It's gonna be chili tonight, and tomorrow and the next day | SouthernPaddler.com

It's gonna be chili tonight, and tomorrow and the next day

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Well after raining most the day on Friday, the weekend was gonna be cold (cool to you Northerners) & damp, with more rain on Monday. So I decided to make a big ol'crock pot of chili with a pan of corn bread. Good eating today, better tomorrow (hear rumors from oldyaker about some BIG game or something happening Sunday). Delivered some to the girlfriend at work for her lunch.

Here is my recipe for chili. Makes a big crock pot full.

3 lbs of stew beef, cut into bit size chunks.
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped (yellow, orange or red is more visual, green is cheaper)
2-3 (or 7) cloves of garlic chopped
1 28oz can of whole tomatoes with the liquid (you can used crushed, I like the whole ones)
4 15.5oz cans of black bean, drained (or beans of your choice)
1 can Rotel Extra Hot diced tomatoes & chile peppers
2 Tbls chili powder (i use regular chili powder, ground Ancho chile pepper & ground Chipotle chile pepper)
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cumin

Put tomatoes in the bottom of the crock pot.
Brown the meat in a skillet, then add to crock pot on top of tomatoes.
In the same skillet saute the onions, bell pepper and garlic until soft, then add to crock pot on top of meat
Sprinkle chili powder, oregano, salt & cumin over top of onions, bell pepper & garlic in crock pot
Add beans to crock pot
Add Rotel on top of beans
Put cover on crock pot and turn it on, once it starts getting hot (2 hours or so) then you can start stirring it all together.
After about another hour, take a taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
A few more hours with occasional stirring and it is ready to eat.

This time I had a can (about 5 oz) of Chipotle peppers in sauce and added about 4-5 of those into it, decided I wouldn't use the rest of the can in the next few days so I just threw the rest of the chipotles in also. Added a nice little smokey taste.

For the corn bread.

Mix up a double batch of your favorite corn meal mix recipe (Martha White, House-Autry, or the store brand)
Before pouring into the pan add and mix in:
1 can whole kernel sweet corn (drained)
a handful or two of shredded cheese
Thinly sliced hot peppers with seeds removed (I use 3 habaneros)

You may need to add more corn meal mix so that it is pretty thick, you want the corn, cheese & peppers to stay suspended in the mix when it starts to cook.

Pour into pan.
Sprinkle brown sugar over the top before putting in the oven.
Follow corn meal mix directions, for cooking time & temp

Once done & cooled slightly it is good to go.
The sugar on top kinda fools the taste buds into thinking "hey, this is sweet" just before the peppers start to creep up on ya, then its "hey, this is hot, no it's sweet, no it's hot........"

DM

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Try substituting the water called for in the recipe with honey. :D if you want some sweet cornbread. It is almost as good as the little loves of cornbread you get at Boston Market.

For cracklings , use some fried pork rind from the grocery store if you don't want to make your own. I still like the salt pork ( side meat) in mine after it has been boiled and fried up.

By the way some side meat cooked up before a outing and then put into a sandwich makes for some good eating when paddling in the summer time. Nothing fancy just it cooked and cooled down and some bread. Or just combine it in some cornbread and then take the cornbread with you to have. :D

Chuck.