilada mix used as a rub), plus whatever spices you like (including garlic, of course) is a sure-thing combo.

Being inherently lazy, I use a crockpot liner bag to help save cleanup duties. It also facilitates lifting out leftovers and sitting the whole schmeere into a pan for the fridge.

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!

Thanks for the recipe, Matt. Going to give it a try.

Mike