I don't like it | SouthernPaddler.com

I don't like it

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Matt is going to love this post and Chuck will be throwing cow patties at me
this is all my own opinion so take it as that.
I have been building with some 1/8 laun and I hate it much harder to keep straight lines and waves out of. now here's the kicker I don't think you save that much weight over 4mm 3/16 laun.
With 4 mm I can glass the outside glass tape the inside with a couple saturation coats are just a coat of paint and I am pretty stout.
3mm you need glass inside and out are several coats of epoxy and that is the heavy part not the wood plus the ease of workmanship is so much better.
This will be my last boat out of 1/8 ply
Ron
Ok Mick Chuck y'all have at it

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
No Sir .. Not me.

I will have to hold off for a while all the rains made the cow patties to soft to throw much less to have a a fuel in the Zip Stove. Hang on .. Back up a minute here. If I take them and Zip Lock them Hummmmmmmmmmm , yep that will work.

Want a camping partner on your river trip ... You will be nice and warm in your sleeping bag , those wet , smelly , disgusting Cow Patties give off a lot of heat and gas. You don't smoke do you ? But your sleeping bag might by morning time. :lol:

"O" For Bears information , cow patties work really good just like Buffalo chips , the same thing but from a different location , now you know what was the secret ingredient in the grits I did for you , actually they were the heat source that added that down to earth smoky flavor. Ya know like the aged scotch whiskey does. :lol:

Texans.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chuckles.
I'm ashamed to say I am one of them but only by birth. My folks did not know any better or did not have a choice in the matter. If that is the case then it was my fault , I just wanted a big bowel of that good chili and some boats made with the thinner wood. :lol: :lol: :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I'm a Texan , Bear.

By the way don't blame Matt , he always suggests the heavier wood but will offer advice on the thinner wood. Matt always errors on the side of caution and safety even if it is a heavier boat.

I'm the one who has made all of my boats from 1/8th inch wood and suggest it for anyone wanting to save some weight. I only suggest it when some one asks me and if I feel like they have some experience in building wood boats the say ... yep try it.

What works for me might not work for you , that is life and we ain't going to change it. Now as far as the boats I build , you can bet ya ____________ fill in the blank , they will be from 1/8th inch wood. That is how I make mine , pure old fashion simple.

The 1/8th inch is a lot harder to work with but it does offer a lot lighter weight boat and just as strong as anything you can purchase off some show room floor. I took a 1/8th inch wood canoe down a river full of rapids that the rangers closed down right after we left because it was to dangerous to paddle.
The boat (canoe) did OK , It was me that ended up with all my clothing wet and decided to pull out after the 4rd day. I wanted to keep the one set I was wearing dry and the wet stuff never did dry due to the rain for the whole trip.

As I said it is harder to work with , some thought and exact measurements are required plus thinking about everything 3 or 4 steps down the road.

In my thoughts you do end up with a lot better boat , light weight and fun to paddle.

Just like in life , someone will not like it and I respect there thoughts , that is what keeps us going but some of us put a lot of faith in the thinner wood. Guess that is why we paddle different styles of boats but some of the same type at times.
It is a sharing process , good or bad. :D

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
Just like in life , someone will not like it and I respect there thoughts
That iz good grasshopper, now you must imagine yerself sitting crosslegged under a colorful circus tarp, with tiny elephants 'n Italians dancin' round 'n round. A Yankee pot roast iz cookin' in the Dutch pot. Quit frownin'.......smile on, frown off....smile on, frown off. :lol: Now imagine yerself on a paddlin'/campin' trip. The lite breeze iz dry.....'n the skies aint cloudy all day. Now imagine a deer playin' with an antelope.....it iz first 'n 15 cuz the antelope jumped offside. Ahhhhhhhhh......Zippity Do Dah. Aint that Mister Bluebird on yer shoulder?

namaste
bearridge

You cowboys ought to dust yourselves off before you come in here. Surly Bartender

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
indeed.....:wink:

There iz other ways of learnin' bout the behind feet of a mule than gittin' kicked by him, sure az I'm named Remus.  'N jest cuz these here tales iz bout critters like Br'er Rabbit 'n Br'er Fox, that dont mean it caint happen ta folks!  So scuse me fer sayin' so, but them who caint learn frum a tale bout critters, jest aint got they ears tuned fer listenin'. Uncle Remus

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Mister Chuck
I respect your opinion on the 1/8 ply and I have seen some nice craft you have built . This is just my opinion and that and 50 cents might get a cup of java , so sure not any offense meant just for my way of building I can do with the 4mm. :lol:
Ron

JEM

You almost need frames/stations/molds every 18"-24" to easily build with 1/8" [3mm].

Much also depends on the panel width in the design. Something like the Freedom, wit fewer, wider panels, will flop around a bit. But something with multi panels like the North Wind would be much easier to control. Once it was stitched up, it will be very stiff.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I think I didn't explain myself very well besides the building aspect I think the way you have to brace the 1/8 against how you have to brace the 3/16 there is very little difference in weight
If the 3/16 weighs 12 lbs the 1/8 should be a third lighter so 8 lbs actual wood used is less than 2 1/2 sheets but we will use that that means we are
10 lbs heavier going in after the glassing heavier on the 1/8 inch than the 3/16 if you tape the seams instead of 4 yards of 38 inch wide cloth and at least a quart of epoxy to do your coats on inside 5 lbs might be stretching it . might be closer than that.
I know so much for Texas thinking
Ron

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Ron,

I am hearing you mate, and agree with allmost everything you said.

No cow patties from this end. :D

The 3,2mm stuff I have been using is utter rubbish and I won't be using it again. While I think I can build a pretty nice boat out of the stuff, I now believe is is more trouble to work with than any percieved cost or weight benefiet is worth.

Over here, I can get 4mm Gaboon marine ply (similar to okoume Sp?) with an A finish both sides for about only twice as much as the rubbish. This will equate to about $50.00 extra for a 4 sheet boat for me. I would much rather spend the extra $50.00 and save myself all the extra work and struggle trying to fair the hull.

I think it is 50 bucks well spent.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
hairymick said:
... Over here, I can get 4mm Gaboon marine ply (similar to okoume Sp?) with an A finish both sides for about only twice as much as the rubbish. This will equate to about $50.00 extra for a 4 sheet boat for me. I would much rather spend the extra $50.00 and save myself all the extra work and struggle trying to fair the hull. I think it is 50 bucks well spent.
Another convert from cheap wood to quality wood. Thanks, Mick. And, it's not only easier to work with, the final product is higher quality too.

JEM

The nicer stuff is a lot better to work with.

But I can see why newbies want to use cheap stuff at first. Kinda like sticking your toe in to test the water before jumping in.

I can also see why some folks want to stick with less expensive ply. But what's common with these builders is they know how to pick through the pile and find the best, less expensive wood.

On one build, I used some some exterior "tropical blend" ply, 4mm, I found at the local lumber yard. Wasn't as nice as Okoume, but pretty nice stuff for what I wanted it for.