James River Bateau Festival | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

James River Bateau Festival

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Great post and pics. Thanks for taking the trouble!

Were there sponsors for some of those boats? That's a big project, building a thing like that.

George

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Nock,

Thanks. I mite never have seen that river....still mite not, but at least now I know what I will miss if I dont paddle on it. Wuz it nice along the banks....no people? Besides that nite with the barbarians, wuz it quiet at nite....did ya hear any combustion engines?

regards
bearridge

I've got a special message for you little pardners out there. I want you to finish your oatmeal at breakfast and do as your mom and pa tell you because they know best. Don't ever tell a lie and say your prayers at night before you go to bed. And as our friends south of the border say, 'Adios, amigos'. Bronco Billy McCoy

Nockatee

Nov 21, 2008
Tryon, NC
bearridge said:
Friend Nock,

Thanks. I mite never have seen that river....still mite not, but at least now I know what I will miss if I dont paddle on it. Wuz it nice along the banks....no people? Besides that nite with the barbarians, wuz it quiet at nite....did ya hear any combustion engines?

regards
bearridge

Bear,
The railroad took over the canals that the earlier tow boats traveled on, so it was seldom far from the edge of the river.
About 4 or 5 long trains would come through each night hauling coal and other freight to and from Richmond. Needless to say, they could wake the dead at times. :evil:
That was really about the only downside to the trip.
Nockatee