Into the Ozello Keys. | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Into the Ozello Keys.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
There are those around now who rely exclusively on the GPS to navigate and that concerns me.
There's a word for people like that, LOST! :lol:

No worries, Mick. You warning was well intended and well taken. Too much dependency on technology will always result in disaster in the long run. Most of the time, the higher the "tech," the greater the failure rate. Nice thing about a low-tech approach is that it tends to be dependable. (If not dependable, then at the least, predictable!)

I love the high-tech toys! But in the end, I count on myself.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
hairymick said:
I was averaging around five knots in 15 to 20 foot following seas with about a 4 foot breaking chop on top. Some of the sets were bigger than that and each time one came up behind me, my heart was in my mouth and I was expecting it to break on my back deck.
Dang Mick,

That sounds better'n scoffin'. :wink:

Once upon a time I wuz listenin' ta some of the Rocky Mountain rescue boys. They wuz unhappy now that rescue iz more dangerous cuz folks figger "I got a cell phone.....I'll jest call fer help if I run inta truble". This fella sez ever now 'n then a hikin' fool calls out fer help. They ask "where ya at"? He sez "on the side of the mountain". :? :? :? They keep gittin' inta truble further 'n further out in the mountains.

Before we set sail fer yer place with a boat load a grits, I hope we have a heap a whiz bangs, some Esso road maps, a spyglass, some parrots 'n a bottle of rum.....mebbe two 'er three? :mrgreen:

Yo ho ho
bearridge

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines. Steven Wright

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
FlaMike said:
There are those around now who rely exclusively on the GPS to navigate and that concerns me.
Nice thing about a low-tech approach is that it tends to be dependable. (If not dependable, then at the least, predictable!)

I love the high-tech toys! But in the end, I count on myself.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

No worries about the batteries going dead on the low -tech approach , none needed. :D

Chuck

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Chuck,

Never mind the PM's and email!! I completely lost it and just ordered a Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx. :D

Just had to get that "x" version, who knows? Maybe the altimeter will make all the difference in the world! :shock: (Actually, I got that one because it does have the electronic compass.)

While I was at it, I also added a 1 gig memory card and the Garmin Topo US, 2008. After a full day of searching the 'Net, turns out that Amazon.com had the best prices. :lol: Still, my "discretionary funds" budget just bottomed out. . . :wink:

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mike... I am sure you will like it , they are fun things.

All GPS units will give you the location , direction of travel , the way back (if you set them for that , most do it automatically ) the altitude , speed , the compass , way points for your favorite spots , distance traveled and distance to get where you are going , the travel time , the speed/direction at the present time and the speed it took to get where you are , along with more information then anyone needs.
The one in the Jeep ( just to name a few) will even let me know where restaurants , banks , ATM's , gas stations , campground , motels , Jeep dealers , gas stations , Hospitals , police stations , fire stations , state parks and National campgrounds and a ton of more information.

You dial in which one you want and from your present location it will take you there , step by step , turn by turn. It has over one million places of interest in it's memory , not counting up to date maps of the States along with Canada and I can add a lot more if I want to.

The one I have for traveling in the Jeep (the base of the unit is preferment mounted the GPS unit is removable for use out of or in the vehicle ) The wife has a removable (plug in or battery powered) one for the her truck and I have another hand held ( waterproof) for me when out paddling and camping. It is the 1st one that I had and still have.

They are nice but what really counts is the person using them and as that one saying goes ... "Never put all your eggs in one basket" .

They are a big help but it is the smarts of the person using them that counts and today they can get you right on top of what you are looking for , or within a few feet of it.

Chuck.
PS. I still take maps with me.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I love my gps but I hunt the mountains in Colo and always have a compass tied on my belt and another in my backpack plus the gps.
Ron

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
this week, the folks Carol & I were riding with had a Garmin Street Pilot. It impressed me by navigating us back to the B&B form an obscure winery. Last night, I bought a Garmin NUMI 680. Can you say, "Useful, expensive toy."?

It is supposed to be able to dodge traffic jams and reroute me when (not if) I miss an exit.