Is this Uncle John or a rip off? | SouthernPaddler.com

Is this Uncle John or a rip off?

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I don't know if he is ripping off "Uncle John's design" or not. All pirogues look similar. Some features appear different to me. The ribs are much thicker. The stem pieces also look a lot thicker. There are no gunwales/rub rails. The sides look like planks or thicker ply than what UJ recommends. The stem angle looks more verticle (not as pointed). Their skiff is totally different than the Bayou Skiff. If it is a knock off, it is not a very good one. To be a real rip-off, it would have one of these:
DSCF0039_5.jpg

:lol:

beekeeper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Looks like a rip off to me , not sure about the plans but the whole mess. Especially when they say , order now at the reduced rate since we are going to increase it later.

I think they watch to much TV and especially the ads.
YES .... Folks order now and we will ship two to you for the discounted price of this special that will only be good for a limited time...... ( a year later they are still telling everyone that) :lol:

Reactions: FrankAS

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Kayak Jack said:
Wannabe said:
The advertising scrip sounds like something that Shamwow crackhead on TV would be delivering.
Now - there you go, bob, knocking my favorite actor on TV. Who else can throw something over his shoulder and hit the container?
Most pro basketball players--too bad most can't autograph it though. :mrgreen:

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
islandpiper said:
BK, i just can't thank you enough for using the pic of my boat when you needed an example of a rip off. piper :shock: :mrgreen:

:oops: :oops: Not what I meant. I was implying that the PiroguePlans.com boat needed a seat like Uncle John has if they were trying to copy him. I should have kept out of this. I don't have a dog in the fight. The internet marketing, their promoting tactics, and the plans may be similar enough to constitute a knock off. I don't know. I was comparing the pictures of the boats. All boats to some extent, are knock offs of some previous builder's boat. I don't think Uncle John built the first pirogue.

I'm sorry Piper. :cry: :cry: Please forgive.

beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
OK now, in addition to blaming things on Joey Dupres', we can also blame them on Beekeeper. Since Joey already has mean old Mr. tooth decay and receding hairlines, maybe Beekeeper can have athlete's foot and jock itch?