Javier's Canoe | SouthernPaddler.com

Javier's Canoe

For those of you who aren't on JEM's board, this is my first canoe. It's practically done now - just needs some touch up in a couple spots. Got her done just in time for Labor Day, so I'll be posting a trip report later.
Here's some pics:

DSCF0603.jpg

DSCF0605.jpg

DSCF0606.jpg

DSCF0608.jpg

DSCF0604.jpg

Gunwales are mahogany with maple spacers, thwarts are cherry. Boat itself is made from an interesting batch of spalted Luan plywood from Home Depot. The plans are the "Merrimac" by JEM Watercraft.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Get a cable like you use to secure a bicycle. Loop it through SEVERAL permanently glued in pieces (thwarts, gunnels, etc.) and then run the loop into your car door. Attach a lock, and close the door.

Make sure you have the keys for {1} the padlock and (2) the car in your pocket BEFORE you slam the door.

And, that 12 gauge that Gerry mentioned still isn't the world's shabbiest idea.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
At restaurants I park and when I go inside I locate a seat where I can keep an eye on the vehicle, It is hard to lock up a rag top Jeep , Wrangler. This is how I know folks are looking at the boat.

With a roof rack you can take two pieces of cable, have a large loop on two ends and small lops on the other ends. Slip the large loops over the boat then bring the small loops together and lock them, after you ran some of the cable under or around something solid. Neither of the large loops will go to the end of the boat so it is secure till you unlock it.
Remember ... Locks are made for or stop only honest people. :roll:

All of my boats have my ID (southernpaddler calling card or My Sheriff's Dept Calling card) hidden in them , usually in serveral places. :D

Chuck

Bullhead

Mar 27, 2005
Indiana
Hmmm, I never had any trouble with theft off of my truck... I did have one guy ask why I was carring a water trough on my rack though.