It hurts soooo good! (Day 3) | SouthernPaddler.com

It hurts soooo good! (Day 3)

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Well we have seen and heard many a wild animal along the way. Last night in camp I was searching for some more logs for the fire and as I walked along the shore with my new head lamp, I thought of those TV shows where the host is out at night and was finding all sorts of critters for the camera. I didn't see anything but heard a lot! But I bet durring summer time it's teaming with hogs, snakes, gators, birds, wild cats, and anything else that wonders the swamps at night.
It was to rain today, but the temp was to be a pleasant 77 degrees. I took off in the morniong in a T shirt and rain pants over cotton jersy pants. My day snacks were where I could reach them and water bottle close too.
SM%2003%2044.jpg

These guys are ready to go down river now. Chuck has mentioned the outdoor relief seat. What a deal! :D
My first thought was that this seat was a bit to frivious. But when yer sitting there contemplatin' the day, looking down on the river at dusk, and sort o' jest lettin' hit " all hang out", one has to smile at themselves at the pure pleasure of modern camping. I'll have one on my next trip! It's more than worth it's portage.
There were several portages this day. One tree in particular sweeped the whole river. It did leave about three feet of water about 3 inches deep along the Gorgia side for us to jump around on to line the boats along. Even in the showers it was beautiful and pastorial dipping your paddle down into the water and meandering along. We covered a lot of river that day. Fearless leader had to be smilling as he lead us through the final stretches of the day. Chuck stayed at the GPS whenever he had a brak from paddling. He's been quiet today... maybe it's bcause we're getting to the end of the trail and his thoughts are now on becoming a millionaire on kevlar pirogues... :shock:
My seat now is the pad that I used for laying under my sleeping bag. It can be placed further aft and it sits well. Yet I need a seat a bit higher. The canoe seat is in shambles now. I've discovered that the jeans I wore the first two days are soaking wet, the tennis shoes are soaking wet, plus my socks... water now is extra weight. The Barge is heavier rather than lighter... :cry: But the senery and the friendship picks me up and causes me to laugh at the situation. These guys are a trip in themselves. Harry had stateted before about us being "like the days in the service". I have to agree. We've bonded these past few days in way that only outdoorsmen can understand. How that happens, what the chemistry is, only those who have over come what Nature can toss at ya that day, have sat at camp fires and listen to and spoke about, can begin to understand. Sure wished you all were there. But as I have said before... you all were there in heart and minds.
Towards 4 pm the river was giving up its wild look. Cottages and hunting club land now was the main features. It took a spell to find the right camp site for our final night on the river. But we found one. A perfect spot with lots of trees and a place where the campfire would give us some nice warmth for the night.
The tarp was strung for relief from dripping trees and wind that blew in gusts.
SM%2003%2039.jpg

SM%2003%2033.jpg

As ya can see we got wet that last hour or two. Van and Harry smile here under the tarp. Even when the ropes "hang" ya it caused a smile.
SM%2003%2035_1.jpg
Chuck's site is being checked out here. He had a time that night with the hammock. And so did I! Same thing... I believe mine was caused from not pulling the hammock tight enough betwix the trees.
SM%2003%2045_1.jpg
My 'loft' for the night.

SM%2003%2032.jpg

Van readys his supper and we all sit back and recolect the days travel. Chuck has mentioned the carrot and rasin salad. It was great and the guys all confessed that we all had brought to much food on the trip. But that only ment that we ate good! :lol:
Night was windy, the camp fire excellent, the thoughts around the fire continued to be warm, entertaining, personal, and I recon I can say even "sweet". Hard fer a bunch of guys to say that, but the truth be known, it was wonderful to relax among friends and rid the mind of the daily problems we all face in the city. Sure I missed my family, but I was here sharing in something that was now a "new" family. And, just as in the 'service' each looked after the other. These guys were guessing that i was having a bit of a problem and they would check on me constantly. I knew I would be Ok , and their conserns were a comfort in case if things got worse later. Ya'll ever need to go out and paddle with someone, I do hope and pray that it is with guys like this. If you were to break a bone, drop in a fevor, this is the crew that would strap ya on their backs and tote ya out. They are that kind of men. And I believe you all are! Yep! This trip has restored my faith in people. Great medicine for the soul!

SM%2003%2044.jpg
We're getting ready to pull out for our last day on the water. Chuck has figgered out that we're only about 4-5 hours from Trader's Hill.
swampy

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Male bonding is something that women struggle - and fail - to understand. Unfortunately, so do some men. It does help to put good men together in a situation where they have to overcome some obstacles together, and can later relax together.

It also helps if they have just a teensy weensy bit o' Scotch, together.

I've never been so close to a group of guys as I was with the 416th Tactical Fighter Squadron in Viet Nam. In my Lodge and in camp comes close, though.

A

Anonymous

Bonded Friend Kayak Jack,

Reckon ya learn a heap about a fella when pucker time comes round? Some folks jest think bout Ole #1, whilst others look out fer buddies too?

Not tryin' ta compare paddlin' ta serious fightin', but anytime someone in a group gits in trouble, everbody else there learns some bout themselves.

Scotch? It figgers. No gritz, no Tennessee sour mash. Whether we cross the Dixon-Mason 'er if you do, we gwine ta fix up a care package fer ya.

regards,

bearridge
paddlin' geezer canoe clud

P.S. You remember back when there wuz "country" music? I read how ya'll had a purty good fiddler back on that northwest passage trip. :wink: