JEM 14-29 Pirogue | SouthernPaddler.com

JEM 14-29 Pirogue

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Well she's all cut-out and joints are glued. Waiting for epoxy to dry is the worst part. Matt's plans were very easy to follow. No problems what so ever up to this point. Can't wait to start stiching her up maybe tomorow. So far so good on my first build.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
As tempting as it is , I know you want it together and out on the water but DON'T Rush it.

Take your time , understand the steps about three ahead of where you are. This makes it easier to complete the build plus you will be able to use some of the left over epoxy for the minor things that need it to be done to complete the boat.

Left over epoxy is great for epoxy saturating the deck pieces or thwarts and any small things so when it is time to install them then you can. If nothing more then using it for the end pores if you plan on doing that.

As I said ... Knowing three steps ahead ( if not more ) helps on saving time and supplies plus getting things ready before they are needed. Remember it is nothing more then some wood , epoxy and fiberglass so any mistake can be corrected , providing you make one which I am sure you will not do. :lol:

Chuck.
PS. If I don't make at lease three mistakes then I'm still in bed and that is the # 1 ... one. That is doing everyday things around here. :lol: :lol: :lol:

JEM

Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself.

Like Chuck said, think a couple steps ahead. Also, organize and keep your work area as straight as possible. Makes a big different if you have an "oops" moment and need to react quickly with some more epoxy, filleting material, paper towel, etc...

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
As you paddle your boat you will find some drips of water find their way into the boat with you. This is NOT desirable. If you leave the stitch holes as they are this will allow the collected water to get back out of the boat. I realise this might sound quite technical but trust me it does work out. I've had occasions when I've had so much water from drips in the boat and wash from powerboats. I kinda wish I'd drilled some larger ones to let it out quicker

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
john the pom said:
As you paddle your boat you will find some drips of water find their way into the boat with you. This is NOT desirable. If you leave the stitch holes as they are this will allow the collected water to get back out of the boat. I realise this might sound quite technical but trust me it does work out. I've had occasions when I've had so much water from drips in the boat and wash from powerboats. I kinda wish I'd drilled some larger ones to let it out quicker

Calling an "Emoticon foul" on you for that one John. That reply should have had a least a winking emoticon followed by 3 or 4 laughing emoticons.

Hope you didn't anger the gods of boat building with your lack of emoticon etiquette :lol:

DM
mike

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Being my first time Ya'll know I've got some rough places in the epoxy. What grit snadpaper do I use to smoothe before next coat. Spices are glassed w/ one coat. Panels are still flat, do I wait until it's stitched and filleted before I add additional coats of epoxy?

JEM

Stitch holes get filled in with epoxy thickened with woodflour.

I like to use 80 grit but be careful: It'll chew through it quickly and unevenly if you're not paying attention.

You want to have everything assembled before adding the additional coats of epoxy.