I Have a Dream----- | SouthernPaddler.com

I Have a Dream-----

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Ozarks of N. Central Arkansas
---almost daily. To experience a cook-off between Kahuna and Chuck. As the judge. Over a week period.
A quick survey of winter weight pants just revealed that nothing is really Sanforized these days since only one pair of pants would fit anymore. So I've gone thru the trauma of buying new britches this week, but I would gamble them all for a chance at the fantasy described above.
Anyone else wanta volunteer to judge? Tom

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
If Kahuna and I would have a cook off then I need to prepare for it so I can have a gift for all of the judges. A Diet program and book for there use, with some of my Tofu recipes in it. :D

The simple reason for this is that neither of us cook low cal and sometimes even not fat free here on the forum. I do make one really mean, tasty, delicious Tofu , Meatless, Meatloaf, it is even better then a big bowl of grits. :roll:

Now ....... I am not sure about Kahuna but I have some things I have not listed ...... for the simple reason they will expand your waste line by at lease three inches after one serving. Trouble of it is that you cannot just eat one serving at a time.

Kahuna ... We can expand the membership of southernpaddler if you want to..... No .......not in the numbers of members just in width of the members. :lol:
Then we can get into making longer and WIDER boats. :p
Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Tom

I have been talking with one of our newer members and he is a camping and paddling fool just like us.
We are thinking about setting up a trip (on a Florida River considered one of Florida's cleanest waterway's to paddle) in a couple of weeks , just to kick things around and one of my questions was about chow on the trip, here is a part of his letter to me.

My brother and I have become quite good cooks and we eat rather well on our trips. Our most common dinner would be grilled steaks (sometimes bacon wrapped), baby lima beans, Dutch oven biscuits, and salad, but we've sworn off steaks for the rest of the year so that we could expand our cooking horizons. Last weekend we had deep fried battered flounder, redfish, grilled redfish, hushpuppies, and fresh-cut french fries. Kind of a grease theme, but it was good. Grilled chicken, wild rice, and black beans with onions and sour cream is a good dinner, too. We try to make things from scratch as much as we can, and we're learning to cook more and more things in the Dutch oven (wheat bread, cornbread, cobblers, etc.).

Then Daniel told me this ...... So, if you want when you go with my brother and me, just sit back around the fire, relax. We'll take care of your stomach.

I had several dough's about going because of the lack of chow but sometimes a person just has to suffer, I need to lose some weight anyway , I was thinking about asking Jack or one of you guy's to go in my place but I just could not do that to any of you or be that nasty to you. :lol:
Man .... the things I do for this web site and you guy's and Gal's , camp , eat , paddle , eat , sleep , eat and then do it all over again. :roll:

Here is Daniel's web site http://www.paddle.yup.com for you folks that haven't been there. :D

Now on the serious side ..... Daniel was thinking that the folks on his web site and the ones of us here on southernpaddler and the ones on both might like to get together for a river run in the spring and he wants to show me the river we are talking about.
I like the idea and think it would be a lot of fun for us to get together.

I have not paddled any of the North Florida rivers and that is his home area so he knows them like I know the ones down here in central and lower Florida.

The river we are thinking about paddling and camping is the Blackwater River and I want to check out Blackwater State Park as far as camping and the shuttle service that is available for paddlers, especially if there would be a semi large group ..... ya know more then 4 people.

It looks like a really good 2 or 3 day river trip and then the hot showers at the state park before going and after coming back won't hurt anything.

Plus if it is decided to paddle it in the spring, March or April then everyone has plenty of time to get there food, camping gear and plan for the trip.

God ... I hate being serious.

Any ideas from you will be appreciated , I am just thinking about having plenty of time for the ones that don't have camping gear to be able to get it and plan a short paddling /camping vacation.

Now if you will excuse me I have to go and do a sniff test on that loaf of Italian Herb Bread that is cooking to go with some southern ,smothered , steaks for supper tonight ( they will be browned in some butter and then cooking in garlic , tomatoes , onions and a little white wine to make a gravy).
Should I have noodles, or rice, or potatoes to put that gravy on that the steaks are cooking in ...... Decision's :?:

Chuck.

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Ozarks of N. Central Arkansas
oldsparkey said:
Tom

I have been talking with one of our newer members and-----here is a part of his letter to me.
My brother and I have become quite good cooks and we eat rather well on our trips. Our most common dinner would be grilled steaks (sometimes bacon wrapped), baby lima beans, Dutch oven biscuits, and salad, but we've sworn off steaks for the rest of the year so that we could expand our cooking horizons. Last weekend we had deep fried battered flounder, redfish, grilled redfish, hushpuppies, and fresh-cut french fries. Kind of a grease theme, but it was good. Grilled chicken, wild rice, and black beans with onions and sour cream is a good dinner, too. We try to make things from scratch as much as we can, and we're learning to cook more and more things in the Dutch oven (wheat bread, cornbread, cobblers, etc.) So, if you want when you go with my brother and me, just sit back around the fire, relax. We'll take care of your stomach.

If I start working out now maybe I'll be up to it by Spring. Wonder where one can find a fork with adjustable weights? :roll:

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Now that does sound like an awsome treck Sparkey! Count me in... I should have my glucose down fer that un.
I got extra camp gear fer those who'd need it.... an' extra boats too.
swampy