Jambalaya, Chicken & Sausage | SouthernPaddler.com

Jambalaya, Chicken & Sausage

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Because FunBun has never had it.
Heres the recipe I use, got it out of the local paper years ago, it was in an article about things you can bring to a covered dish event, so it makes alot. I make no claims if this is a "real" jambalaya, but I like it. Good the first day, better the second & third.

I have seen recipes that make a red jambalaya (with tomatoes) this one is a white jambalaya (with out tomatoes).

Ingredients:
1 Pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into small chunks
1/2 cup olive oil
2 cups finely chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1 cup chopped green onions
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
2 pounds smoked sausage, crumbled or sliced
3 cups uncooked rice
8 cups chicken stock
1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)

Directions:
In a heavy skillet, brown chicken pieces in the olive oil. Remove and put into a Dutch oven.
In the same skillet, saute the onions, bell pepper, green onions, parsley and garlic (add garlic last) until the onions are clear. Add to chicken along with the sausage, rice, chicken stock, salt and pepper.
Simmer until the stock is reduced by about half. Cover and continue to simmer over very low heat until the rice is thoroughly cooked, 45 minutes to an hour. Do not lift the lid for at least 30 minutes.

Makes 12 to 15 servings.

My 2 cents.
Instead of measuring, I use 2 onions & 1 bell pepper
I have used turkey sausage, but usually use a Cajun andouille, Spanish chorizo or a Portuguese chourico. Usually the chourico.
I add lots more cayenne, usually about a tablespoon or two, I like spicy. Bearridge would add Zatarains.

Some people add seafood (scrimps), I dont.

Let the real Cajuns chime in.

DM
mike

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mike,

Zatarains iz mostly cayene, but Cajuns dont seem ta git upset over what ta put in this 'er that. Az my Cajun pal Charles tole me, a Cajun will eat anythin' that dont eat him first......so worryin' over who puts what inta a dish jest aint the Cajun way. If it tastes good, it iz good. :wink:

regards
bearridge

ps They even like accordian music! :lol:

If yer gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough. Reaux Heaux's Law

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
DM.....I have had this with shrimp. Can ya add shrimp to this recipe? I assume at the very end it would be added.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
DM, that's a bonafide classic jambalaya recipe , to be served with pride to any Cajun or any less fortunate people. :wink:

As far as what to put in it- the dish originated with po folks using what meat they had to feed as many people as possible. Instead of 3 lbs of meat in your recipe, the old Cajuns might put in a third of that.

Reminds me of a story seedtick told me at the Rendezvous. When he was growing up and he caught a sack of crawfish, there was no such thing as boiling a whole sack and spreading it on the table for everyone to eat their fill. His daddy insisted that was "too much meat for a person to eat" and would peel the crawfish and make a gravy that would feed maybe 4 times as many people. As we used to say around the house when company showed up at mealtime " Throw another couple of cups of water in the stew.".

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
oldyaker said:
DM.....I have had this with shrimp. Can ya add shrimp to this recipe? I assume at the very end it would be added.

I am not a fan of shrimp in stuff, but you could add them. If I was to add shrimp, I would throw them in to cook at the
"Add to chicken along with the sausage, rice, chicken stock, salt and pepper." step. Cook them the few minutes it takes (they get some flavor, and add some flavor this way), then remove them. Finish the cooking, adding rice etc....Then I would throw the shrimp back in just before serving, mix 'em in (that lets the shrimp heat up again) and then serve.

At the Walmart here, I can get 5lb bags of frozen pre-cooked crayfish (already spicy, with the heads still on), I have thrown some of those in, thawed out and thrown in at the "simmering" step for just a few minutes, just to heat 'em, not cook 'em. Then removed them and added them again just before serving. Thats good too, but they are finger food..

DM
mike

Now I am getting hungry for this, guess I will be cooking some Monday.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Thanks Mike....I'll give it a try. Now for a good crawfish Etouffee recipe.....really spicy! Kind like I had at Johnny Whites in NO!

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
This recipe section is one of my favorites. Texas chili Cajun Jambalaya Good ole southern style Hearty Yankee stew Kahunas Polish treats. Now if we only had a recipe for sushi.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Bob! Don't get 'em started or they will give tofu recipes next! :roll:

Hey Mike....The Jambalaya is done and dang it's GOOOOOOOOD! I did use the shrimp! Thanks for the recipe!

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
jambalaya recipes are like old girlfriends, there's plenty out there, they're mostly pretty good, but everyone has their favorite.
I normally use chicken, sausage, fresh pork and tasso for meat and use a parboiled rice so it's not so sticky. I also cook the rice in the oven. Follow the recipe all the way to the part where you have everything in the dutch oven and have the water boiling, then transfer to an oven at 350 F for about an hour. This keeps the bottom from burning.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
dangermouse01 said:
oldyaker said:
Hey Mike....The Jambalaya is done and dang it's GOOOOOOOOD! I did use the shrimp! Thanks for the recipe!
Did you add extra cayenne or stick with the 1 tsp?
I like it alot also. Its a good dish.DMmike

Mike...I was tame with the cayenne...the Mizzus can't handle it. I did kick my plate up with crushed habanero, I like it hot. This was a very good recipe and yes I'll make it again! Thanks Buddy!