Ibises or Curlous | SouthernPaddler.com

Ibises or Curlous

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
These are Ibises but locally we call them Curlous ( Curl-lous) because of the curved bill they have. They are a common bird to find around water and are a pleasure to see flying in the evenings to there roost ... The wild Florida I like to see in the evenings.

Chuck.

birds.jpg

Back in the old days with the original Crackers when they were out on the water running there traps or trot lines and when they would meet up they would shoot a couple of them and have what they called a cur-lou squawk or for better words a snack on a river bank and a conversation.

They would roast the bird over an open fire and swap lies. Remember this was back in the days before all of the rules and laws, the only law was the one of survival. I have been told they are delicious and the meat is a light orange in color.

Seeing another person in those days is as rare as finding a spot without anyone today, almost impossible. :evil:

Today is a lot better to just watch them and enjoy having some wild life around and as I said there flight over you at sunset going to there roost is the picture of wild Florida, which is becoming a rare item to locate today.