I have tossed in the towel , surrendered | SouthernPaddler.com

I have tossed in the towel , surrendered

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Well I have finally done it and the Florida Summer made me do it. I have tossed in the towel , surrendered , been beaten , gave up , chickened out , tired of melting or just got older and smarter. No matter how you cut it ....
...THIS SUMMER WON...

4761904514_7ac8fd6ecb.jpg

The gold Goat is getting a Air-conditioning unit in it Monday. Been driving it for 13 years without an portable ice box in it but the heat is just getting to much for me.

Dropped it off at the local Jeepers den so they can add the A/C to it plus do a few more things.

1. Add a A/C unit.

2. Fix the latch on the drivers door since it likes to revolt at times and not work properly.

3. I am having them take the rack off the top since my chest has still not healed from the bypass surgery back in 2013. The lower part of the breast bone still moves independently when it wants to or I twist the wrong way according to it's thinking. :lol: Not the best thing if a person wants to paddle a boat.
I still have a trailer and the Sasquatch Canoe to use when things get better.

4. Drop a lockable , metal storage , box in the back behind the front seats and the tailgate so I can lock up my stuff when the Jeep is parked and I am away from it. It will take up all the space in the back which is OK since I have not had the back seat in there for about 12 years. I figured it is a good place to pack my camping and hiking gear for safe keeping when out and about. Especially when stopping at some restaurant for a real meal and not worrying about someone looking in the back and seeing my pack and gear. Out of sight , Out of mind.
2003 Wranglers don't have a trunk. :roll:

I can not complain since I have been driving it since 2003 so it is time to make some different changes to it. :D

5. Probably between December and January ......One more change is going to be some new upper doors ( the removable windows units on the doors ) with a new top that has tinted windows on the back and to top off the top it will be a sliding sun top where the front half slides back to open it up for a sky view when the weather is really nice.

The wife and I went out for lunch at Cheddar's after dropping the jeep off. Got home and washed some clothes from this mornings bicycle ride.... WOW there is a fountain in the back yard and it is right where that big chunk of the pine tree came down yesterday.
We had , as in it is gone today , a very tall and old pine tree in the back yard. It was about 60 feet tall and leaning the wrong way. We were worried it might come down and hit a part of the roof and power lines if we got a Hurricane so the pine had to leave.
The guys roped down all the branches , one by one. Then took out parts of the top in sections after the branches were gone. As they worked there way down they dropped one section and then tried to drop another larger section by making it hit the one on the ground. They missed by a few inches and the one end hit and dug into the ground , guess where the fountain was today on the drain cycle of the washer. :roll: :lol:

I dug up the line about 10 feet in each direction and will get the material from Home Depot to splice it together tomorrow morning after we have breakfast at IHop.

All of this activity has helped in one way , My wallet has gotten a lot lighter and will get even lighter when I go to get the Jeep . That Pine tree plus a few branches off a Camphor tree and a Japanese fig plus the pines stump being ground cost me $18.33333333 per foot. :shock: You would never know that tree was there when they left.

NWDad

Oct 4, 2015
I feel your pain about the sternum. I broke mine in two places in a bad car accident in 1997. The one spot never healed and in 2001 I had surgery to wire it together because my 6 month old daughter had gotten to heavy for me to pick up. It still bothers me to this day if I move wrong while picking up something or sneeze real hard. Think of you

Kevin

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kevin ....

YEP , sneezing and coughing are something else and it is a entirely different life style that you get.
About two weeks on a follow up with the one doc he mentioned that they could go back and redo the closure. He even mentioned that a plastic surgery might be needed. What I told them I can't print on here , I did sort of mention they should of done it correctly to start with. Something like I hope you did a better job with the plumbing then you did with the dry wall because I can live with a crappy dry wall job , Doctors have no sense of humor. :roll:
Most of the bypass patients get to go home after a week and Lucky me I got to stay there an extra 10 days. :twisted:

"O" Well it is just a matter of watching what you do and the other ways to enjoy the outdoors. :D

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Ah feel your pain, Sparkey. Here between my house and the water stands an ash tree about 60 feet tall. It is 25 feet from the house and guess which way it leans? If they leave the wood and don't grind the stump it will only cost $700 to get it cut. It is a must be done situation due to the idiots who brought wood up from an area infested with the emerald ash borer. The local state park had to have almost 600 trees removed due to the ash borer. I lost 3 trees from the critters.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Best to remove the tree then to have the tree remodel your home. The way I looked at it is that it cost a lot less to remove the tree then rebuilding the house or the work shop ( depending on which way it would decide to come down ) and replacing all of the stuff in there.